Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RN Medical Staff Casualties

chrisharley9

As part of my ongoing contribution to the Roll Of Honour Medical Database I would appreciate any info on the RN Medical casualties that Im going to post here or indeed any RN Medical casualty that any pal may have info on

First lad is

Name: WOODARD, ARTHUR THOMAS

Initials: A T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

Unit Text: H.M.S. "Abdiel."

Date of Death: 10/03/1918

Service No: 350238

Additional information: Son of John and Charlotte Woodard, of 11, Thorn Lane, Norwich.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 2/167.

Cemetery: NORWICH (THE ROSARY) CEMETERY

Chris

Here's some more Chris, some Canadians and some off Rohilla that you may have already?

ROSS, G. I. SkBerthAttdt MM M/4881 HMHS Rohilla 30.10.14

PALLETT, F. C. SkBerthAtt RN M, 4453 HMS Egmont 14.11.18

COLE, C. C. SkBerthAtt RN M.3457 HMS Colleen 24.10.15

HANDEL, Thomas Henry SkBthAtt RN M.7794 HMHS Berbice accident died 4.10.19

DALTON, Reginald C. SkBerthAtt RN M.3392 HMS Tipperary 1.6.16

DOMINEY, I. G. SkBerth Att RN M.4119 HMS Victory 10.11.17

EADE, Arthur SkBerthAtt RN M.4062 (Dev) HMS Colleen 10.10.18

CONEYBEER, W. T. SkBerthSteward RN 350734 (D) HMS Devonshire 19.3.17

CHARLTON, W. SkBerthSteward RN 351054 HMS Hyacinth 17.1.18

DALE, Stephen 2ndSkBerthSteward RN 351553 (PO) HMS Birkenhead 27.9.18

DAVIS, Lemuel Wilbur Sick BaySteward RNCVRVR.6850HMCS Lansdowne 4.10.18 (Canadian)

MADDEN, Michael Chief Sick Berth Steward RNCVR VR.1050 HMCS Niobe 8.11.18 (Canadian)

McALLISTER, Neil 2ndSick Berth Steward RN M.676 HMS Ganges 18.5.16

MORRIS, Sidney Sick Berth Steward RN 351357 HMHS Rohilla died 30.10.14

PAGE, Alfred Sick Berth Steward MM? 350882 HMHS Rohilla died 31.10.14

RANDALL, C. Sick Berth Steward RN 350844 HMS Vulcan 30.7.16

ROLLS, Reginald John Sick Berth Steward RN 350785 HMS Mersey died of wounds 10.7.15

SPURGEON Arthur Maurice 2nd Sick BerthSteward RN M, 2968 HMS Duke died 7.11.18

SUTTERS, Henry James Sick BerthSteward RN 351 434 (PO) HMS Tamar died 10.8.20

WHITEWOOD, William Charles Sick Berth Steward RN 3504% HMS Princess Royal 7.8.15

WRIGHT, S. Sick Berth Steward RN 351560(0 HMS Africa 17.9.18

Cheers Ron

Ron

thanks very much for those

Chris

• 1 month later...

Chris,

The majority of those in Haslar Naval Cemetries with named graves can be found at http://www.navaltankermen.com/haslar.html where there is a zipped file. Quite a few are various Medical personnel some of whom are not in the CWGC dbase. The zipped file is an Excel spread sheet.

This should keep you busy.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Chris

a belated thank you for this info

Chris

• 1 month later...

Chris

If you look at my website www.Tunsilk.co.uk there is info on Hugh John Dingle who died at Jutland.

Regards

David

David

thanks very much

Chris

• 1 month later...

Chris,

If you are still looking I can do a trawl through the obits in the Journal of the Royal Naval Medical Service when I get back to work next week.

Also have some info on SBA George Beeching, A.M.

regards

jane

Jane

that would be great thanks very much

Chris

• 2 months later...

BETTLES - MUDROS CEMETERY. Chris, there is a photo of Mudros Cemetery in my grandfather's photo albums. One of the markers which are legible bears the following:- " Pte 1502 R. Bettles 1/4 Northants. Died 26.9.1915".

If this one of your family, I'll be happy to send it to you as an email attachment, or, if you agree, post it on this site. Lancejack.

Lance Jack

Love to have it please

there is a possible connection as the Bettles family hail from the Northants/Beds border

Chris

Chris - sorry, but I am having trouble with the image - too large. I'm a computer idiot - the instructions on this site baffle me (not difficult). Other sites, such as shipsnostalgia have a facility for communications to pass between Members, in a secure environment - does this site have that? Lancejack.

• 4 months later...
HUGHES, JOHN, TY/SURGEON PROBATIONER, RNVR, ARABIS H.M. Sloop, 10-Feb-16, SHIP LOSS Germany.
John Hughes' name has cropped up in another context. Does anyone know what happened to HMS Arabis? Hughes is buried in the Hamburg War Cemetery. Presumably he died when the ship was lost, or very soon thereafter? Is there any evidence that Hughes might have been a PoW?

Robert

• 1 year later...

Chris,

Do you have any info on Edward Spenser Calthrop?

Trained at Charing Cross MB BS etc 1910. Commission in RAMC in Aug 1911, gazetted lieutenant 1912. Spent Balkan Wars with Turkish Red Crescent and Bulgarian Field Corps. Temp surgeon RN with Royal Naval Division, sanitary section, RM Medical Unit, France, died of toxic neuritis in London 30/7/17 at the age of 33.

Could be one of my rugby players...? Is there a Charing Cross memorial book? Does anyone know if he made de Ruvigny or similar?

best wishes

Stephen

• 4 years later...
Guest Eric Birbeck MVO

A newly joined member asking for assistance please. I hold a letter from a VAD who was en-route to Ceylon Tricomalee Hospital but the troopship was torpeadoed and she was rescued by a corvette and ended up in South African hospital and returned home. Any member able to help as to what Troopship or corvette please. She was for many days in a lifeboat prior to rescue. The letter is addressed to the Matron in Chief QARNNS informing her of her experience but no mention of names of ships - Keeping mum!

I am the Chair of the Haslar Heritage Group

Wotcher Eric! Jane here. I'm sure I've come across this lady somewhere and will check on Monday if nobody else has been able to answer your question by then.

• 1 month later...

I am writing a book based on the war diaries of relative of mine who served on the Hospital ships Drina, Plassy and Karapara during the first world war.

He was part of the St John Ambulance from Sutton in Ashfield who made up the Royal Navy Sick Berth Reserve.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Andrew, a name would be useful!

Chris, I realise I never followed up on my offer to look through the Journal of the RNMS for obituaries - there are so many of them! But I have material on Fernand de Verteuil (died on the Good Hope) which I think I've posted elsewhere on the forum.

Did you ever find more on C.R.M. Baker? There is no mention of him in the Journal :(

Best

sJ

Correction, I have found Staff Surgeon Cecil Robert Morshead BAKER in Edinburgh Medical Journal July 1918:

Died on service 26 May 1918. Graduated Ch.B and M.B. at University of Edinburgh in 1906 and entered the Navy the following year.

That means I may just have a picture of him...