Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New First World War Feature Film

schmoodub

Hi all,

Firstly not sure where to post this topic, i chose this area because of the link with equipment... so im sorry if its in the wrong place...

Im am going to be sound effects/design editor on a new British first world war feature film which will commence filming later this year...

I am trying to find out if there is anyone/anywhere (a range or private land) that has lee enfield rifles or vickers/maxim machine guns that can be fired..... basically there isnt a sound library about with good quality recordings of first world war weapons... so i am looking to do some recording....

if anyone can point me in the direction of anyone that could help me out i would be vey gratefull...

a long shot i know but worth a try...

cheers

Paul.

Try here , I am sure they will be able to help or point you in the right direction . "MO" (and dont forget to mention me :D )

http://www.khakidevil.co.uk/

The only people that are likely to have live firing Vickers will be film hire companies like Baptys.

The other alternative is to approach the School of Infantry at Warminster or RMCS Shrivenham, both of whom have working Vickers in their collections. Whether or not the MoD would co-operate is another question though.

Of course, the Official Pedant is always available for hire as a small arms consultant....

Regards

TonyE

Hi

The Fiinnish military have some in service and I think I've seen them in some of the recent films such as:

The Winter War (Talvisota)

Beyond The Front Line (Framom främsta linjen) one of the best war films IMHO I've ever seen, and my mum said it was pretty good, and she was there.

Don't know if the sound recording is right....

Regards

Mart

Hi Paul

Some of the pals on the forum have live Lee Enfields, they could record themselfs fireing off a few rounds. There is a link somewhere of a chap fire a Lee Enfield, I can remember where the link is but hopefully someone can point you to it.

Whats the film going to be about, and when will it be out B) , glad too see you are doing your research into the matter hope rest of crew do the same.

Annette

Richard Holmes was filmed with a Vickers in one of Great War programmes.

Hello Paul

If this is the production in which 'goldenballs' Beckham wil be appearing then I suggest that a simulated machine gun recording could be easily made by following these instructions:

1. Suspend the aforesaid creature by his ankles from a bell rope.

2. Insert two marbles via the ear into the empty cavity.

3. Swing back and forth to create the sound of six hundred rounds per minute as required.

Oooooh Victoria, I'm dessicated!

:P

regards

Mel

A television programme was shown here in Britain, viewable on freetoview, this year, in which vickers MGs were fired at baloons to demonstrate enfilade fire. It was discussed on this forum. Anyone remember the thread?

In a recent docu. on the Sky Docs channel, the guy who commanded ground troops on the Falklands (oops name slips me now) was firing a Vickers ... I think it WAS (as pointed out) at the School of Infantry, Warminster.

Yer man Andy Robertshaw is always popping up with wonderful weapons on TV and of course the fleeting shadow which is Forum member 'Chief Chum' should be able to point you in the right direction.

In a recent docu. on the Sky Docs channel, the guy who commanded ground troops on the Falklands (oops name slips me now) was firing a Vickers ....

Brigadier Julian Thompson!

Hi Paul

Presumably you want various mike positions, and in 5.1, etc?

Sounds like in cinema quality so you might have to record.

Regards

Mart

Good Morning All,

thanks very much for all the speedy replies! very impressive

im afraid the budget doesn't trickle down to me enough for a trip to the states... as much as i would love that

:(

So if any recording was done it would really have to be in England...

I can almost deffinatley assure you that 'golden balls' will not be appearing in the movie.. unless of course that info has been kept from me so far as they know i would be very upset about it ..

The film is being made by people who have been involved with some big movies over here in the UK, and filming starts later this year, so should be out at some point next year. The story is set around a certain 'meeting of people' in no mans land ;) and having had a huge interest in the first world war since i was a kid im very exited about getting to work on it !!!!

As Mart suggested i will need to have very good clear recordings so im afraid (unless anyone is lucky enough to have a lee enfield/vickers and some good sound recording equipment) i would need to do the recordings myself... using various mic placements etc... as i would use the recordings for close middle and distant shots.. eventually building them up to be 5.1 surround for the cinema or dvd releases..

i shall have a look through the links that have been posted here and see what i can find.. thanks again everyone.. once again you can all pat yourselfs on the back for the speedy and helpfull support!

cheers

Paul.

