Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Armstrong Whitworth's Newcastle upon Tyne

moonloon

On 02/01/2015 at 16:45, Guest art10 said:

My grandfather, Richard Ames was Head Foreman at the time of this fire, and for his efforts he was awarded £25 and also awarded the Medal of the Order of the British Empire. (This was the fore runner of the George Medal and was presented later by the Lord Lieutenant of Northumberland) I have both the original letters and his medal. Any further information on this incident e.g. any newspaper reports would be most welcome

post-119359-0-98984900-1420217093_thumb.

Would like to touch base with art2 as I am doing a talk on Canary Island. Contact john.taberham@btinternet.com

• Admin

Unfortunately, Guest prefix means that art10 (assume that’s who you mean) is no longer a member. Any account shown as Guest also means we will have no contact details saved. 

4 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Unfortunately, Guest prefix means that art10 (assume that’s who you mean) is no longer a member. Any account shown as Guest also means we will have no contact details saved. 

Thanks for getting back so quickly. It's a shame, contact would have helped with the story,  With WW1 media restrictions there is very little known about the ammunition filling factory at Lemington. I have managed through this forum and others (Ministry of Muntions and Imperial War Museum) to build a picture of over 1000 workers that included a large proportion of women who became known as Canaries. Through St James's Heritage and Environment Group we have managed to produce a video, that can be found on Youtube (Canary Island Final) it would have been nice to inform art10.  Regards John Taberham