Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal & Bar

Doug Lewis

Jas

Alas no,the names are recorded in alpabetical order.

Regards Doug.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that suggestion Doug went to their website got a copy of the attestion paper doesn't say anything about getting the MM. Also got his service records that says he won the MM was still wondering if you might still have that copy of that Gazette that lists MM winners if so was wondering if you might be able to do a lookup for me his name is Eric James Bate and what might say about him. I am trying to see how many places he might be listed in. I would greatly appreciate it.

Drafter

Guest Simon Bull

Hi Doug.

Anything re my grandfather Arthur Harold James Lincoln, (sometimes recorded without all of his forenames, usually as Arthur Harold Lincoln)?

Thanks.

Simon Bull

Drafter & Simon

I appear to have mislaid my book,as soon as i find it I will answer your questions :unsure:

Regards Doug.

• 7 months later...

Looking for something in my filing cabinet this afternoon and found the book again.

So once again able to do look ups :lol:

Regards Doug.

Guest Simon Bull

Looking for something in my filing cabinet this afternoon and found the book again.

So once again able to do look ups :lol:

Regards Doug.

Hi Doug.

Anything re my grandfather Arthur Harold James Lincoln, (sometimes recorded without all of his forenames, usually as Arthur Harold Lincoln)?

Thanks.

Simon Bull

Simon

Sorry I can't find any reference to him.

Regards Doug

Simon.

I have a listing of a first MM to an A H Lincoln on my 1916 and 1917 MMs list:

Gazette Number / Page / Gazette date / Details

30095 / 17 / 28-May-17 / 75290 Gnr. A. H. Lincoln, M.G. Corps.

and later a Bar:

Gazette date / Page / 1st MM / Details

09-Jul-17 / 17 / 28-May-17 / 75290 Gnr. A. H. J. Lincoln, M.G. Corps.

Is this your grandfather?

Steve.

P.S. I see the NA has a complete index to the Gazette. Darn security guards spotted the shelf full of tomes up my jumper, though... :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Doug

I wonder if you can help on this one:

My great-grandfather was 16066 Private J.H. Clark of 13/DLI. The book "Durham Forces in the Field" mentions a Private J. Clark of 13/DLI who was awarded the Military Medal and bar, the bar being awarded in 1918 (perhaps gazetted in 1919?)

Given the fairly common surname, I assume the odds are against it being my ancestor, but I would be grateful if you could check up on this one for me.

Many thanks in advance, all the best

Paul.

Hello Doug

I wonder if you can help on this one:

My great-grandfather was 16066 Private J.H. Clark of 13/DLI. The book "Durham Forces in the Field" mentions a Private J. Clark of 13/DLI who was awarded the Military Medal and bar, the bar being awarded in 1918 (perhaps gazetted in 1919?)

Given the fairly common surname, I assume the odds are against it being my ancestor, but I would be grateful if you could check up on this one for me.

Many thanks in advance, all the best

Paul.

Finally mastered the London Gazette online....as I thought, not the same man.

Paul.

Paul

10535 Sjt Clark J. M.M.- 27 Oct 16 Dur.L.I. Bar- 6th Aug 18.

Regards Doug.

Thanks Doug

As I thought, not the same soldier -the decorated Clark is described in the unit history as a stretcher bearer, my great-grandad spent the whole war as a rifleman.

All the best

Paul.

• 2 years later...

:mellow:

I Have the nominall roll of approx 5,700 recipients of a second award to the Military Medal 1916-1919.

The list comprises of Number, Rank,Name,London Gazette Date of original award of the MM (in most cases),Regiment/Corps served in and London Gazette date for award of the bar to the medal.

Willing to do look ups.

Regards Doug

I am researching my great grandfather who was a Bradford man. He was awarded the MM &bar but the information I have was passed from my father who is now deceased. I can't remember if it was his mother or fathers father. The name is either Edward metcalfe or Haste, first name unknown at present. The only thing I have to narrow the search is that he was from Bradford. My father said he was in a book about Yorkshire heroes with an image of him being awarded by queen Mary. hOPE YOU CAN HELP.

kIND REGARDS

Mega

Doug

I notice your roll covers soldiers who received a bar to add to their original award. What I want to know is if you have anything for those who were awarded the MM (no bar)?

What I'm really after is the relevant page in the London Gazette that the notice appears as after spending a long time searching I cannot find a mention of my Great Grandfather who I know received the said medal on 18/10/17.

Can you please advise me when, approximately and following the issue of the medal did the article appear?

His name was Cpl William Henry Kay, 9th Loyal Noth Lancs, serial number 10892.