Hi Paul

Hopefully like Master and Commander at the end of the DVD with a film the recording and fire of cannons, there is section of you waving a mike around a vickers et al. I think you might have make a ring tone for some of the forum members and maybe for this site, so ever time you get a pm it goes dadadada!

Another site, this time US with Film about the Winter War Fire and Ice.

Regards

Mart

now that would be fun! maybe i could place some mics into my tin hat and....... ok... stop now Paul.. :)

once i have got some sounds i'll make you a lil ring tone and post it up for ya !

Hi Paul

That would be great, but you might have to do a ring tone of a 08 Maxim for german members and Bob, you know what perfectionists members are.

Unless the the Official Pendent Rules that there is no difference, but you might trigger a thread about why the sound different, rounds or german manufacture versus british? :P

Regards

Mart

I have an e-friend on this side of the Big Drink who has a fully licensed, fully operable Maxim MG 08/15. He is presently restoring a 37 mm trench cannon. But I gather that funds would not allow a US junket.

Some of the posts seem to imply that some private individuals in the UK have legal automatic weapons and perhaps can fire them. Can this be true, given gun laws so strict that I understand that the UK Olympic team has to travel to the European mainland to practice target-shooting?

Bob Lembke

Some of the posts seem to imply that some private individuals in the UK have legal automatic weapons and perhaps can fire them. Can this be true, given gun laws so strict that I understand that the UK Olympic team has to travel to the European mainland to practice target-shooting?

Bob

You don't need a licence if you live in Peckham or Manchester. :(

regards

Mel

Some individuals and Companies have What is called Section 5 Approval from the Home Office which permits the possession of firearms that are prohibited to general members of the public. Attached is a picture from a Civilian firm that provided a firing display for the Army would you believe. Because Health and safety and all that good other stuff prevent the using of Weapons from some of the museums or Army collections. SandhurstLiveFire045-copy.jpg

Bob, the British people mentioned above as displaying automatic weapons are military historians who will be using weapons owned by museums or the army in TV programmes. Andy Robertshaw is a senior employee of the National Army Museum.

PS Sorry, 303man posted as I was writing my post. I didn't know about Section 5 approval.

Interesting.

I have a friend in Philadelphia who has a variety of distinctions. He is a direct decendant of Lord Delaware and through him Kings Edward III and Henry III. He also was both a commissioned officer in the US Navy and the US Army.

More pertinent to this thread, he also has a fully legal and functional Thompson .45 caliber "Tommy Gun". The paperwork is formidable, but do-able, if "your nose is clean".

Bob Lembke

PS: My friend with the workable Maxim MG 08/15 is the darling of re-enactors' meets that he goes to. I imagine that flying with a MG post 9/11 is quite dodgy. Years ago I flew twice with a hand-gun, and the airline types were seriously disinterested. But recently relatives flew and their six month-old was strip-searched and the contents of his diaper were carefully studied. Don't we feel safer?

Having spent my fair share of range time butt-marking for fullbore target rifle shooting, I know what a supersonic bullet sounds like when it passes close. No film I've ever seen has got this sound effect right.

In your movie, can we please have passing bullets that CRACK, not whizz or whine...

Regards,

MikB

• 3 weeks later...
Guest northfuse

There are living history groups whose members have Section 1 FACs and demonstrate blank firing of SMLEs eg

http://www.thegreatwarsociety.com/

I think they also do live firing at the Bisley range in Surrey.

Also there is a chap called Dickie Knight who runs the Vickers Machine Gun Society who demonstrates a blank firing Vickers MG.

http://www.khaki-on-campaign.co.uk/khaki.htm.

You could try asking them for help or just go along to one of their events ask if you could sound record.

I saw them at Old Sarum last August. I don't know if they provide extras for film work, some WW2 groups do.

They also had WW1 aircraft flying overhead if you need sound recordings of aircraft.

Good luck.