Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut. Hugh Montagu Butterworth (Memorial Book)

stiletto_33853

Friday 4 a.m.

Battle still proceeding. I'm taking short rest, have had one hour in last 36. But can't manage to sleep much. It's fair to middling hell.

Friday 4 a.m.

Battle still proceeding. I'm taking short rest, have had one hour in last 36. But can't manage to sleep much. It's fair to middling hell.

I'd have said it was a bit worse than middling!

Marina

Might be an idea here to catch up with the 9th Battalion as the last entry, which helps with the actions of this battalion was on 31/5/15. The area they got to know well was the Hooge sector.

1 - 3rd June: Employed in entrenching; the Battalion had to march eleven and a half miles there and back daily. On the 3rd they came under shell fire for the first time at this camp (Zevecoten).

5th June: Orderes received that Battalion should be attached for instruction to the 137th Infantry Brigade from 6th June.

Half the machine gun section reported this night to Headquarters 1/5th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment. "B" Company was attached 1/5th Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment.

7 - 10th June: Trenches "A" and "B" Companies were relieved by "C" and "D" Companies on 9th; during this time six men were wounded.

11th June: All Battalion in billets at Bailleul.

12th June: Battalion marched to M.17.6.

13th June: Camp

14th June: March to H.14.

15th June: To trenches between two railway embankments.

16th June: Near Ypres ramparts. Bombardment by British guns begun at 2.45 a.m. Remained in trenches till 2.40 p.m., then went to dug-outs on railway bank, found them occupied by 7th K.R.R.C. (41st Brigade)

Great confusion with 41st Brigade. Battalion ordered to follow 5th Oxs & Bucks L.I. into assembly trenches, but when 1000 yards past Ypres Sally-Port, received message that assembly trenches were crowded. Battalion remained a long time in the open along the railway line, shelled by H.E. from 3.15 p.m. to 6.45 p.m. No orders received and communication with Brigade H.Q. cut at 7 p.m. One company 5th Oxs & Bucks seperated itself from its Battalion and placed itself under Battalion Orders.

At 7.15 p.m. wounded and others coming back, and enemy shelled nearer and nearer. In default of order took up position in some fields south of railway embankment and dug in.

At 2.15 p.m. orders received to retire to original trenches, found them still occupied by 7th K.R.R.C. so prepared fresh ones in rear of them. Orders received to return to huts.

17 - 18th June: Vlamertinghe. Casualties: two killed seventeen wounded.

19th June: Huts. Relieved the 1st Gordon Highlanders. "A" and "B" Companies in fire-trench; "C" and "D" Companies in support.

20 - 21st June: Spent on improving trenches which were very bad, and had been badly kept.

22nd June: "C" Company and bombers attached to 5th Oxs & Bucks L.I. for attack, which failed; great confusion; reason not known. Enemy trenches were full of men and many concealed machine-guns/

The Battalion bombers led the assaulting column. Casualties: Lieutenant H.C Benson, 2nd Lieutenant B.Rissik killed. Other ranks, ten killed, twenty-three wounded, five missing.

23rd June: Lieutenant N.W. Hughes accidentally wounded.

24th June: In trenches. Orders received that 43rd Infantry Brigade would relieve Brigade on night 25 - 26th, and that representatives of 43rd Brigade would visit trenches, none came.

25th June: Guides sent to meet representatives of 43rd Brigade, none came.

26th June: Battalion relieved by units of 43rd Brigade; great confusion, as no orders were given to the relieving units. Marched to Poperinghe.

27 - 30th June: Billets, fatigue parties, etc.

1 - 7th July: Poperinghe. Employed on working parties, etc. On 2nd a draft of eighty one Riflemen joined.

8th July: Took over trenches from 41st Brigade.

9 - 11th July: Trenches. Fairly heavy shelling.

12th July: Relieved by 9th K.R.R.C.

13 - 17th July: General Headquarters line dig-outs. Working parties, etc.

18th July: Relieved by 43rd Brigade and marched to bivouacs.

19 - 25th July. Brigade in Corps reserve. Employed in working parties. Draft of one officer and thirty six other ranks arrived.

26th July: Relieved 5th K.O.Y.L.I. in trenches. Draft of thirteen men arrived.

27 - 29th July: In trenches. Fairly quiet.

Saturday (I think) 2.50

We're in the middle of the most terrific battle, simply awful, attack, counter attack, liquid fire, trenches taken and retaken. If ever I live to finish this letter I shall be surprised and lucky. However I thought you'd like Captain Coe's latest and probably last.

