Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC in Egypt - I'm here and taking photos

southafricawargraves

Hi gang,

I'm on sojourn from bitterly freezing cold Canada. Been in Egypt for the last 2 weeks. Primarily taking photos for the South Africa War Graves Project but will take requests. I completed all the Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders and scores of Brits years ago, but didn't do the South Africans and Indians and Colonies. Please don't reply here, but send me an email at: ralph@southafricawargraves.org

I've already been to Cairo War Memorial Cemetery (can go back), Heliopolis War Cemetery (can go back), Alexandria Chatby, Hadra, Manara Indian, Brit Protestant and Jewish, last two done. Chatby and Hadra I might be able to sneak back to if you send me an email by tomorrow.

I did about half of Halfaya Sollum and had to leave because my driver was getting ansy and the batteries for my camera where drained. I'm going to El Alamein the day after tomorrow. I'll be there about 2 days I figure. No internet there as it is just the cem and desert. I'll be staying at a ramshackle hut only used by long hauldrivers in case of an emergency. Trust me,not a fun place to stay. Did it 4 years ago and was caught in a sandstorm for 2 days. Again send requests by tomorrow night.

Then I'll be heading down to Aswan, small cem will get it all. Back upto Cairo to collect the pass of military passes to get into Moascar Cem (likely the hardest cem in the world to visit...have to apply 30 days in advance at brit embassy and then only maybe you might get a pass). Then head out to Suez Canal area cems. I'm going to try and get all of Port Said, Kantara, Ismailia, Tel-el-Kebir, Fayid and Suez cems.

So you have a day to get me requests for El Alamein and Alexandria cems. Again email don't post.

If you think you can reciprocate with photos in your area it would be much appreciated. See South Africa War Graves Project www.southafricawargraves.org

Jim Strawbridge, Terry emailed you that I got your women. I'm still getting them.

As a rule, if I can't complete a cem (minus Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, Soputh Africans and India & Colonies) I try and do as many Brits as possible, generally by unit rather then block or section. Usually go for RAF/RFC/Navy/Medal winners/women/oddball units that catch my eye/unknowns (I have a thing for them). So if you don't get a request to me in time there is always a chance I might have collected the stone up.

It all depends if my camera/cds/batteries decide to be finnicky that day or not.

Ralph

Re your offer for photographs. If it is at all possible any or all of the following please.

STEVENS, Lottie M. Staff Nurse Alexandria (Chatby) Mil & War Mem.Cem. Q -565 15.03.1916

BUTLER, S. E. Sister Alexandria (Chatby) Mil. & War Mem.Cem. Q569 14.04.1916

HAWLEY, Nellie Prob. Nurse Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cem. B -46 31.12.1917

COOKE, E.K. Staff Nurse Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cem. B - 25 08.09.1917

GROVER, Alice Jane Sister Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cem. C - 176 06.02.1919

PARKER, Elizabeth Kelly Matron Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cem. B - 4 16.10.1916

ROBERTS, Margaret Staff Nurse Alexandria (Hadra) War Mem. Cem. B - 44 31.12.1917

JOHNSTON, Margaret Staff Nurse Cairo War Memorial Cemetery, D84 05.09.1915

PEPPER, Edith Dorothy Prob. Nurse Cairo War Memorial Cemetery, O - 145 07.04.1918

REID, Annie Campbell Staff Nurse Cairo War Memorial Cemetery, Q - 281 04.03.1919

TURTON, Alice Mary Staff Nurse Ismalia War Memorial Cemetery, A - 31 07.05.1917

Will be most grateful

Cheers, Tony

Didn't read your instructions correctly - email, on the way

Ralph

E-mail sent with regards to:

Private 15/999 Edward Collingwood Wintle The 15th (Service) Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment KIA 8th February 1916, Kantara Military Cemetery.

If you get the chance.

Regards

Andy

Ralph, appreciate your kind offer.

I would be grateful of grave photos and general view for the man below when you get to Ismailia.

I have a photo from 1940-41 but nothing more recent.

JAMES ALEXANDER BRANDER

Marine

PO/X4529

H.M.S. Ramillies., Royal Marines

who died on

Wednesday, 27th November 1940. Age 20.

Commemorative Information

Cemetery: ISMAILIA WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY, Egypt

Grave Reference/

Panel Number: 2. B. 1.

