Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Bn Seaforth Highlanders

eric.mac

• 3 weeks later...
I have copy of 1st Seaforths war diary ranging August 1914 - December 1915

Is it possible to get a copy, covering August 1914 to May 1915. I would be happy to pay any costs incurred

Is it possible to get a copy, covering August 1914 to May 1915. I would be happy to pay any costs incurred

do you want me to copy specific dates or the whole lot? pm me

Hi Eggsy

A long shot but I am looking for more info on a Lt. Ferdinand Henry Conti of the Seaforth Highlanders.

Are there any refernces to him in the war diary for the period you have covered?

Any help appreciated.

Regars

Rory

Hi Eggsy

A long shot but I am looking for more info on a Lt. Ferdinand Henry Conti of the Seaforth Highlanders.

Are there any references to him in the war diary for the period you have covered?

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Rory

Hi could you look at the diary for December 20th 1914 . I am researching Arthur Singleton who was KIA on that day many thanks

Hi Eggsy

Are there any references to him in the war diary for the period you have covered?

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Rory

sorry Rory but can see no mention of him, generally officers will be noted if wounded or received award. I will keep looking and let you know if i find anything.

Eggsy

Hi could you look at the diary for December 20th 1914 . I am researching Arthur Singleton who was KIA on that day many thanks

Blue, i'm afraid the month of December 1914 is not available.The original record has been lost, sorry

Eggsy

• 2 weeks later...
Could you have a look for James FEENEY

Thanks

Mike

Mike,I have not seen Sgt James Feeney. Soldiers who are decorated, or if an officer is killed or wounded will be mentioned by name.

Eggsy

• 2 weeks later...
Mike,I have not seen Sgt James Feeney. Soldiers who are decorated, or if an officer is killed or wounded will be mentioned by name.

Eggsy

Thanks for the look

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Eggsy, My great uncle was in the 1st bn seaforth highlanders and sadly was KIA on the 9th May 1915 age 24. He was Private Benjamin Slater 884, is there any mention of him in your book. We be most greatful for any info. I have a photograph of him. Do you know were these photos were taken, it looks very much the same as yours.

Regards auntsal

Dear Eggsy, My great uncle was in the 1st bn seaforth highlanders and sadly was KIA on the 9th May 1915 age 24. He was Private Benjamin Slater 884, is there any mention of him in your book. We be most greatful for any info. I have a photograph of him. Do you know were these photos were taken, it looks very much the same as yours.

Regards auntsal

Hi Auntsal, although I do not have a copy of the Diary, I have some information on this battle. The Battle Of Aubers Ridge. 9th May . 1st Seaforth Highlanders were part of the Indian Corps, Meerut Division, Dehra Dun Brigade. They fought alongside Gurkhas and The 1/4th Seaforths ( a TF Batt.) They were the attack wave. Unfortunately , as they left their trench to attack, they came under heavy machinegun fire. Casualties in the Official History are 21 officers, 488 men.

Hi Auntsal, although I do not have a copy of the Diary, I have some information on this battle. The Battle Of Aubers Ridge. 9th May . 1st Seaforth Highlanders were part of the Indian Corps, Meerut Division, Dehra Dun Brigade. They fought alongside Gurkhas and The 1/4th Seaforths ( a TF Batt.) They were the attack wave. Unfortunately , as they left their trench to attack, they came under heavy machinegun fire. Casualties in the Official History are 21 officers, 488 men.

Thank you for your reply. I went on the 1914-1918 website and printed of the Battle of Aubers Ridge 9 may 1915. After reading such a tragic loss of so many i was truly choked.

Thank you for your reply. I went on the 1914-1918 website and printed of the Battle of Aubers Ridge 9 may 1915. After reading such a tragic loss of so many i was truly choked.

If you know where your relative is buried, there is a good chance I will be in the area in the near future. Let me know and I will try to get a pic of his headstone for you.

