Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forcing the Dardanelles

PhilB

Hi all,

does anyone know if the Italians ever tried to force the Dardanelles again during WW1. I know little about the subject but was recently told of a family story. My great grandfather's brother in law was on the B class subs in the Med. He was a signalman. The story i was told was that he became very good at helping to pilot boats through the Dardanelles and helped the Italian's get through, who once through offered him a toast which he drank, he was sent to the cells in Gibraltar for this. I noticed on his papers there is a comment about being drunk, this was May 1916. If anything i thought it would be the Adriatic as the B class boats were with the Italian's there.

Like i said i don't know too much on the subject.

Darren.

A number of British (and one Australian) Submarines sneaked (rather than forced) the Dardanelles. B-11 in December sank the aged Turkish pre Dreadnaught battleship in the Narows but the B class were too small to be able to cope with the currents and their submerge time was too little. It was E class subs that did the damage. The Australian AE-2 reached the Sea of Marmora but was unable to get out. E-7, E-11, E-14 and E-20 also operatd in the Sea of Marmora creating totally dispupting Turkish traffic in that area. The harbour at Constantinople was penetrated and a merchantman sunk. E-7 shelled the city. These boats were able to get out. Two of the British submarine commanders received the VC.

I have not heard of an Italian sub getting through the narrows - I would be interested to hear any news.

I have not heard of an Italian sub getting through the narrows - I would be interested to hear any news.

I have never seen any report of Italian naval forces being engaged in the Dardanelles during WW1. After April 1915 when Italy joined the conflict the Allies were required to send naval units (both suface and submarine) to re-inforce the Italians in the Adriatic and its approaches. Elements of the British and French navy were supporting the Italians right through 1918.

Regards

David

Elements of the British and French navy were supporting the Italians right through 1918.
As were units of the RNAS, RFC & RAF plus the army.