Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Bn KOYLI

auchonvillerssomme

I know I am asking a lot but I am looking for pictures of officers or men who served in 8th Bn KOYLI around the 1st July 1916, they don't need to have been casualties.

Mick

Hi Mick

In Richard van Emden's book Britain's Last Tommies there is a picture of no 14134 Walter Popple ex 15th Platoon, D Company, 8th KOYLIs who was shot and badly wounded on 1st July. There is a picture of him in uniform and a picture of him holding the bullet that was removed from his shoulder. There is also a detailed account of what happened to him on the day.

All best

Forton

Thanks Forton I will look him up.

Regards

Mick

I think this was taken in Arras. Seated is 2Lt Jack Atkinson, buried at Delville Wood. Any ideas about the standing officer?

Regards

Simon

post-1722-1187719784.jpg

Jack your right...i think i will steer clear of that site.

Simon

Thats a great picture just what i wanted. the standing officer doesnt appear to have cuff ranks but he has an odd end to the cuffs.

Mick

I know I am asking a lot but I am looking for pictures of officers or men who served in 8th Bn KOYLI around the 1st July 1916, they don't need to have been casualties.

Mick

Dear Mick

My great uncle served in 8th Battalion KOYLI. Lance Cpl Joseph Sharp (Serial Number 27365, Son of Joseph and Elizabeth Ann Sharp, of 5, Bathfield Place, Sheffield.). He was killed 9th June 1917 around Hill60 in Belgium. I have a picture of him with my great grandfather (RAMC). I cannot upload it onto the forum as file size is too big. Do you have email address were i can send it.

Regards

Dave

PM sent dave.

Yes it worked thank you very much. I love the name of of his trade, iron fettler.

Mick

Name: GILDEA, ALFRED

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 15739

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 11 C and 12 A.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

post-7183-1187938866.jpg

was he a relative Peter?

Mick

Mick, he is not related to me personally, but he has a lot of relatives here in Dewsbury, one part of the family have his three medals and another his Death Penny.

As well as the Thiepval Memorial, we all visited Blighty Valley Cemetery in 2004, which as you know contains lots of unidentified 8th KOYLI killed on July 1st, there is a possibility however slight that Alf may be one of them. (I am not visible as I was the photographer !)

post-7183-1187969686.jpg

Just finished reading "With a Machine Gun to Cambrai" by George Coppard, who, in the epilogue of the book makes reference to the chapel in the loft of Talbot House ( Toc H) in Poperinge where a miniature font which is a replica of the font in Winchester Cathedral sits on a mahogany plinth. On the plinth is a brass plate which reads " To the memory of Lt.G. William Morris, 8th KOYLI, from a brother officer."

Lt Gilbert Willan Morris of the 8th Battn KOYLI died on 1st July 1916 is listed on CWGC and is buried in Blighty Valley Cemetery at Authuile Wood. Wonder if George got mistook the spelling of Willan for William as I can find no reference to a George William Morris with the 8th KOYLI at the rank of Lieutenant?

Wonder if a picture exists? It's right on the date.

I have him as Willan. The History of the KOYLI has him as CW Morris.

Mick

• 2 years later...

Mick

Hi there,

I know it's a while since this had a post but I have some information that might help and a picture when I can find it.

My grandfather, Wal Evans was in the 8th KOYLI and was its secretary organiser for many years after the war. I have some photos of veterans at these events.

He was the NCO that typed out the casualty list after the first day of the Somme (now at IWM London). (The second highest casualty list on the day as I recall).

He was shot on the second day and robbed (he was a good card player) but managed to crawl back to his lines and was mentioned in despatches (I understand his colleagues believed he should have had a medal but no Officer present)

He also wrote down some of his experiences about the war. He is quoted in Middlebrooke's book about the Somme.

I can let you have his writings if you are interested

He passed away aged 95, the son and grandson and great grandson of career soldiers and loathed conflict

regards

Richard

Wow Richard, you certainly know how to introduce yourself to the Forum. A very warm welcome - I am sure you will enjoy joining this merry band of men and women. It can get a little addictive if you have any interest in the Great War so be warned! :D

Jim

Richard there are many on here who would be interested in anything you can show us. My walk today will take in the area of attack on July 1st, I will lay a cross in special memory.

Mick

Richard there are many on here who would be interested in anything you can show us. My walk today will take in the area of attack on July 1st, I will lay a cross in special memory.

Mick

I've scanned his letter, written to my cousin and I tried to attach it, unfortunatley this site won't let me do that, probably as the image is too big to get the clarity. It was written when he was about 90 and his description of the what happened to him on the Somme differs from what my father and I were told by him. As he wrote the butchers bill after Day one he must have been shot on day two and he was also in a shell hole with another soldier, who was wounded, when he was shot trying to shoot a sniper. I imagine he was sanitising it for my cousin, who is female. to upload the files you need to email me at hollowhouse@lineone.net or richard.evans@beck-pollitzer.com

He also left a diary, written in later life and also recorded notes which my brother has and I believe has transcribed (he was a prewar party goer and singer/ piano player and recorded lots of old songs on cassette. The diary is very personal as part way through his wife (my grandmother died) but there are parts that are very revealing of the Great War.

His father fought across the world, being a career soldier and was there but maybe didn't see action at Omdurman.

I drove to the Somme when I was working in Paris and parked off a road, for no good reason, the place is immense.

It turns out I was parked on top of the KOYLI trench. I was gobsmacked. This is when my grandfather told me all about it.

I'm out of town in East Kilbride for a while but will attempt to address emails

Hi

My grandmother's brother was in KOYLI but don't know if he'd be one you're wanting or not. He is Arnold Shaw 39540 KOYLI. I do have a photo if you're interested.

Jacky

• 3 weeks later...

My grandfather wrote the following for my cousin in the 70's.

I have transcribed it and also attach the report on the first day's action.

This is different to the one I mentioned earlier,

Richard

I also have the Regimental history re-written in the fifties and signed by QE the Queen Mother, I'm not sure how to post that one yet.

WJEvansSommehandwrittenletter.doc

COPY_OF_ORIGINAL_REPORT_TYPED_BY_HEADQUARTERS_CLERK_FROM_EYE_WITNESS_ACCOUNTS_OF_1ST_DAY_BATTLE_OF_THE_SOMME_1916.doc

• 4 months later...

Are you able to send me via e mail a copy of the re-written history?

I am reseraching the bn. as my wife's grandfather served in the 8th.

John.

My grandfather wrote the following for my cousin in the 70's.

I have transcribed it and also attach the report on the first day's action.

This is different to the one I mentioned earlier,

Richard

I also have the Regimental history re-written in the fifties and signed by QE the Queen Mother, I'm not sure how to post that one yet.

• 6 months later...

Hi I'm trying to establish if my Grandmothers first Husband, who died of wounds on the 3rd july 1916, I'm trying to establish if he took part in the first attack on the 1st

Name: PAICE, CHARLES THOMAS

Initials: C T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/07/1916

Service No: 2641

Kind Regards

Given that he is buried not a million miles from the area, Puchevillers was the location of the 3rd and 44th Casualty Clearing Stations, it is a good assumption to make that he was wounded on or around 1st July. The date of death in Soldiers Died Great War and on his medal card is 4th July.

• 2 weeks later...

Given that he is buried not a million miles from the area, Puchevillers was the location of the 3rd and 44th Casualty Clearing Stations, it is a good assumption to make that he was wounded on or around 1st July. The date of death in Soldiers Died Great War and on his medal card is 4th July.

I may have a phtograph of him if you are still looking