Fantastic! Lucky man Ralph, glad youre having a blast! Keep us updated so we can all dream of hot weather and cemeteries in far off lands wont you?!

Pals,

Email me please, no PMs or posts. The reason behind this is not every internet cafe is as good as the one I'm currently in. Some the keyboards are sticky, keys loose or missing or letters worn off and when using an Arabic keyboard this tends to be a problem. But usually I can print off requests no problem. I leave tomorrow for Alamein. So you have until tonight to get those requests into me. This includes Alexandria graves. Cuz after those requests, I'm going back to Cairo.

I don't want to sound prickish, but can you meet me half way? This means, names & plot numbers, not any grave to the "umptotheumpth" battalion. While I may remember this, I may not. I'll still do those no problem but I still need names and plot numbers. If I have a name and plot number then all I have do is look at the list. If you have a number of requests from the same cem, put them in order by plot number not alphabetically. Helps when walking amongst 2000-8000 graves.

Remember no PMs or posts to me, I may not be able to read them. Emails only. If some kind soul wants to collect up all the requests and put them into an orderly list for me, that would sure help, then email them to me.

My plan of action is, back head back to Alamein and try and stay there, else I'll be bussing it in every day to Alamein. My camera and batteries are only good for 4-5 hours a day and there are still 6000+ graves I need to do in Alamein, at least 1000 will get done if not more. Then head back to Alex, can clean up requests there, then back to Cairo. Then Aswan, back to Cairo, then Ismailia, then Port Said, Kantara, Tel el Kebir, Fayid and Suez. I fly back out of Cairo so might be able to tackle the extremely late request at the last second in Cairo and Heliopolis. Otherwise the early bird gets the worm.

Remember, some kind sould collecting everything up and organizing it for me, makes life and snapping pix a lot easier. Haven't found an internet cafe yet in Egypt that has MS Word on it that I can sit here and collate on. Oh, and no attachments, just cut and paste into the body of an email, that helps.

I'll cut and paste what was sent so far. And maybe some kind soul will help.

----------------------------

All are Bedford Regiment graves and any Other Ranks that happen to jump out at you as you are around and about would be wonderful! There are too many to list so I did not feel it fair or appropriate to ask!! Also (sorry!) if you are standing at any memorials to the missing and see a panel with Bedfords, I would also be very grateful to see a snap, especially if the names are visible as I am sometimes asked for that kind of things and have almost all the French ones but no Mediterranean ones!

Cairo:

2/Lt Leonard Leader Brereton

Suez:

2/Lt John Leonard Dawson

Hadra:

Lt GO Lydekker

Lt George Harold Pinchin

Kantara:

Major Frederick Gordon Owens

-------------------------

ELLERY Horatio SS/15314

Buried ALEXANDRIA (CHATBY) MILITARY AND WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY D. 7.

ANNEAR JAMES HENRY SS/14103

Buried ALEXANDRIA (CHATBY) MILITARY AND WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY F. 39.

------------------------------

Cairo New British

Denham - Protestant (Plot J Grave 136).

--------------------------------

If you manage to get to Kantara Military Cemetery and you get chance could you please take a picture of:

Private 15/999 Edward Collingwood Wintle, 4 Section, 9 Platoon “C” Company The 15th (Service) Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment KIA 8th February 1916, Kantara Military Cemetery, Egypt

--------------------------------------

In my enthusiasm I posted my request then re-read your post and obeyed your instructions

Re your offer for photographs. If it is at all possible any or all of the following please.

STEVENS, Lottie M. Staff Nurse Alexandria (Chatby) Mil & War Mem.Cem. Q -565 15.03.1916

HAWLEY, Nellie Prob. Nurse Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cem. B -46 31.12.1917

GROVER, Alice Jane Sister Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cem. C - 176 06.02.1919

PARKER, Elizabeth Kelly Matron Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cem. B - 4 16.10.1916

ROBERTS, Margaret Staff Nurse Alexandria (Hadra) War Mem. Cem. B - 44 31.12.1917

PEPPER, Edith Dorothy Prob. Nurse Cairo War Memorial Cemetery, O - 145 07.04.1918

REID, Annie Campbell Staff Nurse Cairo War Memorial Cemetery, Q - 281 04.03.1919

---------------------------------------

Alamein Memorial:

Gunner W. N. Carter, Royal Artillery (killed 31st May, 1942).

