Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Terraine

Guest JoyLFC

Thanks very much for letting us know so quickly, Joy. John had not been in the best of health for quite some time. This is a sad day, for no matter whether you agree or disagree with his views, John was as fine an historian and writer that you could find. He fought his corner almost single-handedly it seemed when he was publishing in the 1960's and 1970's, and has been a strong influence on the current crop of revisionist (or counter-revisionist) historians. He will be sadly missed. My thoughts are with Kathy, and their close family and friends at this time.

• Admin

Sad news, he will be greatly missed. My thoughts go out to Kathy, his family and many friends.

Sorry to hear the news. I have passed it on to my American friend, Bill Graham, one of his greatest fans. I met John on the wonderful 1988 WFA Victory Tour, and I am the proud owner of a copy of 'To Win A War' inscribed by John on the 70th anniversary of the 'Black Day of the German Army'.

Very sad loss indeed. John was a good friend to me, and encouraged me greatly in my early years. I also had the pleasure of one of his famous curries on more than one occasion. His insight into the Great War will be missed; my sympathies to his daughter, and Kathy.

A very sad loss, John will always hold his place as one of the great writers of modern military history. He will be sadly missed. My thoughts go out to his family and Kathy.

Martin

John's passing is a great loss to the study of the Great War, and to the Western Front Association. His writings were at the forefront in literary merit and historical perception, and amongst the ingredients that immersed me in the subject.

Our deepest sympathy to Kathy, and family.

May myself,and my family,pass on our condolences to Mr Terraine's family,at this time.

I have never read any of his works,but i have read him quoted in many books about war that i have read.

Such a shame,at this time of the year,to lose someone who has given so much.

A sad day.

Regards.

Simon.

Simon you and any others who have not read him should read Mons, it's superb. And anyone who wants to opine on Haig and his competence should read his Haig biography.

Sorry to hear this sad news. John was a truly great and brave historian who leaves us an unsurpassed body of work. 'The Smoke and The Fire' was the first book I read that led me to question what I had been taught about the Great War at school.

My deepest sympathy to Kathy and his family.

Charles F

Very sad news. I greatly admire John's work and his courage in publishing 'unpopular'views. My deepest sympathy goes to Kathy and his family.

Christina Holstein