Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Black" Officers

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

During World War I he was a British army staff officer in France, attaining the rank of colonel. If you look closely, you can see 2 overseas service chevrons.

post-3-1073341339.jpg

Andy ... I didnt mean to infer that Ranji had seen active service, simply that my dodgy memory recalls seeing him dressed as an officer during WW1 (almost definitely this photo would have been taken in early 1915). Unfortunately I dont have any cricket books at hand that have that photo but his obituary in the Wisden Anthology only makes mention of his cricketing career and that he happened to be HH The Jam Saheb of Nawanagar, born 10 Sept 1872, died 2 April 1933. It does refer to him as being "stout" when he last played in 1920 and my memory recalls a portly Ranjitsinhji in the photo of 1915. If I get the opportunity I will investigate further in due course. It is also worthy to note that despite his colour his princely birth led him to playing for England (I dont India was a Test playing nation at that time)

Hussar thats the chap ... my last posting crossed with yrs. Interesting that he has overseas service chevrons and served on the Staff in France.

Signals/ Hussar,

Absolutely fascinating... He was certainly a remarkable man. I didn't realise that he played a few games of first class cricket after the war. It must have been incredibly difficult batting with one eye; I find it hard enough with two. I will definitely order one of his biographies tomorrow.

I may be wrong, but I don't think India became a test playing nation until the 1930s. Incidentally, his nephew Duleepsinhji also played cricket for England in the late 1920s.

Please let me know if either of you come across any further details of his service in France. I would be very interested to find out more.

Kind Regards

Andy

PS Signals, if you remember the title of the book with the photo of Ranji and WG, please e-mail me. Thanks.

Andy,

Please remind me if I dont respond re the photo ... about 95% of my cricket book collection never migrated from my parents house (I moved out in 1990!) so will try to remember to have a look next time Im there. But please do remind me if I dont get back to you.

Signals,

'His Majesty the King-Emperor has been graciously pleased to approve of the appointment of His Highness Jam Shri Ranjitsinhji Vibhaji, Jam of Nawanagar, as Honorary Major in the Army'

From London Gazette, 8th December 1914

I think that he ended up as a Colonel, but have not yet found any evidence of this.

It seems that quite a few Indians given honorary ranks before and during the war.

The King of Siam was even made an honorary general in 1915!

Regards

Andy

One rule for us and another for "them" by the sounds of it. Ranji was an interesting charachter though. I think it was you that mentioned his nephew Duleep. Not sure on the date or teh accuracy as this ig comin from something I read about 20 yrs ago but when Duleep made his debut or Lords debut for England he scored 133 or tehreabouts and was rather pleased with himself. He got back to teh Long Room only to be chastised by Ranji for playing the wrong shot and giving his wicket away.

I havent tried to double check this and apologise if some of the accuracy is wanting but the jist of the story is true.

According to his obituary in the Times, Ranji (apologies to non-cricket lovers) eventually attained the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel. Apparently, he served on the staff of Sir John French. !

The Duleep story doesn't surprise me; he was supposed to be a bit of a perfectionist in his approach to the game.

Incidentally, I discovered yesterday that another one of Ranji's nephews was the first Indian commissioned officer to be awarded the DSO.

His name was Major Raj Kumar Rajendrasinhji, 2nd Royal Lancers, Indian Army. The incident took place in April 1941.

Apologies to the non-cricketing lovers but in continuation of the story of Ranji ...

I was unable to find a book with a copy of the photo I orignally referred to although is some ways we have passed that stage as Ranji's service has been confirmed and other photos of him in uniform have been posted by Hussar.

However I found in my modest cricket book collection a biography of Ranji by Alan Ross and it has a full chapter on Ranji during WW1!

By the time WW1 broke out Ranji's 1st class cricket career had ended and he was working in the administration of his State. He immediately offered his services and those of the State to the Allies. These included squadrons of his own lancers, ambulances and also he turned over his house at Staines as an officer's hospital.

Ranji was initially att. to the Staff of General Cookson with rank of Honorary Major. Subsequently he went to France as ADC to FM French. He spent over a year on the WF and was at Neuve Chapelle when it was under bombardment. He participated in a machine gun course and had tried to obtain flying lessons to serve in the RFC. He had been openly critical that because he was a Prince he was denied any real risk taking on the WF.

He returned to the UK on sick leave in the summer of 1915 (but served a year in France??) and sustained his eye injury. After convalescing he was eager to return to the Front but was ordered back to India by the Viceroy to attend his daughter's wedding. Much to his chagrin he was never to return to the WF although just before the war's end he was offered a position on Haig's Staff although in practice it was unfeasible he could take up this post. His non-return to the WF was partly because there was a terrible faminine and increased poverty in his State from 1916 onwards and the British Gvmt preferred Ranji to use his administration abilities towards a resolution of his State's internal problems.

His nephew, Dajiraj was killed in action on the WF and another nephew, Savaisinhji, was wounded serving in East Africa.

In the New Years Honours List of 1919, Ranji was made Lt-Col and appointed a GBE. He then served as one of three Indian representatives on the League of Nations.

There is also a photo (too dark to scan) of Ranji standing at the Cenotaph in the front row behind the King. The photo is undated but to emphasise the prominence Ranji and other Indian princes were shoulder to shoulder with the PoW and Duke of York. There are other Indians directly behind and I wonder if this was a particular remembrance for Indian troops.

His comeback for Sussex in 1920 was a failure and only lasted 3 innings from what I can make out.

Thats about it.

Thanks for that Signals.

He certainly seems to have had an army of nephews!

Is the biography any good? It seems as though there are several available and I don't know which one to order.

The most recent one would appear to be 'Batting for Empire'. From the various reviews, it does not seem particularly complimentary about him.

Regards

Andy

Andy,

This was published in 1987 or 1988 and I vaguely recall reading it back then ... it crossed over my passion for cricket and history ... but I didnt even remember I had it until Friday night. However it is written by Alan Ross and I would regard him as not quite elite (Cardus, Swanton, etc) but very close.

Sorry if this doesnt help very much!

Sigs

Jumping back to the subject of 'ordinary' black soldiers - Walter Tull was the subject of a Radio 4 afternoon play during the Black History Month in October last.

Walter and his brother Edward were separated young and adopted by different families. Edward got a good education and became (I think) a doctor. Walter was not so lucky but became an amateur and then professional footballer (is there a soccer equivalent of Wisden, to expand on this?).

He volunteered for a "Sportsman's Bn" becoming a highly competent platoon sergeant, before being commissioned, thus becomming the first black officer in the 'British' Army.

Can anybody confirm or correct these details?

Walter Tull was born in in Folkestone on 28th April 1888. After the death of his parents, he was brought up in an orphanage near Victoria Park in Bethnal Green with his brother Edward. He started his career as a centre forward at Clapton before playing 10 games for Tottenham. He then moved to Northampton Town, where he made over a hundred appearances. He was one of the first to enlist in the 17th Middlesex (1st Football) on its formation in December 1914. He was eventually commissioned in the 5th Battalion, and was subsequently killed in action on 25th March 1918, whilst attached to the 23rd Battalion. He has no known grave and he is listed on the Arras memorial.

Regards

AGWR