Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Crockford's Clerical Directory

Nigel Marshall

Hi,

I have made a tentative link between Capt Herbert Sparling MC 7th West Riding Regt and Rev Herbert Sparling MC who is listed in the 1953 phone book for Gloucestershire based on the fact that I have not been able to find another Herbert Sparling in the London Gazette who received the MC during the Great War. There is also another Rev H Sparling in Bradford in the early 1970s.

I wonder if any Pal with access to a copy from the 1950s might look him up for me to see if a link can be found.

I have never used the directory, so cant say what information is given but hopefully something migh crop up.

Does the directory include retired clergy or is it limited to working clerics?

Any info at all would be great.

Thanks much

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Unfortunately I have none that are that recent. However the ones that I do have only include those that are "working".

You could try here: http://www.crockford.org.uk/

To search the index is free though it is not clear if the historical entries are included.

Doug

Thanks Doug,

I tried, theyre not!

I (and any other interested party) may write to Lambeth Palace Library to ask for an historical entry to be looked up for me, or I could go to a very reputable online rare book finder pick one up from the 1940s for about £20. A 1936 copy would set me back by £99.

Thanks again, Doug

Nigel

Hello Nigel,

What is your interest in Capt Herbert Sparling MC 7th West Riding Regt ? Do you have an address for Rev Herbert Sparling MC who is listed in the 1953 phone book for Gloucestershire ? I have a Croxford's 1963-64. Herbert Sparling (a Leeds Man) is mentioned living in Buckinghamshire, possibly in retirement. There is also another Rev H W Sparling mentioned but no connection with Bradford. Hope this helps.

Regards

Ron

Hello Ron,

My interest in Captain Sparling is simply that he is listed on a Roll of Service in my home village of Scholes, near Leeds.

If you Visit My Website, you will see the memorial of which I speak.

I'm glad you mentioned that Capt Sparling was a Leeds man, it ties in nicely with Scholes.

The Gloucestershire phone book entry reads as;

"Sparling Rev. Herbert, M.C., Kingshead Ho.....................Northleach 352".

The Buckinghamshire connection is very interesting too, I was reading quite a few pages about him last night. This is the site of the Sherington Historical Society where Rev Sparling gets the odd mention. Perhaps he settled there after retirement?

Born in Hunslet in December 1894, he would have been getting on for 68 years old in 1963/64.

Your interest comes from him being in the Dukes?

He had a brother - Norman, a Marconi Wireless Officer during the Great War but I've only just begun looking at Norman because it was only the other day when I was able to identify him by name.

Cheers Ron,

Nigel

Worth trying the Archives in St Patrick's Church of Ireland Cathedral in Armagh - they may have copies

Thank you Keith,

Armagh is a very nice day out on its own, the archives at St Patrick's having a copy or two to peruse would put the icing on it for me!

Nigel

My 1969-70 Crockfords has Herbert Sparling after Cowgill 1932-47:

Swinden Hall, Hellifield, Skipton, Yorks.

Kath.

Thanks Kath,

I'd seen a corresponding entry in the phone book around this period but I dont recall it mentioning Rev, so thats another piece of puzzle in place.

Here's a short bit on Cowgill church.

Excellent.

Nigel

From The Times:The Times, Wednesday, Sep 24, 1958; pg. 4; Issue 54264; col E

but no obit.

Kath.

post-1055-1188335842.png

Straight to the top of the class for you Kath!

I have times access too but missed this somehow.

Thank you very much,

Nigel

1955, Canterbury area phone book.

Sparling Rev. H.M.C, Old Surrenden manor......Bethersden 241

We're getting there with a map of where he lived and when.

Nigel

Kath,

I think youre right. I'll scratch the entry for HMC Sparling.

Where did a clergyman find the sort of money needed to buy this kind of property?

Thanks,

Nigel

Hello Nigel,

You're right to scratch the entry for HMC Sparling, he only had one forename (Herbert). There is a photo (not very good, his wedding I think with his wife) in one of the Leeds papers and a brief mention of his MC. He graduated from Leeds University before entering the Church. The first article from the Times is him, he must have then returned to Hellifield, Skipton. The Library at Skipton may have some info on him, do you have the date of his death ? There will probably be an obituary, possibly even in the Leeds papers or The Yorkshire Post.

Regards

Ron

Thnaks for the confirmation Ron.

No date of death yet but working on it right now. I knew about the Leeds University connection because he was commissioned from the LUOTC, but not gone down that avenue yet. I dont suppose he was studying Divinity/Theology was he? It's not something I knew the university taught.

Cheers,

Nigel

p.s. I take it you have his LG entries?

Let me know if not and I'll send you them.

Hello Nigel,

This is his entry from Croxford's

SPARLING, Herbert

Univ. of Leeds, BA, 1919. MC, 1917. Wells Th. Coll., 1920. deacon 1921, priest 1922 S'wark. C. of H. Trin. Roehampton, 1921-24; St. Barn. Dulwich, 1924-27; Vicar of Buckminster with Sewstern 1927-30; Dent 1930-47; Cowgill 1932-47. Bancroft Manor, Sherington, Bucks. (Tel. Newport Pagnell 83)

Regards

Ron

That's great Ron, Thanks very much.

I think he must have been in retirement when he lived in Sherington because the local historical society has a list of rectors of the local church, and our man is not listed among them. He does however feature in the list of chairmen and vice-chairmen of the parish council.

Thanks again, very much appreciated,

Nigel

• 2 months later...

Please can someone look up H Tyrrell Green, rector of Santon with Santon Downham, Suffolk. He officiated at the Old Comrades of the Fifth Army march to the Cenotaph in 1935.

Grateful as always for any assistance.

With best wishes,

David

Hi David,

Crockford's Clerical Directory 1932 - Biographies, has this to say about him:

Green, Henry Tyrell,. - Queens College, Cambridge. Bachelor of Arts 1908, Master of Arts 1927. Deacon 1909, Priest 1910 Oxford Curate of Deddington 1909 - 15; served in R.A.M.C. 1915 - 20; Rector of Santon w Santon Downham Vicar Diocese St. Edmunds & Ipswich. from 1926. (Patron His Majesties Forestry Commissioners and W.D. Mackenzie Esq; Tithe Rent Charge 90l; Queen Anne's Bounty 56l; Ecclesiastical Commission 61l; Other Sources 97l; Gross income 217l; Net 114l; Pop 137.) Residence Breckland Cottage, Santon Downham, Brandon, Suffolk

Doug

Can I please interrupt this thread - to ask if the WW1 Chaplains would have been included in a Crockfords Directory ?

Annie

Hi Annie,

I understand that Crockfords only lists 'Church of England' clergy who were 'working' in the relevant year.

If the Chaplain was COE then they should appear.

Doug

In that case Annie I am certain they are not there.

I would have thought the Catholics would have something similar. Perhaps a google search?

Doug