Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flying under bridges

per ardua per mare per terram

Kebabking Thanks for a great pair of links. The shot of the plane going through Tower Bridge looks perfect, did he tip off the paper before hand? What happened to McClean in the War?

There's about 1km between the High Level Bridge and the King Edward Bridge. There's at least 50ft between the top of the Swing Bridge and the span of the High Level Bridge and they're about 150yds apart. Quite possible? Next time I'm in enemy territory (Sunderland supporter) I'll take a camera onto the Tyne Bridge and Swing Bridge then post the photos.

It's occurred to me that nobody's mentioned the latest and greatest (in terms of endearment to the spirit of the British flying services). Remember Flt Lt A Pollock in his Hunter FGA9 in 1968 - what a way to celebrate 50 years of the RAF and to stick 2 fingers up at contemporary RAF doctrine,

A few Canadian cadets of the RFC Canada while in Canada and while unsupervised and towards the "end" (no pun intended!) of their training while flying solo did fly under various Canadian bridges. Some 1970's histories (eg. From Camp Borden. to Texas and Beamsville published in 1979) record some of this.

John

Toronto

QUOTE (Phil_B @ May 28 2007, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seem to recall a Lancaster flying under Sydney Harbour bridge?

and a few mosquitos!

Mick Davis,

You mention Hylton, is that South Hylton, or Hylton Redhouse?

Mick D(avis)

Mick Davis,

You mention Hylton, is that South Hylton, or Hylton Redhouse?

Mick D(avis)

The RFC/RAF flight station known as Hylton was officially re-named Usworth in July 1918 (although the new name did not come into use until the late autumn of that year). It was the site that re-opened in 1930 as the home of 607 Sqn AAF, remained an RAF station until 1957 and became Sunderland Airport in 1964. It is now occupied by the Nissan car factory.

I'd forgot about that obvious one !

where was the runway and which way was it orientated ?

Mick D

I'd forgot about that obvious one !

where was the runway and which way was it orientated ?

Mick D

Usworth had two runways, both 800 x 50 yards - 05/23 and 01/19. They formed an approximate V shape, with the apex in the NE corner of the aerodrome. The hangars, a Lamella and a Callender-Hamilton were along the northrn boundary. There were 8 pairs of blast pens along the southern boundary and extensive dispersals, dating from the time of 62 OTU, on the eastern side of runway 01/19.

The WW1 coupled flight shed, plus other hutted buildings, had been in the NW corner of the site. Hylton/Usworth replaced the earlier, nearby landing ground that was known as West Town Moor/Hylton.