Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC in Egypt - I'm here and taking photos

southafricawargraves

Hello Mike,

Would you by any chance be going anywhere near Tel el Kebir War Cemetery. I have someone, reference 71 CWGC, 16 Tel El Kebir

He is James Maxwell Ferguson of the 10th Light Horse. I think it may well be off the beaten track.

I have emailed Ricky Nortje in South Africa regarding a relative of mine, so will be in touch when you return from your travels.

Take care,

Cheers

Shirley

Hello Mike,

Would you by any chance be going anywhere near Tel el Kebir War Cemetery. I have someone, reference 71 CWGC, 16 Tel El Kebir

He is James Maxwell Ferguson of the 10th Light Horse. I think it may well be off the beaten track.

I have emailed Ricky Nortje in South Africa regarding a relative of mine, so will be in touch when you return from your travels.

Take care,

Cheers

Shirley

Tel El Kebir is certainly on my list I will revert when I am heading there! Someone told me about a service at one of the cemeteries on ANZAC Day soon, so I am looking into that now!

Just realised that ANZAC Day has gone, so unsure what the Australians and New Zealanders are up to here in Cairo next week! Any ideas?

Can't remember the date or battle now but didn't they have a bad time in one of the North African battles?

Tony

Tony If I find the answer, I will let you know. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Ralph,

Just emailed you but just in-case anyone reading this already has this chap...

Name: OSTLER, WILLIAM CLIFFORD Cairo War Cemetery K131

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=2274329

I took this photo today, so let me have your private email and I will send it today.

Cairo is quite easy and I will do it soon.Alex and Alamein may take longer but trust me- I will do it for you.

Thanks very much, there is absolutely no hurry and I am really grateful for your kind offer

Moriaty

Could I also jump on the bandwagon having seen this thread?

If so I would be very grateful for a picture of these men :

Cairo War Memorial Cemetery

Cpl Edward George Hollins Died 1-Feb-1917 plot F190

Pte Harry Thomas Died 26-May-1917 plot F250

And if anyone is visiting Alexandria (Chatby) Military Cemetery

Pte Francis Douglas Tuck Died 5-Oct-1915 plot D.76

Best Wishes

Richard

Got Hollins and Thomas today for you!

• 5 weeks later...
I took this photo today, so let me have your private email and I will send it today.

Sorry KL, missed your post. Thanks for that but just recieved the photo from Ralph.

Thanks to both of you.

Just a public thank you to Ralph for taking the fantastic photo of my lads grave at Port Said War Memorial Cemetery....Thanks again Ralph.

John.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Did everyone get the request that they asked for?

I'm done sorting pix for the most part.

Hi,

Did you manage to get James Maxwell Ferguson of the 10th light horse in Tel el Kebir? I have sent a pm to you anyway.

Thanks

Shirley

Got Hollins and Thomas today for you!

Kirkes

Not sure how I missed this post !!! :blush: I thought I was all geared up for an email notification.

Very many thanks indeed for going to the trouble to take these for me, and humble apologies for a very tardy reply time :blush:

Richard

Hi all,

Did everyone get the request that they asked for?

I'm done sorting pix for the most part.

Hello Ralph, I am still waiting but perhaps too many to send, Jim

Did you manage to get Lt Vernon William Nutkins at Ismalia?

• 2 months later...

I notice my great uncle is listed on the wants list. I was on a waiting list for a photo of his grave from the British Legion, but no joy yet.

It's Sealby Edward 891925 El Alamein War Cemetery - Iv. G. 31. Egypt

did you manage to get a photo of his grave?

Please let me know.

Many thanks

Karen

:)

• 1 year later...
Willingly, but you missed out yesterday as I just read this.Send me your email address and I will get them for you, when I next go.

Can I publicly say what a wonderful job the guys do at Cairo War Memorial CWGC . They will find the graves for you, make phone calls if they struugle to find them and having spent an hour with you they wont accept a tip (and that is very unusual here, as even the Police expect a tip when your car parks outside).Thanks Simon to your team.

Hi,

I just found your post on doing a search for Tuck, can I ask if you managed to take a photograph of RWF Private Francis Douglas Tuck's name on the Alexandria Memorial, if so may I beg a copy? I would be most grateful.

Kindest regards,

Stephen.

• 2 years later...
Guest slmiddleton

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm unable to PM yet. I see that Charles Hampshire STEVENSON is mentioned in this thread. Did anyone get a photo of his grave in Chatby cemetary? He was my grandmother's first husband and I know his daughter would really appreciate seeing a photo as she is unable to make the trip to Egypt to visit.

Thanks

Hi slmiddleton and welcome to the Forum,

if there's no response on this thread, try asking the www.britishwargraves.co.uk website as I think they have the several cemeteries at Chatby covered.

LST_164

• 10 years later...

Really sorry to be following this up nearly 10 years after the last message on this thread.

A few pages back there is a request for a grave from the CAIRO WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY.

POPE BEY s 18/03/1919 P. 48.

This is my Great Great Grandfather and I would be extremely grateful if I could obtain a copy to share with my Father and Aunts.

Kind Regards,

Mark

On 24/12/2021 at 16:07, Jrmh said:

Thanks so much Jim, we had the National Archive reference, but not the observer article.  Have found similar articles, but that had more detail.

Kind Regards,

Mark