Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

frederick william robbins

calvin

Years ago I bought a Ross Rifle Mk III (C.E.F. marked) that had been sent to Chile and used aboard the Canada.

hi, what were they like, were they any good, and were they used by our marines, cheers for info, regards, john

The Mk III Ross was long, heavy, and accordingly very accurate. There seems to have been and order for the Royal Navy: http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/Ross%20Bayonet.htm

The problem with the Mk III was that the bolthead was an interrupted thread lug, rather than the solid lug of the Mk II. The last thread was too thin, and so during rapid fire it became damaged, causing the bolt to become stuck. A further problem was that it was a straight pull action, and if you pulled out the bolthead and gave it a quarter turn, it would not lock when shoved forward, meaning that when you pulled the trigger it would blow back into your face, sometimes with fatal results. I had another Ross, re-issued to the Toronto Home Guard 1939-45, where a pin had been inserted to prevent the bolt from being turned the wrong way.

hi, it sounds a bit of a beast, i used to complain about my slr when in the army, but by the sound of it , it was an angel, thanks for the info, regards, john

The original roll in ADM171/139 shows a nice bit of paper chasing, with the medal & clasp being issued to a ship no longer in the RN!

post-5692-1186149870.jpg

post-5692-1186154731.jpg

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

They eventually caught up with him ad issued his medal, clasp and 2 roses; as shown in ADM 171/195.

post-5692-1186152861.jpg

thanks for the help, the images are good, what was the roses issued for, were they for certain places, he was a prisioner for 4 years and they obviously caught up with him like you said, did it say when he left the forces, thanks, john

The roses were for sewing on the medal ribbon when that alone was worn to show that the clasp had been issued. See threads on the 1914 Star, clasp and roses.

thanks for that, i will have a look, kind regards, john