Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut. Hugh Montagu Butterworth (Memorial Book)

stiletto_33853

Yes that is definitely my Great Uncle . Interesting to see the name confusion continuing. His surname was Levingston but an "e" is added on the nominal roll and the CWGC have him as "Levington". I need to send in his death certificate to them - assuming it is correct!

Many Thanks.

Time to catch up a little again.

9th War Service record:-

4 - 6th August:

Resting. Two companies were made up, each 130 strong, with four parties of eigfht bombers and three machine-gun detachments of an N.C.O. and six men each. These proceeded at 6.30 p.m. by general service wagons to Ypres and marched to trenches.

8th August:

Camp : Training.

9th - 10th August:

Message received from Brigade at mid-day saying Captain Willoughby had been killed and Lieutenant Dugdale wounded, and heavy casualties suffered and that the party would be relieved that night. They returned at 5.30 a.m. 10th inst.

11th - 19th August:

Working parties. On 18th the new commander of the VIth Corps and Brigadier-General Dudgens inspected the Battalion.

20th August:

Took over trenches in the left sector.

21st - 24th August:

On 22nd Lieutenant M.S. Heycock wounded. On 24th relieved by 9th Battalion K.R.R.C.

25th August:

Battalion Headquarters "A" and "B" in Ramparts north of Menin Road, "C" and "D" Companies under Captain D. Carmichael in dug-outs.

26th - 28th August:

Draft of eighty-nine joined.

29th August:

Working parties, etc. On 28th relieved by 10th Battalion Durham L.I.

30th - 31st August:

Musketry etc.

1st - 6th September:

On 2nd a draft of 119 N.C.O.'s and Riflemen arrived. On 5th a draft of four N.C.O.'s arrived. On 4th the Battalion was inspected by IInd Army Commander.

7th September:

Battalion relieved 10th Battalion Durham L.I. left sector.

8th - 10th September:

Fairly quiet.

11th September:

Battalion relieved and proceeded to huts in Vlamertinghe.

12th - 14th September:

In huts; found carrying parties each night.

15th September:

Marched to tents at L.3

16th - 22nd September:

In camp. Practised attack formation. On 22nd the Battalion was inspected by Lord Kitchener.

23rd September:

Battalion went into trenches.

September 15th, 1915.

As life is about to be somewhat strenuous, I am writing this a week or so before I shall post it, and perhaps I'll add a line before going up. I hear there is going to be a great racket here and I need hardly say that H.M.B. looks like being up to the neck in it. This letter won't be posted till after it's begun, so there is not much harm in giving full facts. Well, as you know, the Belgians hold a little bit of line to the north, where they are well protected by floods. Then come the French down to two or three miles north-east of Ypres, and then we come. There is a division between the French and the 14th _____. The we carry on of course for a long way to the main French line. Well, this is going to be a combined attack. The French, I fancy, are actually going to try and get through. Anyway they hope to get a long way and have lots of men and shells to do it with. The division between us and the French is not moving. Then we are stepping forward from our left to Hill 60, and probably further south, I don't know. Operations start in two or three days from now with a week's artillery bombardment. The French have already bombarded for over a fortnight ! We, who are detailed for the charge - and our battalion is for it - go up to thirty-six hours before the end of that and get into assembly trenches and so on, about two hours before charging time.

The bombardment is concentrated on their first line. At the exact time the country immediately in front of me is blown up, (I believe Hill 60 is going clean up to) the 9th Rifle Brigade step nimbly over the parapet, struggle over the delightful country between ours and the Huns lines and then take the giddy trench at the point of the bayonet. This performance is carried out amidst shrapnel and high explosive, likewise machine gun fire from everything. Can you see your old pal Butterworth doing this ? Of course what I ought to do is to wave a sword in the air, call upon D company, to remember the land of their birth, etc., and foremost fighting fall. What I shall probably do is to mutter a few oaths and put my head down and get over with the greatest precipitation. It will be a great stunt, what our senior captain (aged twenty-three) calls "a proper joy-morning." We expect to lose about half the battalion and (unless we get a new consignment) practically all the officers. The consolation is we go into it together (and probably out) and it is a rea "pucka" show.

No one particularly objects to taking the neck shot, but one does hate being sniped in a trench when you are having lunch or something silly like that.

