Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scout Association Centenary 2007.

JOSTURM

There is a personal memoir to a man called Phillips who died on the Somme. He wrote a guide for patrol leaders, if my memory serves me correctly.

Kate I have the memorial book to this man titled "Roland Philipps - Boy Scout" published at Roland House, London 1933. He was killed in action at Ovillers on 7th July 1916. Preface written by Robert Baden-Powell.

Roland Erasmus Philipps, the second son of John Wynford Philipps, Viscount St. Davids and Leonora Gerstenberg. Born Feb 27th 1890. Winchester then New College Oxford (1908). First contact with scouting in 1911. Became Assistant Scout Commissioner for East London in 1912 and Commissioner for N. E. London in 1913. Credited in the book with developed the Patrol System of Scouting. Author of a number of scouting publications. Gazetted to 9th Royal Fusiliers, wounded on 2nd March 1916. Awarded Military Cross. On his death his home named later Roland House (address 30/31 Stepney Green?) in Stepney was given to the scouting movement and kept as a memorial to him. Not sure if this is still the case. Regards Tim

G'day all from an ex-Australian Scout!!

Not sure if any have seen it, but T A Nash's book 'Diary of an Unprofessional Soldier' (mentioned in the Long,Long Trail) has a few letters in it written from Baden Powell to the author (Nash an Officer with the 16th Manchester Regiment).

The letters are from BP congratulating Nash on his MID and how proud the Bristol Scout Troop would be of his acheivement. From memeory Nash went back to the Scouts on completion of his WWI Service.

It is a great read if you can get your hands on a copy!

Dave

• 8 years later...

Pals

I've a picture from the Great War Mag.

Lt. Col. John Henry Stephen DIMMER. M.C.
22nd Bn, Kings Royal Rifles
Scout Worker Southend
for action at Klein Zillebeke, Belgium 1.11.14
Lt. Donald John DEAN. 8th Bn Royal West Kent
Regiment
Scout with 1st Sittingbourne Troop

Regards

Simon

Lt%20JHS%20Dimmer%20vs%202nd%20Kings%20r