Regards auntsal

Auntsal

Unfortunately only officers are mentioned by name. According to the war diary on 9th May an artillery bombardment began at 5am and lasted 40 mins. Enemy maxim and considerable rifle fire was returned. At 5.40 the Seaforths advanced but heavy maxim and rifle fire stopped the attempt. Three further attempts were made, all with the same conclusion, most of those who made it over the parapet were cut down within a few yards.The battalion losses were: officers 7 killed, 10 wounded. Other ranks 131 killed, 346 wounded.

For more info regarding this battle, I can recommend Pen & Sword Battleground Europe series book Aubers Ridge by Edward Hancock.

The photograph I have was taken in India. The battalion was stationed there for a number of years before the war.

Eggsy.

Auntsal

Unfortunately only officers are mentioned by name. According to the war diary on 9th May an artillery bombardment began at 5am and lasted 40 mins. Enemy maxim and considerable rifle fire was returned. At 5.40 the Seaforths advanced but heavy maxim and rifle fire stopped the attempt. Three further attempts were made, all with the same conclusion, most of those who made it over the parapet were cut down within a few yards.The battalion losses were: officers 7 killed, 10 wounded. Other ranks 131 killed, 346 wounded.

For more info regarding this battle, I can recommend Pen & Sword Battleground Europe series book Aubers Ridge by Edward Hancock.

The photograph I have was taken in India. The battalion was stationed there for a number of years before the war.

Eggsy.

Thankyou. My great uncle must have been in india then. thankyou for all your information.

Aunt sal

If you know where your relative is buried, there is a good chance I will be in the area in the near future. Let me know and I will try to get a pic of his headstone for you.

That is very kind of you. Private Benjamin Slater 884 1st bn seaforth highlanders age 24 years died 9 may 1915 remembered with honour Le Touret Memorial. I have another great uncle, Joseph slater lance corporal 4/7901 2nd bn west yorkshire regiment(prince of wales own) died age 22 1 july 1916 remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial. This would be very much appreciated. Aunt sal

Hi

Any ref to a Pte Murdo Macrae my grandfather wounded twice in 1915.

Dan

• 1 month later...

Hi

Is there any reference to Lt Ronald James Stewart MC he died of wounds on the 26th of January 1916 but I assume he won his MC during the period you have

Thanks Hambo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Eggsy

A long shot but I am looking for information regarding my great-great-uncle Private Alexander Brown of the 1st Bn. Seaforth Highlanders, (He originally joined the 2nd Bn. Seaforth Highlanders but when he died of wounds on 15th November 1917 shortly after the battle of Tikrit he was listed as 1st Bn. Seaforth Highlanders).

Are there any refernces to him in the war diary for the period you have?

Many many thanks for any help that I may receive.

Gilly

• 2 months later...

Eggsy-

I'd be very grateful for a complete copy of what you have; at least two officers serving with the battalion in that period were Winchester College boys (Baillie-Hamilton and Horn).

If you have an electronic copy, the easiest way would be by e-mail to shaunhullis@yahoo.co.uk; if not, I'll happily cover any postage/copying costs.

Yours,

Shaun

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help, I have a MC DCM Group to Q M Major Norman Reid of the 1st Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, he won his DCM on the Northwest Frontier in 1908, his MC was Gazetted on 1st January 1919 but has a date privately engraved on the reverse of 19th Sept 1918. I understand he was serving in Egypt at the time can anyone help he with the date 19/9/1918 was there a particular Battle that th 1st Seaforths were involved in on that date.

I have struggled with research on his service as his papers are not at the National Archives, he was serving as Col Sgt in the Sudan 1896 & was Sjt Major when he won his DCM Commissioned in Oct 1908, latest date service I have was 1921. I would be most greatful for any information on him that anyone could give.

Regards

Bryan

post-22825-1189547129.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi

it would have been the battle of sharon near nablus in the current west bank they called the battle megiddo

battle of sharon

The seaforth papers were destroyed in the blitz on london sadly.

he must have served with my Grandad, he was in India before the war and served with the seaforths until the end of this battle wounded three times over the years. I'm trying to get hold of war diaries for the battalion not really sure how to do this

• 7 months later...

Hello

My Father was in The Seaforth Highlanders. Thomas Corkhill DOB 18th January 1901. Can you please look in the Diary ?

Many thanks