Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Just to say hello

Guest Morsetapper

Guest Morsetapper

Hi everyone, I have been viewing the site for some time and finally taken the plunge and joined.

I am interested in learning more about the 'Sheffield Pals' and communications on the battlefields not just on the western front but in all theatres.

I look forward to some lively debate and humour, all of which I have already viewed on some of the topics covered.

Morsetapper.

Welcome to the forum.

In case you have not already seen this, have a look at this earlier thread on signalling equipment.

Signalling

Neil

Yes and its a pencil drawing, I can't paint that well, unless its a wall.

Annette

Looks good - but any chance of posting a bigger piccie?

John

Yes and its a pencil drawing, I can't paint that well, unless its a wall.

Hi Annette:

I thought it was an original Burgoyne. Oh ya, my wife claims I can't paint a wall if my life depended on it. :lol:

As John has suggested, how about posting a larger sized image of your drawing. Thanks.

Garth

Guest Morsetapper

Annette, don't worry it is very good. You have a special talent and should show it off. I'm very impressed. You can hijack my thread anytime

:D

Morsetapper

Getting back to your original post - I havnt visited the Accrington pals website for quite a while but I seem to remember there's quite a bit about the Sheffield lads. Apologies if you already know this.

John

Hi Morsetapper,

Is there anything in particular that you are interested in learning about the Sheffield Pals? Do you need me to recommend any books?

Regards

Andy

Guest Morsetapper

John, Thanks I haven't visited this site yet do you have the address for it?

Andy, I'm a sponge at the moment and would welcome any recommendations about books, sites or any other points of information. I don't have any particular area of interest it is just general. I am a Sheffield lad myself although many years have now passed since I lived there.

Thank you all for your posts you are all very generous in your support

:D

Morsetapper,

http://www.btinternet.com/~a.jackson/city.htm

This site is first class. One of my favourite websites.

The best book is probably 'City Battalion: A history of the Battalion raised by Sheffield in WWI' by Ralph Gibson and Paul Oldfield. It was published circa 1988 and, unfortunately, has been out of print for a few years. The main library in Sheffield should have a copy.

There is also a book called ' A History of the 12th Service Battalion- Yorkshire and Lancaster Regiment 'by Richard Sparling, who actually served in the battalion. He was a reporter on the Sheffield Daily Telegraph. Understandably, this book has been out of print for years, Again, I would imagine that there is a copy in the library.

You must also read 'Covenant with Death' by John Harris. This is a fictionalized account of a Kitchener battalion, based on the experiences of the Sheffield City Battalion. You might have more luck in tracking this title down.

If you require any specific information on actions/individuals, please let me know.

Kind Regards

Andy

Garth & John just for you, here is the drawing.

Thanks Annette, it's a beauty!

Like Myrtle, I'd also like to know the size of the original.

Garth

Hi Morsetapper,

Welcome aboard!

you may want to pick up 'The 50th Battalion in No Man's Land' by I think Victor Wheeler. He was a signaller in the CEF and he details quite a few communications systems in passing.

Take care,

Neil

Annette - Pencilwork is fantastic - I can 'feel' the tension that MG team is obviously experiencing. A shadowy, murky drawing which captures my childhood image of WW1 trench fighting perfectly.

To Morsetapper - I'm sure you'll enjoy this forum. I only joined in late December but the learning process has been swift

Guest MRS STEVEN

i've just joined up too. i'm interested in learning more about what the women left at home did for the war effort. can any body suggest a good place to start?

amanda :unsure:

Amanda try http://learningcurve.pro.gov.uk/homefront/...ies/default.htm

its a long time since I browsed it but I thought it good enough to add to my favourites - as I recall it was good for beginners (sorry of this does not include you).

Also there are several good books on WW1 women and war ... try Women at War 1914-1918 by Arthur Marwick, Behind the Lines (a collection of academic writings on WW1 and WW2) edited by ? (I can find out if yr interested) and there are probably some good books that cut across the Suffagette movement and womens war involvement.

Amanda - try:

'Working for Victory' by Diana Condell and Jean Liddiard. It's a collection of wonderful photos of women doing every imaginable job during the Great War, with explanatory text - but the photos are enough by themselves. Apart from the well-known occupations there were leather workers, railway porters, tyre makers, welders, underground guards, colliery workers.... the list is endless.

It should be easily available on library loan.

Regards - Sue

Signals and SueL. thanks for the tips for the books.thankfully both are available in the libraries in the Telford and Wrekin area.i've had them both transferred to our local branch.they'll be with us on thurday.that will get Amanda started. STEVEN :)