The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Crockford's Clerical Directory

Nigel Marshall

• 11 months later...
Crockford's Clerical Directory 1932 -

Doug

Doug,

Could I beg a lookup from your Crockford please?

The man in question is Rev. H Haywood CF, whose photo can be seen on the Black Cats thread

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=111459&hl=

Thanks

Kate

Hi Kate,

Unfortunately the only H Hawood in the 1932 directory is the chap in the attached. I don't think it will be him as he left Wells College in 1924. The 1908 has no joy either.

Doug

post-23198-1227772249.jpg

Hi,

I have made a tentative link between Capt Herbert Sparling MC 7th West Riding Regt and Rev Herbert Sparling MC who is listed in the 1953 phone book for Gloucestershire based on the fact that I have not been able to find another Herbert Sparling in the London Gazette who received the MC during the Great War. There is also another Rev H Sparling in Bradford in the early 1970s.

I wonder if any Pal with access to a copy from the 1950s might look him up for me to see if a link can be found.

I have never used the directory, so cant say what information is given but hopefully something migh crop up.

Does the directory include retired clergy or is it limited to working clerics?

Any info at all would be great.

Thanks much

Nigel

Nigel

here is the entry for1965-66

SPARLING Herbert. Univ of Leeds BA 1919, MC 1917, Wells Theological College 1920, made deacon 1921, made priest 1922 dioces of Southwark, curate of Holy Trinity Roehampton 1921-24; St Barnabus Dulwich 1924-27, vicar of Buckminster with Sewatern 1927-30, dent 1930-47, Cowgill 1932-47, Address Bancroft Manor, Sherrington Bucks tel Newport Pagnell 83, Author At the Back of All things 1928

It seems pretty clear to me that he had been an officer in WW1 and won MC in 1917

regards

John

John,

That's great, thank you very much. I knew nothing of him having been an author.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 4 months later...

Doug

Can I ask if a John Chudleigh Way gets a mention? 1932 may be just too early though

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Unfortunately no mention.

Doug

Thanks Doug, I think he was ordained about that year so he may be in the next one!

Doug

Can I ask if a John Chudleigh Way gets a mention? 1932 may be just too early though

Patrick

Hi Patrick

WAY - John Chudleigh

RMC Sandhurst 1917, Wycliffe Hall Oxford 1930, deacon 1932, priest 1932 Chelmsford, Curate of St Paul Clacton1932-35, Croydon 1935-1939, Vicar of Kingsley with Oakhanger 1939-43, Winkleigh 1943-56, Rural Dean of Chulmleigh 1955-56, Rector of Broughton Gifford with Great Chatfield 1956-64, Vicar of Chirton with Marden and Patney, diocese Sarum from 1964

From Crockford 1965

regards

John

• 1 month later...

John

Just noticed this (didn't get an alert!)

Very many thanks

Patrick

• 2 months later...
There is a photo (not very good, his wedding I think with his wife) in one of the Leeds papers...

Hello Ron,

I hope you might still pick this up after so long.... Do you happen to remember the date approximately of the wedding?

I have found marriage entries in the registers for three which seem eminently possible, one in 1917 in Halifax to Elsie Gledhill, one in 1922 to a lady named Beatrice W Chang in Leeds and the third in 1940 to Winnifred E M Leigh in the district of Tadcaster, which is the correct reporting district for events which took place in Scholes (and Barwick in Elmet, the parish Scholes is in)).

Cheers,

Nigel

• 1 month later...

Herbert Sparling's address is listed as Launde Abbey, Leicestershire in 1948 Crockford's. This is the 2nd cleric today on here who's lived and worked in the area where I work, I go past Dent and Cowgill several times a year! I'm sure I have seen where he lived!

Also, of possible interest is that there is no income listed for him in 1948 so assume he was not holding a living at that time.

• 1 month later...

Doug,

May I beg another lookup please? This time for Rev. W h C Smith, who I know was a chaplain to the forces, and based in Dieppe towards the end of the war.

Many thanks

Kate

Doug,

May I beg another lookup please? This time for Rev. W h C Smith, who I know was a chaplain to the forces, and based in Dieppe towards the end of the war.

Many thanks

Kate

Hi Kate,

Unable to find anything in 1908 or 1932.

Doug

Thankyou Doug. Back to the drawing board...

Rev. W h C Smith, who I know was a chaplain to the forces, and based in Dieppe towards the end of the war.

Kate

How sure are you of the initials?

There was a Chaplain to the Forces called William Henry George Smith, he has a MIC online.

This is his 1908 Crockford's entry, can't see him in the 1932 edition....

Regards

Steve

post-1432-1258473551.jpg

Those are the initials printed in a newspaper which mentions him in passing, so I cannot be sure, though the chap you have indentified above looks to be a strong contender. Mistaking a G for a C is easy enough.

Many thanks Steve.