I suppose it will be the biggest thing done this summer. I believe we have got every possible thing, gas, liquid fire, the whole bag of tricks, and I expect worse than anything the Germans ever used, (three cheers for Pecksniff), but I don't know if we shall want them. I hope I slip through; simply to have done it will last me for life. I think the men will come alright, provided a certain number of officers get through the first rush. Isn't it incredible that these fellows will follow an officer anywhere and won't go with an N.C.O. ? I had a heart-to-heart chat with my sergeant-major on the point last evening. I said to him "Here I am, I could not possibly drill a company and am pretty vague on arm drill; half of the men have only seen me for a fortnight, why should they come along with me anywhere and refuse to follow some of these sergeants with three or four medals ?" He could not give a reason, nor could I. But it gives me a considerable sense of responsibilty, and one feels a little proud too. I am not the slightest brave, but I don't for one moment doubt my ability to do the needful in this case. So Cheer Ho ! I put the betting at about three to one against, but it is all luck, and I've got a sort of knack of scrambling through things. Anyway it is of no importance - as Mr. Toots said; I'll add a few words of valedictory before I gird my kit.

I don't know whether his cheerful acceptance of what will happen to his battalion and most likely himself makes me more angry than sad. "Any way it is of no importance." Sanguine doesn't cover it.

His comment about men not following NCO's in the same way as officers is most interesting and contrasts with the German experience. I suppose it's all down to the British class system. No doubt his NCO's did eventually lead well but only once the soldiery had seen all the gentlemen fall. A peculiar deference. Extraordinary.

Later. September 20th I think.

I have been so very busy that I have started odd letters to people and never finished them. I am writing a sort of valedictory to you and may leave it behind, or may post the thing myself. Things are moving. We find we are part of a real proper show which we hope is going to mess up the Bosche a whole lot. Also we have been lent five officers and my lad is quite a tiger and I think will step in cheerily. However I have had to take the really bad job myself, partly out of shame, (one can't with decency give it to anyone else) and partly to assist the company's morale, as I think they will come after me if they see one jumping off into the dust and din.

I should not be surprised if there was a naval battle at the same time, but we know nothing really. We were inspected by X + Y Generals, Brigadiers and Corps Commanders this morning, a wonderful collection of red and gold. I can hear the guns hard at it at this moment. I hope they are worrying the Huns somewhat, of course we depend absolutely on the artillery. If they don't knock out the wire and so on it's goodbye to us. However they are pretty good, although ours can't be as good as a regular division's. The wind has gone to the east, I don't think we shall attack until we get a gas wind, as I am certain we shall use it. Our hypocrites at Home will probably deny it. But when you have had gas flicked at you once, as I have, you lose most scruples about it.

Belgium

September, 1915.

(I am posting this myself just before leaving. Perhaps I shan't be killed !!)

I am leaving this in the hands of the transport officer, and if I get knocked out, he will send it on to you. We are going into a big thing. It will be my pleasant duty to leap lightly over the parapet and lead D company over the delectable confusion of old trenches, crump holes, barbed wire, that lies between us and the Bosche, and take a portion of his front line. Quo facto I shall then proceed to bomb down various communication trenches and take his second line. In the very unlikely event of my being alive by then I shall dig in like the blazes and if God is good, stop the Bosche counter-attack, which will come over in an hour or two. If we stop that I shall then in broad daylight have to get out wire in front under machine gun fire and probably stop at least one more counter-attack and a bomb attack from the flank. If all that happens cuccessfully, and I'm still alive, I shall hang on till relief. Well, when one is faced with a programme like that, one touches up one's will, thanks heaven one has led a fairly amusing like, thanks God one is not married, and trusts in Providence. Unless we get more officers before the show, I am practically bound to be outed as I shall have to lead all these things myself. Anyway if I do got out I shall do so amidst such a scene of blood and iron as even this war has rarely witnessed. We are going to bombard for a week, explode a mine and then charge. One does see life doesn't one ? Of course there is always a chance of only being wounded and the off-chance of pulling through. Of course one has been facing death pretty intimately for months now, but with this ahead, one must realize that, in the vernacular of New Zealand, one's numbers are probably up. We are not a sentimental crowd at the Collegite School, Wanganui, but I think in a letter of this sort, one can say how frightfully attached one is to the old brigade. Also I am very, very much attached to the School, and to Selwyn in particular. There are two thousand things I should like to say about what I feel, but they can't be put down, I find.

Live long and prosper, all of you. Curiously enough, I don't doubt my power to stick it out, and I think my men will follow me.

I really like this man a lot and look forward to paying my respects to him at the Menin Gate in July. What a tragedy that so many of his ilk - of all nationalities - surrendered their lives on the Western Front and elsewhere - judging their sacrifices of not too much importance. What a breed of men they were.

