Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Armstrong Whitworth's Newcastle upon Tyne

moonloon

can anyone give me information on tghe Armstrong Whitworth's munitions factory in Newcastle Upon Tyne i ahave been told there was an explosion there but i dont know when or any other information My grandmother worked their during World War I

• 3 weeks later...

Armstrong, Whitworth and Co. operated several establishments in the Newcastle area which came under the heading of munitions factories. They had shipyards at Elswick and Walker, arms factories at Elswick, Scotswood and Birtley, and an aircraft assembly plant at Gosforth. They also owned a shell manufacturing shop at Darlington which was managed by the North Eastern Railway on their behalf. As far as I am aware there was no filling of shells at their plants - just the manufacture of components. I have seen a reference to a Lyddite filling factory at Lemington, a mile or so from Scotswood, but I do not know the identity of the operator.

Patrick

• 3 months later...

Patrick, my grandmother too worked in munitions early in the war. She was from Hebburn. I don't know which factory, because apparently just about every factory on Tyneside did some form of munitions work. Local history/community sites like www.hebburn.org.uk are a good place to get info from the locals in the know!

• 1 month later...

I have now established that the filling factory at Lemington Point was managed by Armstrong, Whitworth and Co. It was known locally as "Canary Island" for the obvious reasons, though it was in fact a peninsula.

Patrick

In the seventies and eighties I used to visit the Vickers works at Scotswood where they had a Press Shop. Part of the building was a large pit where gun barrels were made in WW1. Outside on the quayside was a very large mobile crane which could lift several hundred tonnes. It was to lift things like gun turrets into battleships. A local pub on Scotswood Road was called The Hydraulic Crane after it. Next door to the Press Shop was the (military) tank fabrication shop.

Hi Phil,

The Hydraulic Crane pub was originally named after William Armstrong's invention which started him off on his road to fortune and fame in 1845. The first cranes were installed on Newcastle Quayside near to the present site of the Tyne Bridge. With the money he made from this he bought land on the riverside at Elswick. It was this site that subsequently expanded into his great armaments and shipbuilding complex which stretched from Elswick to Scotswood.

Not far from the Hydraulic Crane was another pub named The Gun, which testified to the products coming from the factory nearby. I don't know if it was still there in the seventies, as most of the buildings on Scotswood Road including Armstrong's original factory were demolished around that time.

Patrick

• 4 months later...
can anyone give me information on tghe Armstrong Whitworth's munitions factory in Newcastle Upon Tyne i ahave been told there was an explosion there but i dont know when or any other information My grandmother worked their during World War I

Hello MY Gran told me that she worked there too and that there was an explosion - she should have been working that day but had swopped shifts to help out a friend! If I can find anyother information I will send it you

Carole

• 3 years later...
Guest Beverley7

Hello, I also had a relative who worked at this munitions plant. On the 1916 Canadian census for Winnipeg, he is listed as the munitions manager at Armstrong Whitworth Co. His name was Joseph William DAWSON. Has anyone come across this name? Thanks, Bev7

• 2 years later...

Greetings, My Grandfather worked as a Nitroglycerene Worker in this facility when there was an explosion and fire. He was awarded the Medal of Order of The British Empire from the King (actually the Lord Liutenant) for his efforts in rescuing workers and helping to put the fire out. I know from letters of thanks for his efforts from the Management of the Munitions plant that it occerred on 23 Oct 1918.

post-106675-0-17623500-1391513706_thumb.

• 1 month later...
Guest margaretjane

Patrick, my grandmother too worked in munitions early in the war. She was from Hebburn. I don't know which factory, because apparently just about every factory on Tyneside did some form of munitions work. Local history/community sites like www.hebburn.org.uk are a good place to get info from the locals in the know!

You posted this a long time ago so I hope you are still active. I am doing a little project on "Canary Island" at Lemington (munitions factory) and I would love to be able to

use this info on your grandmother ? photograph ? name and anything else interesting if she did work at Lemington: it seems a long way for her to travel from Hebburn to

Lemington in those days.

Guest margaretjane

I have just joined forum so don't really know what I am doing. I am doing a little WW! project on "Canary Island" at Lemington and would love to be able to use any photographs

or information you have on your family members if you agree. Thanks Margaret Jane

I have just joined forum so don't really know what I am doing.

