Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Terraine

Guest JoyLFC

John will greatly missed for his expertise and generosity. He had much to do with keeping the WFA on an even keel and its sights in the right direction. Off parade he was witty wonderful company not merely on the Great War but on the BBC during an interesting period. Although frequently critical of of Henry Williamson, he once said that he would have have made a fascinating and highly indiscreet dinner guest. A foolish thought but perhaps he now has the chance to catch-up on that gossip. My thoughts to Kathy and his family. I shall raise a glass tonight

An extremely sad loss. John Terraine has the signal honour of having compelled many of us question our early assumptions and perceptions about the Great War; a generation of historians and interested observers owe him a debt of gratitude. It is hard for those of my generation to realise just how hard it must have been in the 1960s for Mr Terraine - and a handful of others - to proclaim what the evidence told them, to argue the unpopular if it was true, and face the scorn others if necessary.

To be a good historian is an achievement; to be a ground breaking historian is surely a blessing.

RIP

Ste

My only knowledge of Mr Terraine is through his works. I've not read all his books, but of those I have read I got the impression of a man passionate about his subject and prepared to take an unpopular stance and argue his points with conviction.

As author of many of the episodes of the BBC classic TV series, "The Great War", first broadcast in 1964, he made a major contribution to one of the definitive histories of the First World War. For that alone he deserves unending praise.

I wonder if the broadsheets will describe him in their obits as "revisionist" or "counter-revisionist"?

Apparently neither, not as such.

The TIMES says: ............. "instrumental in shifting the balance of historical opinion from facile condemnation of the British High Command to an understanding of the complex political and military dilemmas posed by the German occupation of Northern France after 1914".

Thank you John.

Both the Times and the Telgraph obituaries are unsigned, at least in the web versions. Does anyone know who wrote them?

The Daily Telegraph obituary of John Terraine includes this statement.

Terraine's 500-page study of the man, Douglas Haig: the Educated Soldier (1968), challenged the conventional portrait of Haig as fumbling, callous and intriguing, and showed the field marshal as the true victor of the war in France, a brilliant, humane and honest man, snared by the grimmest tragedy in history.

Is this a fair assessment of Terraine’s view or does it go too far? If I understand correctly, John Terrain held that Haig did rather well in the context of the time and given the situation that he found himself in. But did he judge Haig to be brilliant and humane?

My introduction to Terraine was "Mons". A great historian and outstanding writer. He will be missed.

There is another obituary here. It is rather more measured, to my mind.

I believe Bill Barnett may have written the Times obit and suspect that John Keegan may at least have had a hand in the Telegraph's. Obits on key many figures are held by national papers, dusted off from time to time and completed when the death is announced. I though that with Brian Bond's Guardian piece John had completed a nice "trio" - he gained his very own Mons Star!

• Admin

Johns funeral is to be held on Thursday 15th January, at Kensall Green Crematorium, Harrow Rd, London at 1pm. The crematorium seating capacity is 100, but Kathy tells me that there may be the facility to relay the service. There is also the possibility of a memorial service later in the year, if I hear anything, I'll let you know.

Mons is one of the best books on the Great War I've ever read.Whatever your views on the revisionist argument John Terraine wrote history as it should be written.As he believed it to be,with sound backing to his theories/research.

My condolences go out to his family-men like him are sadly missed.

Spike

Kathy has left a message on the WFA forum expressing her appreciation for the messages of support she has received since John's death.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that people might like to know that John was cremated today at Kensal Green. The music ranged from Benjamin Britten to Hoagy Carmichael. There were readings from Thucydides, T S Eliot, and Margaret Postgate Cole, a superb eulogy from Correlli Barnett, who has succeeded John as the WFA Patron, and a very touching Valediction from Kathy. The Chapel was packed, not just with fellow military historians and WFA members, but also with other longstanding friends. The party then moved to John's favourite watering hole for more than 30 years - the Uxbridge Arms, Notting Hill. It was a great gathering, with John's spirit there with us.

I'm sure the party continues as I write.

Charles M