Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Christmas Truce

dycer

Sorry if that is not the full Title but I am sure the learned will know the Book I mean.

What are Pals' views on the accuracy of this Book?

The reason I ask.Apart from a Field Post Card in transit, bearing the postmark 25 December 1914 and Family verbal statements I have seen no documentary evidence that the 1/8 Royal Scots participated in the Truce until I read this book.It is interesting to note that the short history of the Battalion written just after the War makes no mention of the Truce.(I can undertand this as it would appear in many quarters participation was frowned upon)

I find the Truce uplifting and take pleasure in thinking that my relatives participated but will understand if you dash my hopes.

Thank you

George

I have always held this volume, particularly the later revised version, in high regard.

Given the access to IWM and other archives which Malcom Brown (and Shirley Seaton) used in researching and preparing the volume. I have no reason to doubt any of the content. It is worth remembering than any documentation of the event was frowned upon and much of what happened lives on in personal records and reminiscences.

On the basis of this book I am sure you can raise a glass on Christmas day to those who participated in mutual celebration of Christmas Day 1914 in the belief that your relatives had the opportunity to take part.

Martin

I agree with Martin. Malcom Brown has a good reputation and IWM sources are reliable.

I think Brown makes clear how patchy the Tommies' experience of the truce was. Many refused to believe it had ever happened, and some companies occupying the front line could be unaware of what was happeneing just a short distance away.

I'm re-reading the book at the moment, in keeping with the festive spirit. I'll be raising a glass of my own SRD at the appropriate times! I think you can safely do the same.

Happy Christmas,

S

• 11 months later...

Andy,

I found Malcolm Brown's Book a more detailed and researched volume.Probably because he was able to support Family Folklore that my relatives participated by showing that the Battalion was in the Front-Line on Xmas Day.

George

George - By way of local (ish) interest for you, the quotes related to 1/6th Cheshires accord with the Battalion history and subsequent first-hand accounts (see also "Stockport Lads together").

Andy - My review of "Silent Night" is in this section. By comparison, Weintraub is to good writing what I am to good brain surgery. Luckily the book was a gift so I hadnt wasted good money on it (but don't tell Mrs H what I really thought of it ;) )

John

Channel 5 showed a film on the Truce last Christmas and I am looking forward to hearing Malcolm Brown give his talk on it at our WFA meeting in March 2005. I have read his book and found it very readable and interesting.

A couple of weeks before Christmas 1999 Malcolm Brown gave a fascinating talk and slide show at the IWM to coincide (IIRC) with the paperback release of this book. It was a truly memorable occasion complete with mulled wine, mince pies and the German recording of Silent Night - something I shall never forget.

And the book is fantastic! :)

By coincidence I've just (well, Monday) lent the MB book to a colleague at work, whose son is performing a play called 'Merry Christmas Tommy' which is about the Christmas Truce - has anyone heard of this play ? I take it that it is a relatively modern play targeted at schools.

He was chuffed to bits with the book and took it to school to show everyone - a new generation of Forum members lie just around the corner...!!!!

Also lent her a box of shell cases to scatter artfully around the stage...!!

Jim

Andy - My review of "Silent Night" is in this section. By comparison, Weintraub is to good writing what I am to good brain surgery. Luckily the book was a gift so I hadnt wasted good money on it (but don't tell Mrs H what I really thought of it ;) )

John

John,

I hope Mrs H is not a forum member!

My own opinion of Silent Night is that it serves to demonstrate how much better "Christmas Truce" is.

Weintraub may be an easy read but his sources are not thoroughly researched and in some cases are more than questionable. I would suggest any reader wanting to know more about the truce need go no further than Christmas Truce by Brown & Seaton

• 2 weeks later...

At 9 o' clock tonight on BBC 2 there is a one-hour programme on the Christmas truce.

Get those video recorders at the ready!

Thanks

Ray

At 9 o' clock tonight on BBC 2 there is a one-hour programme on the Christmas truce.

Not according to Teletext, there isn't. Tonight's programme is about the Mau Mau.

Oops, you're right. The 'Christmas Truce' is next week (17th Dec). Silly me. I was getting all excited.

Thanks

Ray

An account of the 1914 Christmas truce, as witnessed by member of the 6th ( Donside ) Battalion TF of the Gordon Highlanders can be viewed on my website at

1914 Christmas Truce

It is, by far, the most viewed page on my site in the weeks before and after Christmas each year.

Very impressive documentary on BBC 2 last night.

Thanks

Ray

I didn't record it. I'd love a DVD copy too. It was very well researched and gave an insight into the truce from all levels of command.

Thanks

Ray

It was first shown on BBC4 a few months back, so is almost certain to be shown again on this channel over the forthcoming two weeks.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

The recently broadcast programme on BBC 2 about the Christmas truce of 1914 mentioned a Graham Williams and a Henry Williamson. Does anyone know anything extra about these men?

Thanks

Ray

• Admin
The recently broadcast programme on BBC 2 about the Christmas truce of 1914 mentioned a Graham Williams and a Henry Williamson. Does anyone know anything extra about these men?

Thanks

Ray

Hi Ray

Graham Williams survived the war and wrote his memoirs Saturday Afternoon Soldiers which were unpublished and presumably reside in the IWM. Henry Williamson went on to become the author of Tarka the Otter and the magnificent 15 volume Chronicle of Ancient Sunlight amongst others.

Both men served in the London Rifle Brigade at the time of the truce.

Regards, Michelle

Hi Michelle

Thanks for the info.

Ray

• 11 months later...
It was first shown on BBC4 a few months back, so is almost certain to be shown again on this channel over the forthcoming two weeks.

The Christmas Truce (History Documentary), (I presume this is the same program) will be repeated on

Channel Five 20:00 27th December 2005

Strange as it may seem,last night, I was looking at the Field Post Card(see my opening comments on this Thread) my Uncle wrote on 23 December 1914.

He wished his Relatives "a Good New Year,"no mention of Christmas,but according to the instructions on the Card he was pushing it by writing this. :D He also highlighted the fact that he had not heard from them for some time :ph34r: .

From the fragmentary evidence that remains I don't think he was an inveterate letter writer but it would have been nice if any correspondence he had written about the events had survived or indeed my Father had kept a written record of what his Brother told him when he was Home on leave.My Uncle was killed in 1918.

I,therefore,only have the tantalising glimpses of what he and his Brother(died of wounds 1915) saw and did during the Truce from reading the Book.

I don't even know if and when he heard from his Relatives.I console myself,though,as the remaining evidence in his "Christmas Box" shows everything was used but he did have the presence of mind to bring it and the Card and Photogragh Home :rolleyes: .

George

Thanks

Ray

Funny how things on this forum pop up again and how the treads often entwine. I recently provided a reply to a thread about a "remembered this day" soldier, which in turn lead to some research on the Christmas truce. Low and behold out popped an article on the truce by Henry Williamson, which can be viewed here.

Henry Williamson also wrote the book The Wet Flanders Plain. For more information about Henry see this link.

Chris