I don't know whether his cheerful acceptance of what will happen to his battalion and most likely himself makes me more angry than sad. "Any way it is of no importance." Sanguine doesn't cover it.

I've come across this attitude several times in the letters and memoirs of both men and officers. I suppose being caught up in such a huge enterprise might well scale your importance to yourself down.

You're right - they were a special breed.

Marina

9th Rifle Brigade

24-9-15:

In Railway Wood, left sector. Battalion found the wood much damaged by shells, and many of the trenches were in such a bad condition that it was hard to allot them for bombardment during the day. The enemy bombarded from 3.50 to 4.30. Orders came round to Companies at 7.30 p.m. for an attack by the 14th Division on 25th, the objective being Bellwarde Farm position, the task allotted to the Battalion being to seize and hold the enemy trenches, A.42, A.72, A.44, A.24 and A.84. The Oxford and Bucks L.I. and K.S.L.I. to attack on our right and the 9th Battalion K.R.R.C. to be in support in Railway Wood The 9th Battalion K.R.R.C. moved into the wood in the evening, and Companies of the Battalion took up their position for the attack. We finished cutting wire during the night. Watches were checked at 11.50 p.m.

Area of attack

post-1871-1180357891.jpg

25th September, 1915

Our artillery started bombardment at 3.50 a.m. and concentrated on first and second line trenches until 4.20 a.m., when they lifted to form a dense barrage.

At 4.5 a.m. "A" Company and No. 2 platoon of "B" Company moved out of their trenches and patrol trenches and dug in in six lines facing the German trenches, A.24 and A.42 the two remaining platoons of "B" Company moving up ready to follow on, as the seventh and eighth lines behind. No.1 platoon of "C" Company moved out and lay facing the German trenches, A.24 and A.04. Two other platoons moved into support. The last platoon remained in reserve ready to advance.

The advance started at 4.20 a.m. "A" and "B" Company captured German trenches, A.64, A.72, A.42 and A.24, "D" Company moved up ready to support.

No.1 platoon of "D" Company at once started a communication trench to crater. Taking the attack Company by Company.

"C" Company had few casualties while lying out and going across the open with the exception of one platoon which suffered from high explosive shrapnel. Owing to the fact that a part of the trench was covered by debris, most of the Company passed over it. The men in these trenches held up German counter-bombing attacks.

As many casualties occured in holding back these German attacks, the remainder of "C" Company went to reinforce the communication trenches.

Two platoons of the 9th Battalion K.R.R.C. came up. Meanwhile "B" Company, who were being bombed from the communication trench out of "24" retired. By this time they had run out of bombs. The Germans having reached "24" started bombing, so an attempt was made to charge across the open to retake point "24" but found impossible owing to machine gun fire. It was decided to hold the crater and to passm men back until bombs came up. The lip of the crater was soon found to be quite untenable as it was swept by machine gun fire from the north, besides being heavily shelled by high explosive from the south west; also we suffered heaviolt from trench-mortars.

At 8.5. a.m. we were able, however, to stop the Germans from entering the crater by taking up a position along the sunken road outside. At this time the situation seemed critical, as it was likely the Germans would try and push their counter-attack to our original line of trenches.

"A" Company of the 9th Battalion K.R.R.C. then came up to the crater and extended along the edge of a dip in the ground running towards the eastern end of the trench; also the Motor Machine gun battery engaged the enemy machine guns and succeeded in silencing them. The Germans now heavily bombarded the crater and ground around and obliged those holding it to retire. Meanwhile the remnants of "C" Company were still holding the line and remained doing so until 4 p.m., when they retired.

"A" Company got into its position without loss, but had a few casualties from shell-fire while lying out. At 4.20 a.m. the Company advanced and took a trench, where only a few Germans were found. In spite of all attempts to get connection with the 5th Battalion Oxford & Bucks on our right we were unable to do so. The Company was then heavily attacked by enemy bombers on the right and, running out of bombs, they were obliged to retire, but checked the German's further advance by rifle fire. It was while "A" Company was in communication trench 4 that "B" Company were bombed out of A.24 and A.42 from communication trench 5.

4a.m. The Companies numbers being greatly reduced they retired back to "24" and then found that "B" Company had been driven out, and that the Germans were in the trenches A.04 and A.42.

As the situation was desperate they determined to rush the Germans and succeeded in doing so, but lost heavily. They were joined here by the remainder of "C" Company, who rushed across the open. The Germans who were now strongly reinforced were still unable to clear them out.

"A" Company stayed with "C" Company and came back with them.

