Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal & Bar

Doug Lewis

I Have the nominall roll of approx 5,700 recipients of a second award to the Military Medal 1916-1919.

The list comprises of Number, Rank,Name,London Gazette Date of original award of the MM (in most cases),Regiment/Corps served in and London Gazette date for award of the bar to the medal.

Willing to do look ups.

Regards Doug

I have a similar list for the MGC if there are any specific queries in that direction.

(Doug, at some point may be we could do a cross-check doubly (well, trebly, as I did my own second check) to ensure I've got them all!

Regards

Phil

Phil

No problem,email me of forum.

Regards Doug

• 3 weeks later...
Guest KELLYBROD

Dear Doug

wuld you please be able to do a look up for me. Here is the info:

Private Tom John Smart 1/Norfolks

Service no: 43348. He died 23/4/1917

Many thanks

kelly

hi doug

could you please have a look for my grandfather

private/sargeant george ernest green 8812 royal warwicks 1914 - 1918 or

sargeant george ernest green 57148 royal worcesters 1919 +

thanks

nigel

Kelly,Nigel-No luck sorry.

Dave- 222312 Sjt McDonald Can Inf 1st Bar 13/3/18 2nd Bar 13/3/19

Regards Doug

• 3 weeks later...

Doug

I notice your roll covers soldiers who received a bar to add to their original award. What I want to know is if you have anything for those who were awarded the MM (no bar)?

What I'm really after is the relevant page in the London Gazette that the notice appears as after spending a long time searching I cannot find a mention of my Great Grandfather who I know received the said medal on 18/10/17.

Can you please advise me when, approximately and following the issue of the medal did the article appear?

His name was Cpl William Henry Kay, 9th Loyal Noth Lancs, serial number 10892.

Thanking you

Mark

Mark

The information I have is just recipients of MM & Bar,it does not cover MM awards.

As regards being timescales and being gazetted from what I've gathered from the forum it could vary, weeks after,being the norm.

Regards Doug

Doug, any chance you could look up pte, Arthur H Bennett, 240292 , Notts and Derby Regiment, later 21st Lancers L / 19678.

Cheers Dave.

Dave

265316 Sjt A Cross MM 19th March 1918- Bar 7th Oct 1918

265842 Sjt JW McNicholl MM 9th Dec 1916-Bar 2nd April 1918

Regards Doug

Dave the only AH Bennett listed is a Sjt 7876 rgt-O + B.L.I

Regards Doug

Thanks for the look up Doug .

Regards Dave B.

Doug,

Would it be possible to check on:

12970, Private Lytton S. Sharpe, Leicestershire Regiment (battalion unknown).

The first MM was gazetted, I believe, in January 1917, but I cannot seem to find the Bar in the online Gazette. A local newspaper, dated 28 September 1918 records award of a Bar to MM for "A great bombing feat".

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew

12970 Pte Sharpe L.S. M.M.- 6th Jan 1917 Bar- 21st Oct 1918.

Regards Doug

Excellent, thanks Doug. The local newspaper must have been on the ball - they got their announcement in a month before the LG!

• 1 month later...

Hi Doug I saw on your post that you have a listing on some of the soldiers that have won the military medal being mentioned in the London Gazzette. Is it only for british soldiers? I have a great great uncle that is from Hagley, Worcestershire, England but immigrated to Canada in 1902 with his family to Toronto, Ontario. I'm wondering if he might be mentioned. Do also have some relatives from scottland that served in the first war. Was wondering if you might be able to look up a name for me please.

His name is Eric James Bate

Service number: 55146

Miltary branch: Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry served in the Canadian Expeditonary Forces January 15 1912 - November 8 1917

Regiment: Central Ontario A Company

Enlisted in Toronto, Ontario

What I do know so far is that he won the 1914-15 Star but don't he exactly when or where in France he would have received it. Also did won the mililtary medal don't know exactly when or where won. The other thing is that on the write up I have for his star medal is that I don't if its been mistaken for the star medal, military cross or the actual military medal. If it's listed on their when and where he received I'm most curious to know I would greatly appreciate it as I don't when and where myself. Also don't what exactly his position was whether if was a soldier, driver, medic or a engineer. Commerated on page 197 in first world war book of rememberance.

He was killed at third Ypres battle. His burial is in the Tyne Cot Cemetery Passchendaele, Belgium

Any help that you can give on this would or anything that you might have on him with information would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks very kindly again Drafter

Drafter

If you go here http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/02010602_e.html put your great Uncles name in,it will give you a copy of his attestation papers,you can also order his service record which will answer all your questions.

Regards Doug

• 1 year later...

I Have the nominall roll of approx 5,700 recipients of a second award to the Military Medal 1916-1919.

The list comprises of Number, Rank,Name,London Gazette Date of original award of the MM (in most cases),Regiment/Corps served in and London Gazette date for award of the bar to the medal.

Willing to do look ups.

Regards Doug

61156[/snapback]

Could you see if there is a CSM Till there of royalengineers/labour corps

Joe

Sorry there is no entry for a Till serving with the Royal Engineers.

Regrds Doug.