Cheer Ho ! Best love to all

Things are now comparitively quiet and I may be able to give a coherent account of what has occured. The business started Friday morning at 3.20 (always supposing to-day is Saturday) Suddenly we saw flames about 500 or 600 yards to our right in what is known as 'the crater,' a position we captured by mining a week or so ago. I didn't think of it's being liquid fire at first. But it was. In a second the whole world became a hell. I cannot possibly describe the noise, smoke, smell and all the rest of it. This went on for some time, one and a half hours I daresay. I had kept my men from firing as our trench wasn't being attacked. Suddenly I got the report that a party of Germans was coming over ? I shall never know whether there were Germans there - a bombing party say - or not. The smoke and so no was terrific. Any way I opened 'rapid' on what we took to be Germans. Nobody reached us, so we either drove them off or they weren't there. The intensive bombardment lasted three and a half hours off and on till mid-day. Result - Germans captured part of a trench. At two we started the counter attack, three quarters of an hour artillery preparation, then the 41st Brigade - part of ours but not our battalion - went forward. We supported with fire. That lasted all told for four hours. The 41st got in and bombed back most of the trench. Our brigade captured another new bit. Our brigade lost heavily, we lost six officers and I believe two hundred men (a minimum), another battalion lost twelve officers. Night came eventually, all of us fairly done in. My men were so done that I allowed every third man to sleep. If ever I sat down myself, I went straight off. I went off standing two or three times. Suddenly at 2.30 a.m. the Germans came again, liquid fire all over the place and the deuce of a counter attack. It was finally stopped by our 'rapid' gun fire and things were quiet by about 6 or 7 a.m.

Since, the Bosches have been very quiet. Our artillery has been firing all day and they have replied very little. We all expect another attack to-night or to-morrow morning, probably the latter.

I believe forty thousand troops have been massed behind us, in case we let them through. God grant that we don't. I will try and describe what it all feels and looks like later, but now I'll sleep for an hour. I got four hours this morning and am feeling fit. They are relieving us as soon as they can, but I don't think they'll do it to-night. Somehow they got some rations up to us last night, I know not how.

Oh Andy ! .......... we just don't realise what they went through - do we ??

No wonder my Granddad drank when he finally got home !

No sleep - no food - no water ........ awful awful ..... my heart goes out to them ALL !

Annie

Hi Marina,

You got it, the first time they were used against British troops, although I believe they were used once before against French troops some of the more knowledgeable forum pals will know more about the use against the French.

Andy

Wednesday.

We're out temporarily but shall probably be back to-morrow night. We had an awful time ! I haven't read through the previous pages of this letter so I don't know what I said, anyway the whole show lasted about ninety-six hours and is probably by no means over yet. We may quite easily be shoved into the attack almost at once. When the show is over the whole division will undoubtedly go away to refit and recover.

Now we are out of the trenches and can sort out impressions. I think that there is very little doubt that the liquid fire attack was also attempted on us, but the fire turned to smoke before it reached us. I was otherwise engaged when the blaze broke out, as I had to rush up my trench to persuade the men that that wasn't the exact moment to watch a fire on one's flank. So I've had a curious experience. Everyone in neighbouring trenches wants to know about the liquid fire in my trench and I can't say if I had it or not. Secondly I can't say for certain whether I was attacked by Bosche or not !! No one who hasn't been here could understand, but the noise, dust and general tumult is such that anything might be happening. I wish you could have seen my men during that three or five minutes (or hours, I don't know how long it was) when we were actually "repelling the attack" (if there was one). They all were right over the parapet firing like blazes, my sergeant bucking about persuading them to fire low, my humble self standing half on the parapet and half on the parados with a revolver in one hand and rifle near the other and a cigarette going well, using the most unquotable language. Do you know that really was a good moment, I can't pretend to like bombardments, nor war generally, but that really was a moment when one "touched top" (as opposed to "touching bottom") but you'll feel that it was an interesting moment in one's life.

I felt absolutely as cool as ice during that part, one was so worked up that one felt that one could stick anything out. However, when one has spent four seleepless days and nights with all sorts of alarms and bombardments and attacks and counter attacks going on - that was fair hell. At the end of it, our relief went hopelessly wrong, and we walked out in broad daylight. When we got half way to Ypres, our big guns opened up bombarding. I was too tired to worry much, but I just mentally noted that the whole company must infallibly be wiped out. But our star was there again and we got out and went home in a Willesden bus. Thisletter fails hopelessly. I can't express what we felt or give you a real idea what Hell looks like. We lost two hundred and fifty men. I left Aldershot fifth officer in the company. I am now second in command of it. I am I think fairly certain of my second star but we haven't time to think about promotion just now. I'll post this and perhaps I'll catch a mail. If we attack to-morrow night, I've got just a one in three chance, I suppose. But there's always the chance of being wounded and getting home. Any way if it isn't to-morrow, it'll be another day.

