Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brocton Camp, Staffs

Cockayne

Yes, Paul, the site still exists though only the tiniest traces of the camp remain. The area is now heavily forested (it wasn't then) and many of the forest tracks are the old camp roads. The WW1 rifle range can still be located because of the gravel bank which was the stop-butt. Remnants of the water-treatment plant still exist in the form of concrete channels.

Some of the present -day car parks for walkers and visitors used to be parade-grounds. Parts of the concrete bases of some of the power-station buildings can still be seen. You can also see the grave of "Freda" the dalmatian, the mascot of the New Zealand Rifles Brigade.

Of course, the CWGC cemetery which was started near to the camp hospital is still there.

There's a very good little book about the camps (there were two, Brocton Camp and Rugeley Camp) called "A Town for Four Winters" by C. J. and G. P. Whitehouse. It has plans of the camp and several "then and now" photographs.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
Paul - I'll dig out a leaflet I have that lists some of the remaining sites on Cannock Chase and contact you off list.

Graeme

Graeme,

I've just picked up this thread, don't know how I missed it before.

Could I be cheeky and ask for a scan of the leaflet? I often visit Cannock Chase and am familiar with the general area of the camps but have no other information.

Regards

Roy

Paul - I'll dig out a leaflet I have that lists some of the remaining sites on Cannock Chase and contact you off list.

Providing, of course, I can find it........

Now found and scanned, will contact you off list

Graeme

Could I be cheeky and ask for a scan of the leaflet? I often visit Cannock Chase and am familiar with the general area of the camps but have no other information.

Regards

Roy

No! Buy your own from the shop! They're only five bob, you skinflint........

No problem Roy, Mail you off list

Cheers

Graeme

Thanks Graeme,

e-mail on its way

Roy

• 3 weeks later...

Can anybody tell me if there were any western front style training trench systems associated with the Cannock Chase camps, and if so, are there any traces still visible ?

Thanks in anticipation

Guy

Guy

I understood that there was a large concrete model of something, somewhere on the Chase, but I suspect there's nothing left. Perhaps someone else will confirm this?

Guy,

I have visited the site of Brocton Camp many times during walks on Cannock Chase, without knowing what it was until quite recently. I am now engaged in researching both camps in greater depth but am not aware of any trench systems.

Gaeme,

I think that the model that you are referring to is a scale model of the Messines Ridge, probably constructed by German Prisoners under the supervision of the New Zealanders, to commemorate the successful Allied attack in 1917. The model was constructed from cement mortar, with zig-zag trench systems and roads moulded in, with lumps of brick to represent buildings. The whole was, I believe about 20 yards square.

The model was presented to the town of Stafford when the Kiwis left in 1919 but was by 1921 already falling into disrepair and today all that remains is covered by gorse. I am hoping to visit what remains of the model (if anything) later this year and will let you know how I get on.

Roy

• 4 weeks later...
There's a very good little book about the camps (there were two, Brocton Camp and Rugeley Camp) called "A Town for Four Winters" by C. J. and G. P. Whitehouse.  It has plans of the camp and  several "then and now" photographs.

While at the Staffordshire Regiment Museum yesterday I purchased this book,if anyone interested in information, let me know.

Regards Doug

There's a very good little book about the camps (there were two, Brocton Camp and Rugeley Camp) called "A Town for Four Winters" by C. J. and G. P. Whitehouse.  It has plans of the camp and  several "then and now" photographs.

While at the Staffordshire Regiment Museum yesterday I purchased this book,if anyone interested in information, let me know.

Regards Doug

Doug,

Is this an original or are they doing re-prints?

I got mine from abe.com a couple of months ago.

Roy

Roy

I have a 1996 copy,the original was printed 1978 as"Great War Camps on Cannock Chase." Then reprinted 1987 as " A Town For Four Winters" I have the reprint of this.

Which copy do you have then Roy?

Regards Doug

Roy

I have a 1996 copy,the original was printed 1978 as"Great War Camps on Cannock Chase." Then reprinted 1987 as " A Town For Four Winters" I have the reprint of this.

Which copy do you have then Roy?

Regards Doug

Doug,

I have the 1987 one.

Roy

• 2 years later...

I appreciate this thread is ages old but in case any one is still interested.

1. Jake's book a Town for Four Winters is still available from the Marquis Drive Visitor's Centre on the Chase. If you have a problem let me know.

2. Absolutely nothing survives of the Messines model however the remains of both camps are readily traceable.

3. There are numerous practice trenches associated with the camps. No Mans Land have been undertaking some limited archaeological excavation of the trenches recently (see recent posts by Martin Brown).

Ian

• 1 year later...
I appreciate this thread is ages old but in case any one is still interested.

1. Jake's book a Town for Four Winters is still available from the Marquis Drive Visitor's Centre on the Chase. If you have a problem let me know.

2. Absolutely nothing survives of the Messines model however the remains of both camps are readily traceable.

3. There are numerous practice trenches associated with the camps. No Mans Land have been undertaking some limited archaeological excavation of the trenches recently (see recent posts by Martin Brown).

Ian

walking over some trench systems on the chase i unearthed a ww1 type barb wire pole, the sort with the cork screw end

Hello Everyone,

I've just come across your Brockton thread, originally from B'ham now in Bavaria. Three weeks ago I bought a German WW1 post card showing three very young looking German soldiers standing in German army jackets, caps & boots under a oak tree on the photo is their pow camp numbers, a fairly mundane photo, I would not have normally bought, but the reverse side was for me interesting. The reverse side is sparely written, only senders name - Bernhardt. Seb *** - P.O.W No 11547 - P.O.W. Camp Brocton - A Larger (work camp) near Stafford, England -- addressed to a farmers daughter at Unterdiessen bei Landesberg, Bavaria.no date stamp on the card. I got to thinking,where would these soldiers be working on the farms locally or in factories in the Black Country. Any information would be welcome.

Regards

Ps. a belated posting of the picture

post-30624-0-82233800-1325621947.jpg

I got to thinking,where would these soldiers be working on the farms locally or in factories in the Black Country. Any information would be welcome.

Regards

I'm sure that I've read in the book mentioned above about prisoners working on local farms, etc. but the factories of the Black Country may have been too far away - happy to be proved wrong.

Roy

near marquis drive there are lots of trenches and spent shells, i even found what looks to be a ww1 barb wire picket with the twisted end to hold the wire, dont know if it was used to make up a mock no mans land zone?

near marquis drive there are lots of trenches and spent shells, i even found what looks to be a ww1 barb wire picket with the twisted end to hold the wire, dont know if it was used to make up a mock no mans land zone?

was up there again today, found some buttons, new zealand forces,