Marnik

These three caught my attention:

2nd one:

3rd one

post-18659-1179871158.jpg

post-18659-1179871211.jpg

post-18659-1179871293.jpg

No words... only music.

The remembrance stone of H.G.Lanton,Poelcapelle New British cemetery.

Was he a musician?

Somebody knows the roots of it?

Marnik

Is it part of the Last Post? I am no musician, but I tried picking it out on the piano and it sounded a bit like the end of it...

Angela

Some moving epitaphs especially the 'My First Pride' one and some great pics- a super thread

The remembrance stone of H.G.Lanton,Poelcapelle New British cemetery.

Was he a musician?

Yes, he was. See http://www.cwgc.org/education/anth_pop/hg_lang.htm

I'm not entirely convinced about the link with 'After the Ball', although the lyrics are poignant (Many a heart is aching ... / Many the hopes that have vanished...), unless Langton's next-of-kin (or the stonemason?) had very little idea of music - and couldn't be bothered to look it up.

To my mind, the rhythm is 'Nearer My God To Thee' (also very apt) but the notes aren't. It could be a minor-key variation thereon. Perhaps one of Langton's own arrangements?

Whatever it is, it sounds very sad and mournful.

Adrian

Two which never fail to move me.

Name: TUFF, JAMES ROY

Initials: J R

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment/Service: Newfoundland Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 28/04/1917

Service No: 23

Additional information: Son of Edmund and Serena Tuff, of 5 I, Hayward Avenue, St. John's, Newfoundland.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. H. 17.

Cemetery: DUISANS BRITISH CEMETERY, ETRUN

"This Sacred Dust is Newfoundland not France and held in trust"

post-7183-1179907152.jpg

Name: BOALER, ARTHUR

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: "A" Coy. 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 29/05/1915

Service No: 2178

Additional information: Son of Francis Frederick and Sarah Jane Boaler, of 30, Church St., Harpurhey, Manchester.

Born at Moston.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 14.

Cemetery: LANCASHIRE LANDING CEMETERY

"He took the sword in honour's cause. A British Workman's Son" Dad

post-7183-1179907357.jpg

Bernard and Steve,

I think the epitaph you have in mind is of Private Alfred Goodlad, 12th Yorks and Lancs [sheffield City Battalion], killed 1st July, 1916 at Serre and buried in Railway Hollow Cemetery:

''The French are a grand nation,

Well worth fighting for''.

Thats him - thanks.

sm

Oh, Good grief!

Dabbing my eyes whilst reading this thread.

I have a class in ten minutes....Year Nine might get to think that Sir is human.

A lovely thread

Bruce

Not a beautiful epitaph, but oh so moving for its simplicity and for the pain and anguish it fairly screams at you:

THIS SON GAVE HIS LIFE TRYING TO AVENGE MY OTHER TWO

post-16303-1179920033.jpg

This is the grave of 2910 L/Cpl Jack Bailey of 13th Manchesters, killed in action on Pip Ridge at Doiran 25/4/17 aged 19, and buried at Karasouli CWGC Cemetery.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=622847

His two brothers were:

9302 L/Cpl Charles William Bailey, 2nd Manchesters, KIA 9/12/14 aged 25

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=926054

2052 Pte Alfred Laurence Bailey, 1st Manchesters, KIA 12/3/15 aged 22

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=823595

Remembered with honour.

Adrian

Not a beautiful epitaph, but oh so moving for its simplicity and for the pain and anguish it fairly screams at you:

THIS SON GAVE HIS LIFE TRYING TO AVENGE MY OTHER TWO

The impact hits as hard as any I have seen.

Bernard and Steve,

I think the epitaph you have in mind is of Private Alfred Goodlad, 12th Yorks and Lancs [sheffield City Battalion], killed 1st July, 1916 at Serre and buried in Railway Hollow Cemetery:

''The French are a grand nation,

Well worth fighting for''.

Thanks for that. A superb epitaph.