Welcome to the club, Jane, and don't think that those of us who've been here a while know what they're doing either. Aelita doesn't appear to have been around for a couple of years so may well not have seen your e-mail.

There are two recent good books on Battleships and Battlecruisers being built with the photo of various yards. I will check my copies later.

The Battleship Builders by Johnson and Buxton, ISBN 978-1848320932 has several photos. My dad use to be a director of Armstrong Whitworth.

• 9 months later...

My grandfather, Richard Ames was Head Foreman at the time of this fire, and for his efforts he was awarded £25 and also awarded the Medal of the Order of the British Empire. (This was the fore runner of the George Medal and was presented later by the Lord Lieutenant of Northumberland) I have both the original letters and his medal. Any further information on this incident e.g. any newspaper reports would be most welcome

post-119359-0-98984900-1420217093_thumb.

My grandfather, Richard Ames was Head Foreman at the time of this fire, and for his efforts he was awarded £25 and also awarded the Medal of the Order of the British Empire. (This was the fore runner of the George Medal and was presented later by the Lord Lieutenant of Northumberland) I have both the original letters and his medal. Any further information on this incident e.g. any newspaper reports would be most welcome

Sorry to disillusion you but the O.B.E. was not a fore-runner of the George medal. The George medal is the civilian's equivalent of the Victoria Cross. To quote Wikipedia the O.B.E. - "The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (often shortened informally to "Order of the British Empire") is the most junior and most populous order of chivalry in the British and other Commonwealth honours systems". Irrespective of the type of reward that he received your grand-father was a brave man.

• 2 years later...

My Great Grandmother worked in Armstrong Whitworth in 1917 in the Elswicks Works. This picture shows her with fellow workers and the Master Trainer Machinist Mr J Jones

Elswick Works Newcastle 1917.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 04/02/2014 at 11:27, Guest Digitant said:

Greetings, My Grandfather worked as a Nitroglycerene Worker in this facility when there was an explosion and fire. He was awarded the Medal of Order of The British Empire from the King (actually the Lord Liutenant) for his efforts in rescuing workers and helping to put the fire out. I know from letters of thanks for his efforts from the Management of the Munitions plant that it occerred on 23 Oct 1918.

On 27/08/2017 at 07:03, Guest said:

My Great Grandmother worked in Armstrong Whitworth in 1917 in the Elswicks Works. This picture shows her with fellow workers and the Master Trainer Machinist Mr J Jones

Elswick Works Newcastle 1917.jpg

On 04/02/2014 at 11:27, Guest Digitant said:

Quite a few years later but would like to touch base and use the telegram in a video I am making on Canary Island. Regards. JT

11 minutes ago, John T said:

Quite a few years later but would like to touch base and use the telegram in a video I am making on Canary Island. Regards. JT

Unfortunately, 'Guest Digitant' is no longer a member of the Forum. The 'Guest' bit of their title indicates that they are ex-members.

• 2 months later...

I'm a member of St James Heritage, Benwell, Newcastle. The video about Canary Island, Lemington,  is now on Youtube with footage from the Imperial War Museum. Search for "Canary Island Final" or visit St James Heritage and find the link to Canary Island. Hope you enjoy the show. JT

• 6 months later...

John, enjoyed the Canary Island , Leamington film on You Tube, never knew it existed before so learnt something new today. 😀

When I lived up there I regularly travelled over the Scotswood Bridge had no clue of the history.

Thank you for your efforts.

Thanks for that. I've still to finish the write up for Canary Island which I hope to finish early next year with the publication of a brochure. I'll keep you posted on progress.

I see your interested on the Tyneside Irish WW1 - I recently was given a book by John Sheen called "Tyneside Irish. 24th. 25th, 26th & 27th (Service) Battalions of Northumberland Fusiliers"

Hi, John thank you , I will look forward to it.

Yes ,  I have a copy really helped me and my Dad to appreciate what they achieved and endured.

Its only recently I've found that both my Grandfathers fought in the Great War. One was in the Northumberland Fusiliers - I have a copy of a letter from the King on his release from a POW camp. The other one was in the Royal Engineers and joined up underage - I have his medals. Both men were quiet and unassuming and never talked about their experiences. Like hundreds of thousands of others - great men that we owe. JT