Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gilbert Walter Lyttelton Talbot

stiletto_33853

It has been obvious for some time past to all who have given any consideration to the subject, that the vast millions of the yellow races have been beginning to rouse themselves, after centuries of barbarism, to adopt some of the civilization, thought, and methods of Europe.

We have already seen Japan become a world power of the very first importance. There has been grwing also an increasing anxiety as to what will be the effect on the world of an awakening to energy of the Chinese Empire, especially when they become armed with the weapons of modern war and trained with modern strategy and skill. Partly civilized they may be: but their civilization must necessarily be their own, and fundamentally unlike that of ourselves.

what will be the effect on the world of an awakening to energy of the Chinese Empire

Just finding out now, aren't we? isn't it odd to see things happening now which were embryonic in Gilbert's day?

Marina

Morever, the vast majority of the Chinese are not Christians; and their paganism bears practical fruit in a lower standard of morality, and at times a quite savage cruelty. What will be the effect of the movement of this people, in numbers so vastly superior to the European nations ? Such questins have been asked with increasing emphasis for the last twenty years. The revolution in China,, and the fall of the Manchu dynasty, has added enormously to their significance. It is impossible to critcize the events which have taken place, or to say whether or not it would have been better for China to remain under a monarchy or to become a republic. Only one who had lived for years on the spot would be justified in advancin an opinion. But what is clear is that the old government of China was corrupt, tyrannical, and barbaric, and that under it no progress or application of new ideas was possible.

With a mighty effort the Chinese have thrown off the toke. They have got a new reformed government: and the possibilities of the future are unlimited. It is quite safe to say that this event is as important as anything that has happened in the course of the last century.

What should be the attitude of Europe towards reformed China, or towards the yellow races generally, is again a question which I shall not attempt to answer. But clearly the problem before us is that some arrangement ought to be arrived at by the great European civilizations in conjunction with America, by which, in the event of the yellow races becoming aggressive, Christian civilization and progress could be defended and could survive.

As I have tried to indicate, the question of the relations of England and Germany, the awakening of China, the possibilities of Imperial union or federation, both on commercial and defensive lines, all form part of one vast problem which I hope may engage the attention of the Club in its various aspects on several different occasions. The difficulties resolve themselves into the following questions:

(i) How can a European war, which would be utterly destructive of modern commerce, be averted ?

(ii) How can peoples of England and Germany be brought into a trustful and willing friendliness ?

(iii) What steps, if any, should be taken by the Western peoples to meet the new movement in China ?

(iv) Are the present bonds of the British Empire adequate to preserve it's integrity ? or is it possible to change them (a) in defensive matters; (B) in matters of sentiment; © in commercial affairs ?

Perhaps the discussion this evening may to some extent answer some of these questions. Now I will not attepmt to do more than try and state them; and, having said so much, I turn to the other half of my paper, that is to say, the events of the Vacation at home.

This concludes our journey with Gilbert, a different style of Memorial Book from others posted on the forum. Hopefully, although, a well known character it will have given you a little more insight to this man's life before and during the War.

Andy

Gilbert's grave in Sanctuary Wood Cemetery

post-1871-1185438903.jpg

We know him less than any of the others because there is comparatively little in his own words. What we have are glimpses of a brilliant and charismatic young man who thought about the important issues in life but never had the chance to match his intellect to experience - except on the battlefield.

Once upon a time there was a little boy thrilled to see Santa's lantern coming round the castle and, later, a man who inspired a brother's devoted actions on a battlefield - in between, a great getting ready to live and give to his community - then nothing.

Remembered.

Thanks again, Andy, for sharing your wonderful library with us, generously, as always.

Marina

I love reading these books Andy ..... and I love the time you take to share them with us !

and thank you Gilbert Walter Lyttelton Talbot for your courage and your sacrifice !

May you always rest in peace !

Annie

Marina has summed it up so well. Thank you, Andy. I am glad to have been able to make some small contribution for once.

Glad that everyone enjoyed this little piece of Gilbert's life.

Marina, Have to agree when compared to some of the other Memorial books.

Will place another one here in the future for you all.

Andy

The area that Gilbert and so many others lost their lives that fateful day. The fence line in the foreground was the edge of Zouave Wood.

post-1871-1185620056.jpg