Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Christmas Truce

dycer

On researching my book 'They Fought With Pride' I found detailed descriptions of the 2nd Monmouthshires participation in the Christmas Truce.

The television programme also includes a small amount of information about Sergeant Frank Collins a postman from Monmouth who was shot during the truce.

Sergeant Cornelius Love of Cwmbran, in his diary recorded the incident of Collins returning to the trench after exchanging gifts with the Germans.

One of our Company Sergeants was spotted in 'no man's land' and was fired upon from the enemy reserve trench and hit in the breast. I honestly think it was the act of a maniac. I could see that he was hit badly. He staggered to where I was standing and just managed to reach our wire. I helped him in and commenced to bandage and treat the wound where the bullet had entered, but when I turned him over I could see it was a hopeless case. The bullet had entered his lung. We did our best for him. He was sent on a stretcher to the Medical Officer, but he did not live long.

His death was recorded at 10.45 a.m. He left a widow and three children.

David

Sad tale from Dave Nich whose book I can heartily recommend.

On a less serious note I heard a recording of 'Steptoe and Son' a week or two ago where Albert recounts (for the umpteenth time) his account of the Xmas truce to long suffering son, Harold. After reflecting on the uplifting nature of the truce and how erstwhile enemies shook hands before returning to their trenches Harold reminds Albert that: 'And then you shot him'. Albert replies cheerily 'Yes, and his mate...'

A very funny take on a very serious matter.

Bernard