Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aircraft identification please!

eric e

Eric

Glad to help. i was just looking at the photo I posted from the Australian war memorial and noticed the guy on the extreme right behind the tail. Is he carrying a camera? Bit far fetched, but stranger things have happened!! :blink:

Cheers

Dominic

post-3023-1175675683.jpg

Domonic,

Apologies for delay in posting, certainly looks as if it could be a camera. I have been unable to contact John recently, but he did tell me the make of Sidney's camera a while back, unfortunately I've forgotten it. I will have to ask John again. Circumstantial evidence I know but if it was the same size as the one in the photo then the odds against would be narrowed a bit. :lol:

Cheers,

Eric.

I guess there's no way of knowing just when Sidney joined the ICC

Steve,

I do know when Sidney joined the ICC, I must remember to look at the Shropshire Yeomanry book a bit more often. Sidney joined the 6th Company ICC on 25th May 1916 along with Lieutenant Petit and 34 other troops. He signed up as soon as volunteers were asked for. So now we need to know if the 6th Co ICC were at Abu Sitte, El Ramleh on or just after the 15th October 1917. Also I'd like to know if the 6th Co. were made up of both British and Australians.as John says that Sidney fought alongside/with Australian troops.

Domonic,

Sidney had a Kodak Vest Pocket Camera. Having goggled the name it appears that the camera in your photo could well be one. It's certainly not a box camera. Problem though is the camera was so popular during World War I it was called the Soldiers camera, 1.8 million being sold between 1912-1926. :angry:

Still looking a long shot but as you say stranger things have happened.

Cheers,

Eric.

Mate,

The 6th Camel Company formed part of the 2nd (British) Camel Bn Camel Brigade. The 2nd Bn was a pure British Bn since the 28th Dec 1916 when all companies were reorganizied into either Australian, British or Anzac Bn's by the palcement of the companies, proir to that date Bn's were a mixture of companies ie, British companies and aussie companies in each Bn.

The two other Bn's in the Bde at that time were the 3rd and 4th Anzac Camel Bn's so yes, aussies were in other Bn's and the Bde and no, there were none in the 6th Company or any British company.

Around the 26th Oct 1917 the 2nd Camel Bn was near Khalasa on out post duty awaiting their part in the 3rd Gaza Battle only a few days away.

The 6th Company was not at that time with the Bn as it had moved from Rafa to Sollum in Western Egypt on the 13th Sept 1917 being replaced by the 8th Company.

So at the date you mention the 6th Company was hundreds of miles from Gaza.

I could find no mention of this aircraft in the 2nd Camel Bn war diary but not that important as many things are not mentioned.

Sorry

S.B

Mate I looked for the named you gave Abu Sitta and found the following;

The 2nd Camel Bn was releived by the 1/7th Essex Bn on Sh Abbas ridge on the 22/23rd April 1917 and moved to the south of Abu Sitta on the 23rd April and bivouaced.

It remained there untill the 26th April digging trenches then moved to the Abu Bakra on the Waddi Ghuzze. the 6th Company was in reserve of the Bn line.

The Bn moved to Rafa on the 19th May arrived on the 20th May.

S.B

Steve,

Thanks again for the time and trouble you have taken in clarifying my queries. It's much appreciated.

Looking again at the Shropshire Yeomanry, my Grandfather would have been at Abu Sitta on 26th October 1917 with the 10th KSLI as part of the 74th division.

Cheers,

Eric.