Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sailors party?

eric e

Hiya - thought you'd like to see this sailor group - all I know about it is that the guy in the middle is my grandfather and was said to be a chef but I think that was when in civvies - Lyn

post-10810-1180042307.jpg

Certainly looks like a blancmange to me. Once a very popular pudding and the centrepiece of many a party.

Never liked blancmange personally always preferred jelly as a kid. Actually the pudding I was referring to is on the extreme left and back of table. It looks like a christmas pudding, but there are a number of basin shaped puddings in my wife's cookery books not associated with christmas. If not a christmas party then a bazaar to raise money or Wake for the victims of the Cressy would be more likely. The Ensign reversed must be hugely relevant in this picture as Charles and Centurion have pointed out.

In front of the large photo there are about a dozen cigars arranged in a circle with an open matchbox in the middle. Englands Glory perhaps.

Thanks for all the comments,

Eric.

Lyn,

Interesting photo, do you know what service your grandfather was in?

Eric,

A good photo to have, maybe never get to the bottom of it, but one day someone may say I have that photo it says on the back????

Regards Charles

Lyn,

Interesting photo, do you know what service your grandfather was in?

Eric,

A good photo to have, maybe never get to the bottom of it, but one day someone may say I have that photo it says on the back????

Regards Charles

Thanks - yes, how funny, I was just looking at the back of it: it says "Arthur Charles Porter on HMS?" - my own research has found (through relative letters) that he served on Cornwallis and Vengeance, and thus I think he was in RN but isnt this pic from Merchant?

Lyn

Charles,

Yes and I almost didn't post it, thinkig other family photo's that my grandfather took/collected while in the Shropshire Yeomanry were of more interest.

Regards,

Eric.

Charles - thanks for that link - Ive spotted someone on the list, born in Cambridge, so will do a bit more on this and report back with a new thread as you suggest.

Eric - I think its always a good idea to post any pics because you never know what someone else will know, or spot in them do you, so long as we dont fall foul of Chris and make them to big! Oh by-the-way, any pics relative to site, not last years beach party eh :D :D

Eric - I think its always a good idea to post any pics because you never know what someone else will know, or spot in them do you, so long as we dont fall foul of Chris and make them to big! Oh by-the-way, any pics relative to site, not last years beach party eh :D :D

The beach party pics are tame compared with the ones from our badminton parties. ;)

Eric.