Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reburial at Prowse Point (Ploegsteert) and Tyne Cot (Passendale)

Robert Missinne

Thanks for posting the links, Robert.

It unsettled me a little when I saw the photo near the end of the back of the guy who had "bought the T shirt". But then I guess we all have our own ways of paying our respects.

John

Each to his own John , at least he was there....I wasn't, so thanks very much Robert for posting the photo links...What a lot of people turned up, bless them all and may the soldiers now rest in peace.

Jacksmum

It unsettled me a little when I saw the photo near the end of the back of the guy who had "bought the T shirt". But then I guess we all have our own ways of paying our respects.

The man laid a wreath. I guess he was one of the archeologists who found Richard Lancaster...

Robert,

thank you very much for posting these very moving links.

Thank you for the freedom that I enjoy.

RIP

Scottie.

Thanks for the photos - may the Rest in Peace

a very moving expreience which i was glad to be a part of

Thanks for getting the pictures up so quickly, Robert. A moving day- and thanks to Trench and rjaydee for being there

I am surprised that when this occurs the news (papers and tv) dont tend to report it

John

I am surprised that when this occurs the news (papers and tv) dont tend to report it

John

Yeah, John. Says it all. Some might say it's because there are others dying today and being brought home in boxes, so why think about 90 years ago. I think it's a wilful neglect of history and, as the wise man said; "He who cannot remember the past is condemned to repeat it"

Chris C

Robert

Many thanks for the photos

Glyn

The man laid a wreath. I guess he was one of the archeologists who found Richard Lancaster...

He's a member of the East Lancs Medals and Militaria Society from Burnley and went over for the day to pay his respects. I had my own feelings about these when he told me about them the night before, as I'm a bit of a traditionalist at military funerals, but the respect was certainly there and I could see what his well-intentioned aims were and could respect him for them.

Dave

Dave

I certainly wasnt questioning the guy's respect. He wouldnt have been there otherwise. Just took me aback a touch.

John

May I just add my thanks for posting these links. Wonderful. It looks like the three were given the send-off they so richly deserved.

Steve

a very moving expreience which i was glad to be a part of

Har har! :rolleyes: Nice meeting up with you and your mates, Martin. Cheers for the beer.

dave :D

(PS. can you PM me your email address so I can send you the complete photo - I can't send images via the forum email)

post-357-1183723435.jpg

Some further photos of the Prowse Point burials...

1. the rehearsals the day before (where I was "trapped" for 2 hours with several "official" people coming up and shaking my hand thinking I must be something to do with it! :ph34r: )...

2. an image of the crowd...

3... same again from a different viewpoint...

4..Arrival of one of the unknowns

post-357-1183724821.jpg

post-357-1183725056.jpg

post-357-1183725104.jpg

post-357-1183725192.jpg

5. arrival of Pte.Lancaster (with Martin & Co. of the GWS providing an honour guard in the background - by the way, Martin, can you let the others know that Richard's grandson was very impressed with you all)...

post-357-1183725601.jpg

6. the actual burials...

7. The firing party...

8. buglers...

8... close up on the buglers with Messines church in the background...

10. The new headstones...

post-357-1183725739.jpg

post-357-1183725806.jpg

post-357-1183725848.jpg

post-357-1183725904.jpg

post-357-1183725979.jpg

Dave

I certainly wasnt questioning the guy's respect. He wouldnt have been there otherwise. Just took me aback a touch.

John

It did me too, John. When I first heard about the T-shirts (and also the original plan of replica 1914 FA Cup Final Burnley shirts (Burnley 1 - 0 Liverpool, if anyone's curious!) with "Lancaster 14" or something similar on the back), I thought "hang on" this is getting a bit much,how tacky can you get? it's a military funeral, not a freak show. However, being the unconfrontational person I am (along with being very tired and very p**sed!) I didn't say anything.

I'm glad that I didn't - he wore that shirt with the utmost respect and held himself with great decorum. He was just a member of the crowd (you can see him just in front of me in one of my shots), but brought along his own wreath which he was absolutely determined to lay and, towards the end, fought his way forward and into the official party and, ignoring the stares of some of the stuffier of the "suits" present, he recieved permission to lay his wreath as part of the ceremony - which he did with very obvious pride.

Being totally honest, and I don't know why it occured on this day, but I experienced several "road to Damascus" moments both at the funeral and around it. I've come home with a completely different attitude and mind-train regarding WW1 and remembrance than I had when I left. With what has changed I seem to have just had 2 days that lasted 3 weeks! :ph34r:

Dave.

Well done to the man who did his own thing. His support and commitment are clear for all to see. As I get older, I get less and less convinced that wearing a jacket and tie indicates much of anything.

Intrigued by Dave's comments. I too have found that visits to the WF often produce a surprise or some combination of occurences that make you think and challenge the attitudes you take there.

Well I enjoyed my walk along Damascus Road with you afterwards mate! :D

Ditto Chris. :D Hope to see you in "the little Lille" soon!

dave