Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Bn Seaforth Highlanders

eric.mac

I have copy of 1st Seaforths war diary ranging August 1914 - December 1915

Hi eggsy,

I am researching 63 Pte.W.Walker D.C.M.. I now have all his service papers (F.O.I.A.) and have found out that he was wounded by a Bayonet, on 7th June 1915. Is it possible if you could tell me from the War Diary what the Regiment was doing on this day, or perhaps the night before and where it was in France. I don't expect his name to be mentioned. I would be most grateful if you could be of assistance.

James.

Hi!

I realise that your post has been there for a long time but I am new to the Forum and am finding my way about. You mention a photograph taken in India. My grandfather was with the Meerut in India prior tobeing posted to France. Would it be possible for me to have a copy of the photo if I were to send my email address?

Thanks,

Hazel C.

QUOTE (aunt sal @ Apr 13 2007, 06:58 PM) Dear Eggsy, My great uncle was in the 1st bn seaforth highlanders and sadly was KIA on the 9th May 1915 age 24. He was Private Benjamin Slater 884, is there any mention of him in your book. We be most greatful for any info. I have a photograph of him. Do you know were these photos were taken, it looks very much the same as yours.

Regards auntsal

Auntsal

Unfortunately only officers are mentioned by name. According to the war diary on 9th May an artillery bombardment began at 5am and lasted 40 mins. Enemy maxim and considerable rifle fire was returned. At 5.40 the Seaforths advanced but heavy maxim and rifle fire stopped the attempt. Three further attempts were made, all with the same conclusion, most of those who made it over the parapet were cut down within a few yards.The battalion losses were: officers 7 killed, 10 wounded. Other ranks 131 killed, 346 wounded.

For more info regarding this battle, I can recommend Pen & Sword Battleground Europe series book Aubers Ridge by Edward Hancock.

The photograph I have was taken in India. The battalion was stationed there for a number of years before the war.

Eggsy.

• 12 years later...

Hi,
I'm researching a relative Alfred C K Mackie, Pte 1st Bn Seaforth H - Regt No.113. Killed in Action (sniper) 09 Oct 1915, buried Guards Cemetery Windy Corner, Pas de Calais, France. Any ideas for battles or location for this date.
Many thanks

Peter H

(Hampshire)

1915 Mackie,Alfred CK_d1915_soldiersEffects.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 05/03/2024 at 15:17, peter hannaway said:

Hi,
I'm researching a relative Alfred C K Mackie, Pte 1st Bn Seaforth H - Regt No.113. Killed in Action (sniper) 09 Oct 1915, buried Guards Cemetery Windy Corner, Pas de Calais, France. Any ideas for battles or location for this date.
Many thanks

Peter H

(Hampshire)

Peter,

The 1st Bn Seaforth's War Diary is available for download from The National Archives - if you firstly register an account, the download is free.

The particular part you are looking for is Ref WO/95/3941/1.

When you log on (to your account) use the search reference "WO 95 "1 Battalion Seaforth Highlanders"".

This will return all items associated with that Battalion.

Search results: WO 95 "1 Battalion Seaforth Highlanders" | The National Archives

Hope this helps.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Edited by Tom Lang

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for the link to the 1st Bn Seaforth's War Diary. With the loss of service records we at least have something tangible and it has lead me to 6th Bn Seaforth's War Diary and the death of his brother.

Kind regards

Peter

2 hours ago, peter hannaway said:

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for the link to the 1st Bn Seaforth's War Diary. With the loss of service records we at least have something tangible and it has lead me to 6th Bn Seaforth's War Diary and the death of his brother.

Kind regards

Peter

Glad to be of help.

Tom.

On 05/03/2024 at 21:17, peter hannaway said:

Hi,
Many thanks

Peter H

(Hampshire)

Do you have any photographs of him? Only asking as Dr Girdwood took many photos including the Seaforths during July-Sept 1915 and I can see if he features in any of them.

18 hours ago, Stereoview Paul said:

Do you have any photographs of him? Only asking as Dr Girdwood took many photos including the Seaforths during July-Sept 1915 and I can see if he features in any of them.

Hi Paul, The family have no photos. It would be amazing if one existed of him - Alfred C K Mackie or of his brother Robert C K Mackie- 6th Seaforth Highlanders (Pte, No 41154) KIA July 1917.
Regards
Peter