Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Local lads.. To include or not?

Steve Newman

Steve

Quite what the connection is between Moon and Hancock is, I have a horrible feeling likley to be one of those mysteries we never know

And then again...

From freeBMD:

Robert D Hancock married Edith B. Moon, Edmonton, 3a, 1720, June qtr 1915.

From ancestry 1901 census:

Edith Moon, age 8, born Kensington, living Edmonton, with parents James and Thirza and siblings Florence (6) and James (9).

I think this particular small mystery among many is solved.

Jim

I went back and looked again at the graves.

For Moon it says son of James Edwin and Thirza Moon, its on the same memorial but on the north side its says '...and also in loving memory of 2/Lt R.B Hancock Kia 21/3/18. Quite what the connection is between Moon and Hancock is, I have a horrible feeling likley to be one of those mysteries we never know. Cousins, school friends, family friend or perhaps even a straight WW1 conection, them both being MGC??? I'm sure there is a story there.

For Hart is says son of William and Mary, so that appears to fit nicely.

Is there any MGC experts around who may be able to help with where they were serving at the time?

Cheers

Steve

Steve, Try the archive officer of the MGC/OCA in charge of info at mikemearns@onetel.net.uk

I will loook at soldier Moon again. Ralph

Steve, Jims got it in one ! James Moon was born Hammersmith. My post re Elizabeth Moon incorrect. Keep delving. Ralph

Thanks again guys, just goes to show just why all this is so addictive and rewarding!!

Steve

Steve

From personal experience.

My father's brother never made it back from WWI.

All there is to mark his passing is:Panel 7 - 17 - 23 - 25 - 27 - 29 - 31. YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

His name was omitted from the Local War Memorial. His parents being illiterate, did not understand the letters sent to them, when they did, they could not afford to pay the subscription to have his name put on it.

Annie Marie Roberts was admitted to the Sunburry Sanitorium (Mental) she would outlive her first born by 43 years. She could never live with the fact that her son was gone. How could she there was no body. There was no name etched on a memorial where she and the family could grieve.

So go and do it. Not because you want to, but because you can. Don't come to that time somewhere in the distance wishing you had, but didn't. We owe so much to these people, who gave so much for us. Do it if not for them and their families then for us and the generations who will follow, and as importantly for yourself.

My appreciation

Bill Wyndham

Bill

What an articulate and moving post.

I had never considered that illiteracy may have played a part in the exclusion of names. I had always thought of the political, religious or moral grounds that after such a bitter and costly struggle may have affected peoples choices.

I hope that I am doing all my men from both world wars justice and will leave a lasting tribute to them, which will now include these three chaps and I hope bring them in a little from the cold.

Kind regards

Steve

So go and do it. Not because you want to, but because you can. Don't come to that time somewhere in the distance wishing you had, but didn't. We owe so much to these people, who gave so much for us. Do it if not for them and their families then for us and the generations who will follow, and as importantly for yourself.

Well said. I must print that out and stick it to my monitor for those days when I think, 'do I really want to have another go at figuring out which John Smith my chap is....' (yes, I've got one!)

Steve,

Even if it risks insanity, try to fit them all in - though perhaps make a note of the odd ones? The next village to my parents has a tablet in the church, and a memorial nearby. There are seven more names on the memorial than in the church. The churchwarden researched these men, and is sure that they were all Baptists... I'll let you guess the rest! Yet in my parents's village the Baptist chapel and the church have a tablet with the same names....

Adrian

(keep us updated. Remember - I have an interest!)

My GUncle enlisted in 1914, a founding member of the 9th West Yorks. He served five years, received the BW / VM and a Silver War Badge. Discharged on 1/10/1919 due to sickness ? Died two months later of Influenza. He was born in Selby, Yks., and died in Selby. Buried in Selby in a CWG.

I do not know if the town of Selby has a War Memorial. One of the churches does, but he was not of that faith. There is a Selby War Memorial Hospital. Wonder if there is a placque there?

Surely hope he, and all that served would be remembered and included on memorial rolls!

Ann

Steve,

Just for what its worth I think everyone (like yourself) who toil to let those that follow know more about those who gave so much deserve a massive thank you from us "in the present".

So, thank you (Steve) and everyone for bringing these fellows to our attention.

As Bill says, they deserve this remembrance; each and every one of them.

Well done all.

and with respect.

Susan.