Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Just to say hello

Guest Morsetapper

TERRY REEVES. thanks for your suggestion for a book.it wasn't at any of the Telford and Wrekin libraries.so i've ordered a brand new copy for Amanda from Waterstones,she'll have it in 10 days.

JOHN. i take it you are talking about the thread on "Utterly Nutterly" about an embarassing problem !!.i am running out of places to HIDE.as you can well imagine i isn't difficult to track me down at the moment !!

STEVEN :ph34r:

Amanda,

I don't know if you and hubby are members of the WFA but in the latest issue of Stand To Jim Fanning's Web Watching page is all about Women at War.

If you don't subscribe I would be happy to post a list of the web sites he offers.

Just a quick aside, during my Open University studies I was lucky enough to meet Arthur Marwick whilst on summer school in York. A strange man but a brilliant historian. :D

Martyn

Just a quick aside, during my Open University studies I was lucky enough to meet Arthur Marwick whilst on summer school in York. A strange man but a brilliant historian. :D

Martyn,

I presume you are talking about A318 - what year were you there? I think I attended 1998, possibly 1999 ... Clive Emsley was also lecturing and I think heir designate to Arthur - a strange but engaging fellow.

Morsetapper the name brings bad memories. When I was drafted into the US Army years ago it, in its wisdom decided to make a radio opertor of me. I spent 6 hours a day receiving morse and an hour sending it in training. It is calculated to drive one insane and some really did go off. I finally got myself into a more bearable MOS but will never forget that incessant noise!

Guest MRS STEVEN

Signals, have borrowed "Women at war" from the library, it's in v.poor

condition though. tried to get a new one but it's now out of print, have ordered one similar.

Terry Reeves, "Deluge" is also on order.

SueL, "Working for victory" has "disappered"!

Martyn Gibson, no, we do not subscribe as yet, and i would really appriciate a

copy of that list, if you wouldn't mind?

thank you to all of you for your very kind help so far!

amanda xx :)

Signals,

It was 1995 and 1996 A318 was a very interesting course and probably the best one I studied.

Amanda, List as requested.....

www.snwn.org

www.westcalder.co.uk

www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk

www.anzacday.org.au/history/ww1/homefront.women.html

www.pro.gov.uk/pathways/firstworldwar/spotlights/antiwar.htm

www.oah.org/pubs/magazine/ww1/dumenil.html

www.qmuc.ac.uk/hn/hww/ww1.html

www.ppu.org.uk/learn/infodocs/people/pst_vera.html

www.edithcavell.org.uk/

www.culpitt-war-diary.org.uk/index.htm

www.ww1-propaganda-cards.com/mata_hari.html

www.h-net.msu.edu/~women/threads/disc-death.html

www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women20.html

Happy hunting :D

Martyn

Guest Morsetapper

Hi Paul,

Like yourself during my military service I served as a Telegraphist, strangely enough though I enjoyed the Morse side of things. Must admit though got fed up with transmiting "Best Bent Wire" because the instructor said it was good practice for your wrist!!!! Always found it Mr Reliable when all else failed.

What is an MOS?

Think I'm going to enjoy this site. Thank you to all of you for your welcome, I'm glad I made the jump to join :D

Morsetapper

Amanda,

After putting up the last post remembered I wanted to add the following.

A good book about women during WW1 that particularly stuck with me was

by Lynn Macdonald - The Roses of No Man's Land Published by Penguin ISBN

0-14-017866-X. It's the only book about the period that my wife has read (She is a nurse) and she throughly enjoyed it.

Hang on this could be a whole new thread "What have you given your wife to read about WW1" ..........Sorry I'll get my coat!!!!

Martyn

Martyn

Guest MRS STEVEN
Amanda,

After putting up the last post remembered I wanted to add the following.

A good book about women during WW1 that particularly stuck with me was

by Lynn Macdonald - The Roses of No Man's Land Published by Penguin ISBN

0-14-017866-X. It's the only book about the period that my wife has read (She is a nurse) and she throughly enjoyed it.

Hang on this could be a whole new thread "What have you given your wife to read about WW1" ..........Sorry I'll get my coat!!!!

Martyn

Martyn

Don't worry too much martyn, there aren't many women who take much of an interest in their blokes hobby. most would probably only read what they were given to be polite! lucky for some that there are those of us who do care, and get just as wrapped up! not to say that the blokes don't take an interest in our hobbies too. for instance, steve just loves to listen to me rabbit on about haircuts!( i'm a salon manager) :P

p.s. ta for the web sites! that will keep me busy!

Sorry Morsetapper but it looks like your tread as been hijacked :unsure: .

Garth & John just for you, here is the drawing.

Clearly it is time for Chris to commission the forum Christmas card for the end of the year. I think we have solved the problem of the "next" forum product.....

What do other pals think?