Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Berkshire and the War

Guest Hill 60

From Mac

For everybodies info, the whole 'Berkshire and the war' series have now been completed and are on sale at the Regimental Museum (www.thewardrobe.org.uk ). I only mention that because the more we sell via the Museum the more chance we have to keep the Museum alive.

Some future projects that might interest. The Curator is in the process of getting all the War diaries avalible in hard copy, to assist those who go cross eyed looking at a screen. The Regimental Journals of the Royal Berkshire Regiment (1907 -1959) and the Wiltshire Regiment (1927 -1959) are to be placed on discs in a searchable format. (I already use this facility within the Museum as a Volunteer and they are invaluable)

The story of the 2nd Bn Wiltshire Regiment in the Great War by Shephard (Very hard to get) will in the near future be published by the Museum, another Volunteer has been working on it for a while.

The Berkshire Battalions project group have just produced (For the Museum) The 2nd Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment in the First World War.

Although slightly off the Great War target we have produced a pictorial history of the Royal Berkshire Regiment (1914 -1959) with 200 images. Chapter one covers the Great war. We are about to repeat the exercise with the Wiltshire Regiment (1914 -1959), due out february, again with the first chapter covering the great war. (A health warning, these are pictorial in content and are not Regimental histories. Our policy was 'Every picture should tell a story' and we think we have achieved it.

We are following up later in the year with both Regiments up to the Great War, thus completing the story.

Sorry for the plug, but this is one Regimental Museum that is doing a lot of work, and we need to let the world know.

Cheers

MAC

• 2 months later...
Guest bhjordan

Do you have any info on Philip James Wheeler, number 1770, Berkshire Yeomanry. He was Killed in Gallipoli 19/8/15, born and bred in Reading (he's my great uncle).

• 10 months later...
Do you have any info on Philip James Wheeler, number 1770, Berkshire Yeomanry. He was Killed in Gallipoli 19/8/15, born and bred in Reading (he's my great uncle).

Hi bhjordan

I have quite a bit regarding Tptr PJ Wheeler. I will post this tonight in the "BErkshire Yeomanry" Group on this forum.

By the way CWGC is wrong about his death - He DoW on 21st August 1915 after battles at Suvla on the same day.

regards

Andrew

(asst curator Berkshire Yeomanry Museum)