Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Berkshire and the War

Guest Hill 60

I have got hold of two CDs of 'Berkshire and the War' from Archive Britain.

The blurb on the pack states:

'Berkshire and the War is a unique record of a county's contribution to the First World War. Compiled between 1915 and 1919 it includes photographs and articles first published in the Reading Evening Standard as well as retrospective accounts written especially for this publication.

Around 9000 men are recorded, mainly from the Royal Berkshire Regiment and the Berkshire Yeomanry. However, men from Berkshire served in almost every unit in the British military.blah, blah etc'.

There are photos of civic functions and civilians.

I am willing to have a look for any names you have that are linked with Berkshire, with any luck there may be a photo of 'your' man!

Lee: I would appreciate it if you would look up the following officers in "Berkshire and the War" - all were born in Berkshire:

Captain Scott Keener Thompson, RFA

Lieutenant Fred Victor White, MC, MM, RFA

Captain Charles Randolph Mullings, RFA

Thanx. Dick Flory

Hi Lee,

Unlikely but would appreciate if you could have a quick look for:

Pte Charles George Cooper 7th (Service) Bn, Royal Berkshire Regt

Thanks

Gary

Lee,

I would be very grateful if you can do a surname check for any references to Norkett (Lt Norkett ASC died at home 1919) and also Percy Cox 1/ Royal Berks kia 29/4/1917. Noekett was living in the Maidenhead and a member of the then well known iron works family of that name. Cox was living at Bray I think.

Also my G/Gfthr Oscar Cox, killed on HMS Vanguard 9/7/1917. His parents were living in the Maidenhead area at the time and its a shot in the dark but it may have led to some mention of his death?

Many thanks,

Sigs

Dick - Sorry mate, no sight nor sound of your men

I would have thought that Lt White, MC, MM might have been mentioned but there isn't a thing.

Lee: Thanx for looking. Not a total loss - I ordered a set of the CDs. Regards. Dick Flory

Lee, may I ask for a look-up of the following:-

BUCKLEY, George William, Second Lieutenant, died Tuesday, 27/08/18, age 31, attd. 8th Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment.

Thanks in advance.

Stuart, Gary, Sigs & Richard - Sorry lads, no luck with those names :(.

Thanks for looking, Lee, much appreciated. Mine was a bit of a shot in the dark but hey you never know...

Gary

Sigs - Although there are pictures and references to 9,000 men, I think it's going to be something of a long-shot on all queries! Hopefully there will be a few hits amongst the many misses :lol:

Lee

I am a volunteer at the Regimental Museum at Salisbury that took the initative to prodce this work. The Curator Lt Col David CHILTON would like to draw the following to everybodies attention

"Anyone who wants to see if a person, place or unit of interest to themselves is on the Berkshire and the War

CDs, can do so by visiting the Archive Britain web site

(www.archivebritain.com) and check the complete set of indexes which are

freely available. True try before you buy. Then you can check out all the

war diaries on www.thewardrobe.org.uk"

The volunteers have spent many months indexing the whole series which clearly are not in anyway complete as far as Berkshire is concerned. The series were produced by a local newspaper and were only as good as the information supplied to them by relatives in the county at that time. As somebody who is resarching the Royal Berkshire Regiment I can say that this publication has been a god send in terms of information, but as you have already indicated it is a hit and miss affair. The remainder of the CDs will be produced shortly.

Cheers

MAC

Paul,

The website mentioned by Mac does have an online ordering facility. You can also download a manual order form if you wish. For details look at www.archivebritain.com/ordering.htm.

Apologies, can't seem to get tags to work with this post?

Marc

Hello Lee I wondered if you could check a Berks native who died?

Pte Z902 Harry Standbridge 1st Rifle Bde who died 13/5/15, he came from reading.

Thanks in anticipation

Clint Lawson

Hi Lee, great picture and yes its the same man, many thanks.

Clint Lawson

• 2 weeks later...

In response to some queries about individual men:

6622 Sgt H Mayhew

enlisted 16/10/1902

served with A Coy 8th Royal Berks during war

to hospital 31/10/18 - accident

promoted corporal 28/1/19

received Army number 5328094

16720 Charles Cooper

enlisted 30/1/15

served 7th Royal Berks

demobbed14/4/19

15657 J Norkett of Maidenhead

enlisted 23/11/14

trans to MGC 18/4/18 as 152392

37680 Percy Leopold Cox

born 1886

enlisted at Maidenhead

address 9 Furze Rd Maidenhead

kia 29/4/17

2Lt George William Buckley

b 1887

joined 8th Royal Berks August 1918

kia 27/8/18

parents address Beech St, Middlewich Ches

hope that helps someone

Yes, many thanks indeed, purley. I recently received the same information concerning Charles Cooper from the curator of The Wardrobe (www.thewardrobe.org.uk) website. Are you s/he?

Gary