Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Bn KOYLI

auchonvillerssomme

Hi there again,

out of the blue my brother produced a photo album of my grandfather's time in the 8th KOYLI. These include the UK training camp where they are in the blue Kitcheners uniform/ photos taken prior to the Somme in France/ hospital, the decorated 'miss you' postcards and some of the reunions, some have the names transcribed on the back. They are surprisingly good quality and with a high density scan will make a good A4 - reasonable A3 print. These will be rather large files and I was wondering whether to burn them to CD and send them out to interested parties. Any ideas?

He also tantalisingly revealed that my grandfather left a quite substantial recorded memoir that he is transcribing.

Richard

I know I am asking a lot but I am looking for pictures of officers or men who served in 8th Bn KOYLI around the 1st July 1916, they don't need to have been casualties.

Mick

I may have a phtograph of him if you are still looking

Hi Jonathon, yes I would love a copy of a photograph if possible.

Mick

Hi there again,

out of the blue my brother produced a photo album of my grandfather's time in the 8th KOYLI. These include the UK training camp where they are in the blue Kitcheners uniform/ photos taken prior to the Somme in France/ hospital, the decorated 'miss you' postcards and some of the reunions, some have the names transcribed on the back. They are surprisingly good quality and with a high density scan will make a good A4 - reasonable A3 print. These will be rather large files and I was wondering whether to burn them to CD and send them out to interested parties. Any ideas?

He also tantalisingly revealed that my grandfather left a quite substantial recorded memoir that he is transcribing.

Richard

Richard, I would really be interested in anything you could provide. As for the transcribing of the memoir that is fantastic, I am sure that will be very well received.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

I would love a copy of your cd if you decide to do it. My wife's grandfather was Pte. John Tobin who served in the 8th Btn KOYLI. I have a couple of photos of him that I'm going to try to post later.

My wife's oldest brother would be very interested in your photos.

John.

Hi there again,

Richard

I know I am asking a lot but I am looking for pictures of officers or men who served in 8th Bn KOYLI around the 1st July 1916, they don't need to have been casualties.

Mick

The attached photo accompanied an article in the ''Dewsbury District News'' of August 26th 1916. The article will appear on my following post.

Pte John Tobin was my wife's grandfather

Pte. Alfred Gildea was mentioned in an earlier post.

Can anyone help with correctly indentifying the other soldiers of the group and does anyone have any more details as to how theri war and lives turned out?

John.

post-54078-028525100 1291306875.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest letayl

I would be interested in any photographs of the men of the 8th Bn KOYLI. I am researching the military career of my wife's grandfather, Capt. K. E. Poyser, who led the attack of the 8th Bn on July 1st. 1916.

Lee Taylor

• 5 months later...
Guest michelleb18

Hi, I have been researching my family tree and am trying to locate a photoof Pte Samuel Marsden, 8th KOYLI, we have no photos at all and would love to put a face to the name, any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards Michelle

• 1 year later...
Guest Moshiman

Hi

i also would be very interested in any photos etc of the 8th Btn KOYLI as my great grandfather served with them (Lance Corporal Wilson Nuttall 3/2277) and who was killed on the first day of the Battle of the Somme.

Thank you in anticipation

James

• 7 years later...

If you are still looking. This is my Great Uncle  Cpl Thomas Smith, 15658, 8th Battalion KOYLI. He was Killed In Action 9th June 1917. He has no grave and commemorated online on MG Ypres. I'm looking for more info on him, company , pals and any photos. 083.jpg.c334998930d311f2c4a2ac9732eb7e0d.jpg

Thomas Smith Jr died 1917.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/05/2014 at 18:48, Guest letayl said:

I would be interested in any photographs of the men of the 8th Bn KOYLI. I am researching the military career of my wife's grandfather, Capt. K. E. Poyser, who led the attack of the 8th Bn on July 1st. 1916.

Lee Taylor

Hello Lee

Having recently discovered Captain Poyser is on my family tree (he is my 3rd cousin, twice removed), I have read of the events of 1/7/1916 in respect of the 8th KOYLI and I have found reference to him in The Official History and Martin Middlebrook's The First Day on The Somme. I also have the relevant War Diaries from TNA. I am eager to widen my knowledge of Captain Poyser's story. Anything you can add to what I already have would be gratefully received.

Nick

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, letayl is no longer a member of the forum, as denoted by the guest prefix. We won’t hold any contact information for them.