Blessings and love to all.

The War Service Record for this period is as follows:-

30/7/15:- At 3.15 a.m. the Commanding Officer saw an enormous column of fire apparently thrown up from the direction of the enemy. It was thought at first to be a mine and was immediately followed by a bombardment of all trenches in the right sector. (Afterwards it transpired that the column of fire was liquid fire directed against the area of the crater and against the 8th Battalion, Rifle Brigade.)

S.O.S. telephoned to supporting artillery at 3.17 a.m. and our guns replied at once. Bombardment lasted two hours and was very heavy.

First news arrived 5.31 a.m. that the 8th Battalion Rifle Brigade had lost trenches either side of the crater, suffering large losses, and were now holding the north edge of Zouave Wood. We were ordered to get in touch with them. Lieutenant J.E.B. Gray, 9th Battalion R.B., found touch with 8th Battalion R.B. on the north-east corner of the wood.

Orders were received for counter attack.

Heavy bombardment from 2 p.m. - 2.45 p.m.. 9th Battalion K.R.R.C. proceeded to Culvert at 11.12 to carry trenches. They were to be supported in every way possible, and as telephone communication was very precarious from Battalion Headquarters to fire-trench, Major Davis, 2nd in Command, was sent to co-ordinate at Culvert. The attack by 9th Battalion K.R.R.C. was successful but casualties were heavy. Major Davis took command of the 9th Battalion K.R.R.C. temporarily and reported his action to Battalion Headquarters. At 5.45 p.m. message was received that 9th Battalion K.R.R.C. held trenches. No.2 platoon 9th Battalion Rifle Brigade was sent to Culvert to re-inforce them.

A support trench was prepared as a fire-trench. 9th Battalion K.R.R.C. were supplied with bombs from our meagre store. The Battalion also supplied a bombing post. At about 6 p.m. two sections of R.E. arrived to help 9th Battalion K.R.R.C., and one section to help 9th Battalion R.B. British guns kept up bombardment all night; no reply whatever from enemy.

31/7/15:- About 3 a.m. the enemy made an attack on the 9th Battalion K.R.R.C. and 9th Battalion R.B., but were stopped by our guns.

About noon bombing parties from the 5th Battalion K.S.L.I. arrived, and later on other parties.

One and a half companies of the 5th K.S.L.I. arrived at Battalion Headquarters, and were distributed along the line Birr Cross Roads, north west corner of Zuoave Wood. This line was now held by 5th Battalion K.S.L.I., 9th Battalion R.B., 10th Battalion Durham L.I. and 5th Battalion Somerset L.I., but the line was very weak, as the trenches were bad and gave very little protection.

1 - 2/8/15: Right sector of trenches. The shelling during this tour was incessant and by the 2nd the men were very exhausted from want of sleep having been in the trenches under continual shell-fire for eight days.

3/8/15: Battalion relieved and conveyed in motor omnibuses to 41st Brigade rest area where bivouacs were erected.

Hi Marina,

Yes, I think Robert would have liked that surreal touch. It certainly seems like resignation is creeping in.

Andy

Mont des Cants,

August 8th, 1915.

I am at present in a hospital place for a short time. I got poisoned in some way or other, either the water or tinned food or something I expect. Anyway, when we got out of the trenches I was pretty rotten, sick and so on, and was sent to the field ambulance and from there up here for a few days. I have quite got over the poisoning now and merely want a bit of strengthening. This is a Trappist Monastry standing right up on a hill with a wonderful view of the British line. One can see Dunkirk and the sea, and away south to Lille. We had a grim time in the trenches this last time. Our division got the liquid fire attack, the first of its sort made on the British. We had been in four days when it begun and were to have gone into support that night, but as it was, we had to hang on for another four days. The bombardments were simply terrific, and there was a series of counter-attacks. I can't actually say whether the fire was spurted at my trench or not: certainly if it was, it turned into smoke before it reached us. But the hubbub and rapid firing and artillery and smoke abd dust and so on was so terrific that one found it pretty difficult to know what was going on. As a spectacle a German attack must be a wonderful sight - to the angels out of range. They used all sorts of coloured lights (this was just before day break) and it was a wonderful scene. However I had not much spare time to admire the view. Our division was terribly cut up. Our battalion was luckier than most, as although we lost over two hundred men and six officers, all the officers and most of the men got off with wounds. It is almost impossible to describe the four days as they were pretty well confused and one was so much on the go all the time. I feelo a bit of a brute, being up here in comfort. The battalion may be still out of the trenches or they may have pushed them back. We can get no news at all up here. I should think when thios present racket is over, they would send the division back and get them straight again.