Thanking you

Mark

Cpl. Kay's Military Medal was announced in the London Gazette of 18-10-1917

10892 Cpl. W. H. Kay, N. Lan. R. (Oldham).

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.aspx?pdf=30340&geotype=London&gpn=10722&type=ArchivedSupplementPage&exact=10892

The actual deed for which he was awarded his M.M. probably dates back 2 or 3 months before that.

Blast. Link won't convert! Just copy and paste into your browser....

Steve.

Doug

I notice your roll covers soldiers who received a bar to add to their original award. What I want to know is if you have anything for those who were awarded the MM (no bar)?

What I'm really after is the relevant page in the London Gazette that the notice appears as after spending a long time searching I cannot find a mention of my Great Grandfather who I know received the said medal on 18/10/17.

Can you please advise me when, approximately and following the issue of the medal did the article appear?

His name was Cpl William Henry Kay, 9th Loyal Noth Lancs, serial number 10892.

Thanking you

Mark

Hi Mark,

Don't know if anyone else has come back to you yet but your Great Grandfather can be found on page 18 issue 30340 dated 16.9.1917 of the London Gazette.

Regards

Liz

10892 Cpl. H. Kay, 9th Loyal North Lancs., is mentioned in the 25th Division history in the section for Ypres, alonng with others of the battalion who were awarded their medals at Westhoek Ridge on 10th August 1917.

Medals awarded to 9th L N Lancs under "Honous and Awards, Ypres 1917":

Major W H M Wienholt, Bar to DSO

T/Capt. H. Everit, MC

2/Lt W O Holmes, MC

14542 Sgt. R. Gilbertson, DCM (aqwarded for attack on Westhoek Ridge on 10-8-1917 per book)

13733 L/Cpl R McSorley, DCM (awarded for attack on Westhoek Ridge on 10-8-1917 per book)

25330 Private T F Seel, DCM

18387 Sgt A Anderson, MM

35562 Cpl J Batley, MM

25441 Pte J Chorlton, MM

24277 L/Cpl T Cross, MM

29774 Pte W Davies, MM

15984 Sgt H Dixon, MM

34523 Pte E Elphick, MM

22399 Sgt C Grime, MM

27828 Pte J Hewitson, MM

12820 Pte C Horan, MM

23527 Pte H Horton, MM

10892 Cpl H Kay, MM

29764 Pte J W Mason, MM

14563 Pte J Mills, MM

3259 L/Cpl W Portlock, MM

27891 Pte B J Rider, MM

8792 L/Cpl J Read, MM

34047 Sgt D Robinson, MM

13349 Cpl W Scott, MM

34609 Pte A E Storkey, MM

30023 Pte D Thornton, MM

30025 Pte J Whittle, MM

Steve.

• 6 months later...

Doug

I was wondering if u could help me.

In reply to another query of mine about the medal roll and the award of a MM and bar to my great uncle I received the following answer from a fellow member of the forum.

"A separate series of cards was maintained for 'gallantry' awards (held at NA, Kew under references WO372/23 and WO372/24) which listed these awards and the relevant London Gazette issue detail amongst other things.

However, although I can find Dick Phillips' 'campaign' medal card online at NA, I can't find either of the cards for his MM and Bar. They should be there but as far as I can see they're not, missed in copying perhaps?"

Could u please look at the information you have and look up Dick Phillips 7th Royal Fusiliers (GS/65788) and Essex Regiment(11164). I have the medal and bar in my possession and I have found the two references in the London Gazette

1. London Gazette 21st January 1919 (6th Supplement) 31142 Page 1217 (15). Entry says he was in 13th Bn Royal Fusiliers .

2. London Gazette Friday 13th June 1919 (4th Supplement ) 31405 Page 7646 (6). Entry says he was in 13th Bn Royal Fusiliers .

Thank you

Best Wishes

Peter

• 6 months later...

Joe

Sorry there is no entry for a Till serving with the Royal Engineers.

Regrds Doug.

Hi Doug, could you have a look for Harry Owen, Middx reg, g/24301 thanks Lesley

Hi Lesley

There is no entry for him.

Regards Doug.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

according to the "Offical Statistics on the Military Effort of the British Empire During the Great War" there were 5796 recipients of a Bar to the MM during the Great War. My Grandfather, Spr 97711 John Ablitt RE, 21st Divisional Signal Company was one of them. According to the War Diaries, they were awarded for actions on 27/7/1917 and during June 1918; Gazetted 17/9/1917 & 11/02/1919 respectively.

In addition, he was awarded the DCM for an action at Limont-Fontaine on 7/11/1918; Gazetted 02/12/1919.

I have the medals in my posession, along with the 14-15 Star, BWM & VM

Do you happen to know how many awards of that combination were made ? It can't have been that many.

Thanks

Malcolm