Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brocton Camp, Staffs

Cockayne

was up there again today, found some buttons, new zealand forces,

Where about's do you go treasure hunting, is it far from the visitors centre as I'd love to go up there myself

Cannock Chase was designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty some 50 years ago, and as such "treasure hunting" may not be an appropriate phrase. It might be worth checking up on the legalities of such things before wandering off.

TR

Cannock Chase was designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty some 50 years ago, and as such "treasure hunting" may not be an appropriate phrase. It might be worth checking up on the legalities of such things before wandering off.

TR

Hi TR

I wasn't going to head up there with a JCB!!!!! only joking

Just wanted to wander around the sites, the visitors centre at Marquis drive sells a map of the various sites so it is ok to visit and walk around the various parts of the camps. Just wondered from the other member where about's they had found the buttons as it might be worth looking further to see if there are any other finds on the surface.

Thanks

Rob

Hi TR

I wasn't going to head up there with a JCB!!!!! only joking

Just wanted to wander around the sites, the visitors centre at Marquis drive sells a map of the various sites so it is ok to visit and walk around the various parts of the camps. Just wondered from the other member where about's they had found the buttons as it might be worth looking further to see if there are any other finds on the surface.

Thanks

Rob

hardly a treasure hunt lol, was near the fredas grave site, was a ditch that had some broken plates and floor tiles , probably all bulldozed in during the demolition,was just intresting to see that stuff still on the surface

I'm sure that I've read in the book mentioned above about prisoners working on local farms, etc. but the factories of the Black Country may have been too far away - happy to be proved wrong.

Roy

What about the coalmines? I know that at least one new shaft was made during 1916 to the north of Hednesford which is only 3 or 4 miles from Brocton and much closer to Rugely Camp, although I have no evidence that PoWs were ever used on these workings it just seems logical to think that they were,

cheers, Jon

I'm sure that I've read in the book mentioned above about prisoners working on local farms, etc. but the factories of the Black Country may have been too far away - happy to be proved wrong.

Roy

It was suggested the POWs at Brocton could have worked in the coal mines. Protocol did not allow POWS to work underground, but there is no reason that the could not have worked above ground. However, I have found no mention anywhere of this happening, except for an entry on a list of POW mail, created by FJ Carter in 1933, for Newport Mining Gang. I would think this would be Newport in Gwent, but it does not necessarily follow what was being extracted was coal. There were many POWs that worked in quarries, as well as on the land. Many of todays watercourses can be attributed to them.

You might like these photo's:

www.messinesridge.wetpaint.com/page/Brocton+Camp?t=anon

s

You might like these photo's:

www.messinesridge.wetpaint.com/page/Brocton+Camp?t=anon

s

good pics, where exactly was the german pow camp?

Go past the site of the Messines Ridge model, and on through the barrier for about 200 hundred yards, this is the aproximate sight. If you root around a bit you can find the remains of an odd concrete base or two.

TR

Go past the site of the Messines Ridge model, and on through the barrier for about 200 hundred yards, this is the aproximate sight. If you root around a bit you can find the remains of an odd concrete base or two.

TR

ok thanks, this is good if one knows the exact location of the ridge, and as i dont is kinda akward???? i know fredas grave

Hello Everyone,

I've just come across your Brockton thread, orginally from B'ham now in Bavaria. Three weeks ago I bought a german WW1 post card showing three very young looking german soldiers standing in german army jackets, caps & boots under a oak tree on the photo is their pow camp numbers, a fairly mundane photo, I would not have normally bought, but the reverse side was for me interesting. The reverse side is sparcly written, only senders name - Bernhardt. Seb *** - P.O.W No 11547 - P.O.W. Camp Brocton - A Larger (work camp) near Stafford, England -- adressed to a farmers dauther at Unterdiessen bei Landesberg, Bavaria.no date stamp on the card. I got to thinking,where would these soldiers be working on the farms locally or in factories in the Black Country. Any information would be welcome.

Regards

Hi,

Just read your note about the POW photo. I have a photo (original) of the German POW camp on Brocton, and have located its exact whereabouts. It is near the Messines Ridge Model and Freda's grave (who was a Harlequin Great Dane, not a bloody dalmation!!). If you fancy doing a swap of scans, let me know.

r_pursehouse@hotmail.com

Richard

ok thanks, this is good if one knows the exact location of the ridge, and as i dont is kinda akward???? i know fredas grave

Freda's Grave

post-29968-1216847548.jpg

The WW1 rifle range can still be located because of the gravel bank which was the stop-butt.

Rifle range picture

post-29968-1216889675.jpg

You might be interested in the following from the Staffs & Stoke Archive Newsletter Spring 2008. I have typed it directly from the pamphlet:

Saturday 26th April 2008 sees a second study day on the Cannock Chase Great War camps. Since the first study day in 2005 a considerable amount of work has been carried out. Teams have surveyed the remains of the campsites and an original World War 1 hut has been re-erected at Marquis Drive. This year's study will start at the Staffs Record Office and continue in the afternoon with a walk across the Chase to look at the remains of the camp.

It is possible that it will be repeated in Spring 2009 and contact can be made to Helen Legge on 01785 278380.

JPG