August 17th, 1915.

Life has been very strenuous. We have finished the Hooge fighting anyhow pro tem. It was a grim and grisly business and we were pretty well all through it. We lost heavily, but slew an immense quantity of Huns. I think a lot of loives were needlessly flung away, but I suppose we ought not to criticise. Incidentally I spent five days in hospital, my inside went astray, water or tinned food or something. Anyhow I am fit and well again now. I forget if I've told you I have now got a company and hope to be gazetted as captain shortly - which will be a double step. Authorities seem to think I have done well, though without false modesty I don't think I have done anything out of the ordinary. The test in the trenches is, will a man's nerves stand the strain ? For some reason mine seem to, although the strain is pretty considerable, especially in the firing trench, where I had eight consecutive days during the worst of it. We lost our comapny commander and the remaing officer, and about half the trench was blown in. The sergeant was killed, second sergeant wounded, and most of the platoon lost. Things were fairly moderate. Now I believe they are going to send us to a quiter place, and I hope we will get some more officers. We have got about ten out of thirty we started with, but of our officer casualties only three have been killed.

My company commanding officer is a great loss. He was a fine man and a very efficient soldier. I have got a difficult place to fill. However I feel much more capable of doing it than I did a week ago. It is a most quaint thing but the four company commanders now were all in D company, when we came over. We are all great pals, and I am fully six years older than any of the others. Two of them are absolutely efficient and splendid, the other is not half so clever, but he is absolutely plucky and very sound in the trenches, so that is our quartette. Add a major aged thirty-two, and a few children as subalterns, and you have the 9th Battalion Rifle Brigade. - I have just been taking my first Orderly Room. There were fourteen prisoners, mostly small offences, such as not getting up in time. Unfortunately our company sergeant-major was knocked out last time, so I have got a new man I have never seen before. He talks too much at present but I'll get him out of that I hope. No doubt you have read all about Hooge in the Daily Mail and so I won't go into harrowing details. I don't think I added to the slaughter personally, though I did a little mild sniping pour encourager les autres. We only talk of two things (1) the war, (2) How we shall spend our leave. The popular idea at present is grouse shooting (except in my case !) plus a sufficiency of champagne.

The trenches,

August 23rd, 1915.

I fancy I haven't written for a long time, but I've been very busy. While we were in camp I had a bit of work to do running the company, and we were trying to get it into shape after our hammering of the past weeks. We have now been up here for three days, in a slightly different bit of the line, but only half a mile or so from the old delectable spot. We have only ten officers up here, in fact, nine, as one was wounded yesterday and so we are very short handed, and so desperately overworked. For instance, an officer has to be in the fire trench all day and all officers must be in at night. Night now is officially from seven-thirty p.m. to four-thirty a.m., nine hours and this leaves fifteen of which we must be in seven and a half, as I have only one subaltern. So one is actually in the trench sixteen and a half hours out of the twenty-foru. Add to that - I have an immense amount of work, eight different reports have to go in at various times throughout the day, one has to arrange returns and working parties and so on. Altogether the life of the Company commander in the trenches is not altogether a happy one. I am very close quarters here, seventy-five yards or less at one place and I hold a pretty important post. It all means a lot of resposibility. However there it is ! We shall be relieved to-morrow if all goes well, but "one never knows."

To-day has been so desperately quiet that we are all a bit suspicious. Incidentally the wind which has been behind us for weeks, has shown signs of veering round; and so we have to be very much on the "qui vive" for gas. We all hope they will take the whole division right away soon, as we are very much under-officered and naturally still feel the effects of weeks of almost continual bombardments. Some divisions have all the luck, they go to a soft spot and stay there for months, whereas others strike a rough spot like this, and also stay on for months. However all this is rather a growl, caused I think, because I am tired and have been trying to sleep and can't. We heard to-day of a big German naval loss in the Baltic, in an attempt to land at Riga. Perhaps it's true, but rumours have a way of being incorrect. Here we have quite a pastoral view. In our last trenches we saw nothing but desolation and ruin, but here, looking at the rear, it is rather a pretty view, with a fine red poppy field almost half a mile back. When I become a civilian again (if ever), the sight of a sand-bag will make me scream.