"B" Company suffered severly both in getting out and while lying in, and had most of their bombers and machine gunners put out of action. They, however, succeeded in capturing a trench, but as the attack on their right had failed and they had lost all their bombers they were unable to hold the captured trenches and had to return.

"D" Company who were waiting to reinforce were called upon to advance at 4.45 to "A" and "B" Companies. They lost many men in doing so and the remainder were absorbed into the two Companies.

It can be seen from this account that the Battalion succeeded in its objective, i.e. take the German trenches, but failed to hold them. This was due to the fact that:-

1. All the officers became casualties early in the fight.

2. We suffered very heavy losses from shell-fire.

3. The Germans were in very great force and had an endless supply of bombs.

4. The attack on our right had failed.

5. The extreme difficulty in getting messages through quickly and finding out what was happening in other parts of the line.

Railway Wood was heavily shelled throughout the day. After collecting dead and wounded the Battalion, having bben relieved by the 10th Battalion Durham L.I., returned to Rest area L.3c.

They left the trenches with 4 Officers and 140 Other ranks.

This ends our trip with Hugh, the only thing missing is the Divisional report should anyone want to read it. I hope that you have all enjoyed sharing Hugh's life and experiences at the front.

Andy

post-1871-1180363005.jpg

I must confess that I find these threads that lead to the known and inevitable demise of a soldier quite depressing. In this case the soldier was pretty certain of the end result and many thousands took the same cheerful fatalistic path. He viewed his death as of no great importance but multiplied by the thousand, what a price the world paid in the premature loss of these leaders of men.

We will remember them.

Oh no ! .......... I just don't like the endings Andy ! ..... but I'm so glad I got to know this young soldier !

In the begining ..... I really wasn't enamoured by him .... but what a good and intelligent man he turned out to be ......... though I look at his picture and I see he wasn't much more than a boy !!

His death WAS important and so were the deaths of all those thousands of others !

There will be no more of that boy with the ironic grin and the crazy sense of humor. No more of that young man with wisdom beyond his years.

No more warm smile and no more healthy appetite. No more rare combination of determination and delicateness, no more shrewd common sense and wise-heartedness.

No more the infinite gentleness of Hugh and no more silence in which he could calm the stormy atmosphere.

No more strong hugs, and no more seeing him walking with his friends gesticulating as he spoke

No more. No

The courage of life is often a less dramatic spectacle than the courage of the final moment; but it is no less a magnificent mixture of triumph and tragedy

A man does what he must-in spite of personal consequences; in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures - and that is the basis of all human morality.

- John Fitzgerald Kennedy, The Meaning of Courage

Rest in Peace all our young men ........ we owe you so much !

Annie

That was a really good read, Andy. Even though we knew the end, it took me by surprise - it seemed to come so suddenly. Are there no accounts of how he met his end? Or any more memoirs of him?

I just don't want the thread to end!

Marina

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread.

How humbling to be allowed to share a part of what those men endured.

Respect and honour to all who gave their lives for us.

Susan.

Ian,

I must admit, the end result being known sometimes can be a bit depressing, but, these books can give a wonderful insight into day to day life in the trenches and things one might not think off, such as Robert Vernede's description of foliage after a gas attack, etc., etc.

I also find them a valuable resource into looking at some of the more mundane and human aspects of the battalions life and characters rather than the sometimes dry, inhuman and humourless war diary entries. Andrew Buxton's and Robert Vernede's books were wonderful as they served in the same battalion and by cross referencing them I have found out a lot more about the Battalion, some of the characters and the life of the battalion which has been a real bonus.

As you say, multiplied by the thousand, what a price the world paid in the premature loss of leaders of men. Never a truer word spoken, and We Will Remember them.

Gilbert Walter Lyttelton Talbot's Memorial Book in places highlights just what a loss to the world these men were.

Annie, His death was important and the deaths of the countless thousands of others.

Marina, I am afraid that I have not come across any other accounts, as yet, of exactly how he met his death, but I keep digging in the hope of finding exact details of Hugh's and so many others tragic ends as they more than deserve to be known.

Susan, I am glad that you have enjoyed your voyage into Hugh's world and way of looking at his future.

Andy

'Gilbert Walter Lyttelton Talbot's Memorial Book in places highlights just what a loss to the world these men were.'

is this a joy to come?

Marina, ever hopeful

Marina,

Gilbert's memorial book is one of many others that I have available should forum pals wish to read them. His is more a celebration of his life and his achievements, but, also covers his letters at the front.

Andy