Bernard

Yes, he was. See http://www.cwgc.org/education/anth_pop/hg_lang.htm

I'm not entirely convinced about the link with 'After the Ball', although the lyrics are poignant (Many a heart is aching ... / Many the hopes that have vanished...), unless Langton's next-of-kin (or the stonemason?) had very little idea of music - and couldn't be bothered to look it up.

To my mind, the rhythm is 'Nearer My God To Thee' (also very apt) but the notes aren't. It could be a minor-key variation thereon. Perhaps one of Langton's own arrangements?

Whatever it is, it sounds very sad and mournful.

Adrian

Adrian,

Thanks for the information;

Marnik

One I recall but can't for the life of me remember where:

He carried his bat for England.

or another very sad one:

Till we meet again in the next life, my heart quietly weeps a mothers tears.

On a Canadian veteran marker (details at home):

"Called to a higher service"

Apart from being of humanitarian and social historical interest, these epitaphs are a lovely link with these men and their families.

One of my favourite ones is for Private John Francis Nugent, 59th A.I.F., from North Fitroy, Victoria, Oz.

Killed in action, aged 20, on 25/3/17, and in his original grave at Pozieres British Cemetery, it states:

''Here lies one of Australia's real men:

Our Jack''.

In the forum thread on Sunken Road Cemetery Contalmaison, http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=75624, there's another of my favourites: Private Bill Dailey, 29th Battalion Canadian Infantry, aged just 15, not 16 as given by the C.W.G.C. data. The epitaph in the photo on this thread is sadly obscured by the foliage. However, check out his details on the following link -

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?s...casualty=613628

The epitaph speaks for itself.

Well worth a visit next time you are in the vicinty.

"This Sacred Dust is Newfoundland not France and held in trust"

and Anvenging the other two.

How raw and strong are the words.

Kim

What beautiful epitaphs, they have brought tears to my eyes. When I think of the poor mother losing 3 of her boys, it makes me want to hold my boy tight & pray he never has to suffer like them.

Marnick.

A beautifull inscription indeed.

As are all those that other Pals have posted on this thread and others.

Like each one of us that has a favourite verse or even a few short words on a headstone..............It means a lot to us, but what must it have meant to those brave Lads loved one's? To try to express their feeling of love and loss, pride, of their Son, Father, Brother, Grandad whatever.

I. as we all have, walked down row upon row of headstones, stopped and read the inscription at the foot of a particular stone. Beautifull words, epitaph, call it what you may. Yet,......all say so much, in so few words. I have stood and wept at so, so many. God Bless them all.....For we shall never be able to repay them for their ultimate sacrifice.

Remembered All With Honour.

Terry W.

Terry,

Thank you for your personal, sincere contribution to this topic.

Best wishes,

Marnik

hi

for me

its these three simple words on the headstone of 20482 pte William E. Williamson, york and lancs who was killed on 16.2.1916

WE LOVED HIM

Dean

Marnick.

Heartfelt, thanks for your words. Keep on doing, what you do so sincerely, keep those posts coming. Paschedaele means so much to so many of us and many, many other battlefields.

Dean.

No other words can be more emotive or powerfull than the inscription on one of the Lads Headstones, like your loved one.

20482 Pte E. Williamson. Yorks and Lancashire Regiment.

Rest In Peace.

Remembered With Honour.

Terry W.

Terry,

I am yet to walk down the aisles of remembrance on the battlefields, but one thing I do know, from my participation of this forum, it will be some of the most moving hours in my life.

I look forward to being able to say thankyou, as I thankyou for sharing.

Kim

Hello Kim.

Never fear, you will realise your dream one day to walk in the footsteps of those brave Lads, and walk among their ranks, row upon row. Especially as I suspect you have a loved one laying in that sacred soil.

It will be very emotive for you, upsetting and emotional, let the tears flow, let it all out. Dont be embarresd because........ you will see around you grown men, veterans of subsequent campaigns doing exactly the same, my self included, I Have wept, still do whenever I visit....without exception.

Australia is a long way away as I know, my eldest daughter Amanda and her family live in Adelaide. I miss her soooooo.

Terry W.