Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3 volumes of I Was There.

Chris Foster

About 15 years ago I bought for £18 the 3 volumed bound set of The Great War I Was There. Edited by Sir John Hammerton and published during the 1930's, as a monthly magazine.

Does anyone know the current price that the bound editions are going for these days ? I dont want to sell them, I'm just curious.

Also how many other pals have copies.

Regards

Chris

Chris,

I have the 3 volume set also. Purchased it a few years ago for about £30 if memory serves me correctly, no idea what the current value is.

Andy

UKBookworld.com three volume set £60.

Other various bits and pieces but the above appears to be the only complete set.

Stuart

I have the 4 volume set in Green covers. Were less of these produced as only the 3 volume set seems to get mentioned ? "MO"

Thanks guys.

"MO", I never knew that they were also bound in Green and had an extra Volume, would these have been a reprint ? and what is the general content of Vol 4

Regards

Chris

This is pictures of my 4 volume set. I would have thought the contents would have been very much the same as the 3 volume set ? Althogh not dated I think they are from 1938 ? There is a addenda and errata page at the back and also a page where former soldiers have contacted the publisher and identified themselves in some of the photographs used. I gave £20 for them 20 years ago. A bargain even then . "MO"

post-13272-1183217424.jpgpost-13272-1183217440.jpg

Thanks for the pics "Mo"

Iv'e noticed that they were published by a differnt company, Waverley.

The Red Volumes were printed by the London Amalgamated Press Ltd.

Like yours no mention of publishing date, but the chap who orginally owned the books had written, inside all three the dates he had them bound, first one may 1939 through to the last June 1940.

Regards

Chris

I just paid about £30 for the three volume set. I've got a spare volume two of that dark blue four volume set if anyone wants it? I literally paid £3 for it on ebay and now I don't need it. If anyone wants to cover postage or pick it up (sw london) it's yours... I need to get rid of some books... :blink:

Freddy

p.s. there doesn't seem to be any difference in the contents of the volumes, the four volume set was just in smaller sections I think.

I have a set of the magazines unbound, there is much interesting information contained on the front and back covers

regards John

Just a thought. My understanding is that the series was issued as a partwork. I am not sure if binding (on completion of purchasing the series) was included in the cost or an extra. It seems possible that different binderies were used and that some produced a three volume set, some four. I supposse the real tst is if the last articles in the four vol. set is the same as the three.

My set are not weekly parts in binders , but seem to be factory bound volumes "MO"

post-6536-1183400211.jpg

Back Cover of Part 50.

Steve.

IWT2.jpg

Steve.

Hmmm Maybe just maybe ? :) "MO"

Looking at the ads, it would seem that my editions were bound by the Publisher's

Regards

Chris

Front cover

post-16754-1183467455.jpg

post-16754-1183467571.jpg

saw a set of three volumes in a charity shop in good nick for £25, not saying where going myself tomorrow

TOM

Some of the writing is taken from fuller volumes by the relevant authors, so you will find excerpts from well known and lessser known volumes as well as material not published elsewhere. It's a set of periodicals or bound volumes I would not want to be without. I tend to think of my copies as sitting alongside "Twenty Years After"

I picked up the 3 volume set at a car boot not 6 weeks ago. A bargain at £15-

Andy

saw a set of three volumes in a charity shop in good nick for £25, not saying where going myself tomorrow

TOM

If it was the Barnardos Bookshop in St Andrews you will, like me, have been disappointed to see they only had two of the three volumes...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest allthegearnoidea
Looking at the ads, it would seem that my editions were bound by the Publisher's

Regards

Chris

Front cover

I have just placed a post on here about the same set of books couldent see another set the same anywhere

now all these great site.

Paid a tenner over a year ago for a three volume set at a car boot fair and a week later got seven volumes of the Illstrated News for the same price, so I was well chuffed. Can also remember the days when stuff like this was easy to come by, but few people wanted them and so they were relatively cheap to buy from old bookshops, nowadays you rarely see them. For instance I have a full runs of the War Illustrated for both World Wars which I inherited, but its been years since I last saw a set and that was in Northallerton.

Graham.

Guest allthegearnoidea

Regards

Chris

Front cover

mine are exactly the same as yours mate not a collection that has been binded but

a book bound by the publishers the amalgamated press ltd.

The latest catalogue of Armchair Auctions is offering volume 1 with"inner hinges a little weak .... VGC expect to reach £8-12 as odd volume".

Moonraker