Gunner, O. A. S. Irving, Royal Artillery, (killed 14th September, 1942)

If you get to Alexandria (Hadra) War Cemetery then I'd very much like a

picture of this man's grave too:

Ordnance Artificer W. Jackson, Royal Navy, (died 14th July, 1941). He is in

Plot 2. A. 11.

If you managed to get a photo of Corporal D. Bayliffe's grave in Halfaya

Sollum War Cemetery (Rand Light Infantry, Plot 14. C. 6.) then please may I

have a copy.

-----------------------------------------

Just realised I have one man at Ismailia War memorial cemetery -

23288 Private Thomas Booth died Egypt 22 April 1916 grave B 77.

Do not put yourself out with the others as you have already visited Chatby and Hadra once.

---------------------------------------------

Researching 9th (service) Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derbys Regiment) during the Great War.

-----------------------------------------

Buxton Ernest Mosborough Yks Sutt in Ashf Sutton in Ashfield 22628 Private d o w Gallipoli 04/10,1915 Alexandria (Chatby) mil Gallipoli Turkey F 78

Chatterton Arthur Francis Tuxford Notts Retford Notts Tuxford Notts 12986 Private d o w Gallipoli 25/09,1915 Alexandria (Chatby) mil Gallipoli Turkey D 181

Deary Joseph Hyde Lancs Derby Clayton Lancs 13249 Private d o w Gallipoli 27/11,1915 Alexandria (Chatby) mil Gallipoli Turkey C 88

Dessaur Myer Radford Ntts Nottingham 2902 Private died Egypt 05/02,1916 Alexandria (Chatby) mil Trenches Egypt E 19

Ford George Henry Derby Derby 12502 Private d o w Gallipoli 25/08,1915 Alexandria (Chatby) mil Gallipoli Turkey F 86

Mills Job Matlock Derbys Derby Matlock Derbys 13272 Private d o w Gallipoli 14/09,1915 Alexandria (Chatby) mil Gallipoli Turkey F 128

Taylor George Whitwell Notts Mansfield Warsop Notts 13066 Private died Gallipoli 12/08,1915 Alexandria (Chatby) mil Gallipoli Turkey K 141

Webster Arthur Kirkby in Ashfield Mansfield Nuncargate Notts 18090 Private d o w Gallipoli 29/08,1915 Alexandria (Chatby) mil Gallipoli Turkey F 169

Smedley John Derby Chesterfield Old Whittington Dbys 22195 Private died Egypt 13/05,1916 Alexandria (Hadra) Cem Trenches Egypt D 8

Researching 9th (service) Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derbys Regiment) during the Great War.

----------------------------------------------

KP/671, Able Seaman, John William Palmer.

Anson Battalion. Royal Naval Division, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve.

Died of typhoid, 27 March, 1915.

Grave/Memorial: Port Said War Memorial Cemetery, Egypt.

Grave No., G. 3.

Additional information: of Robert and Mary Palmer, of Lambton Terrace, Sherburn Hill, Co. Durham.

-----------------------------------------------

Private Charles Richard Honey (17826) and was serving in the Cape Town Highlanders (B Division??), a South African company. I believe that he was buried (with others) in a grave in Egypt.

---------------------------------

Alexandria Chatby Cem -

All Private soldiers -

Joseph DEARY , 13249, 27/11/1915 - C 88

Arthur Francis CHATTERTON, 12986 - 25/09/1915 - D 181

Myer DESSAUR, 2902, 05/02/1916, - E19

Ernest BUXTON 22628 4/10/1915 - F78

George Henry FORD,12502 - 25/08/1915 - F86

Job MILLS, 13272, 14/09/1915 - F128

Arthur WEBSTER, 18090, 29/08/1915 - F 169

George TAYLOR, 13066 -12/08/1915 - K 141

Hadra -

John SMEDLEY, 22195, 13/05/1916 - D 8.

---------------------------------------

As far as reciprocating with photos which would be appreciated, see www.southafricawargraves.org. Take a look at the countries listing and see if any of the cems that aren't done need doing. The larger countries all have National Coordinators, so please email them as I am on the road till May.

and these requests as well

Surname First name(s) Service Number Where Buried/Memorial Country / Locality

Brown

George Douglas

Alamein Memorial Egypt

Fairfield William Henry 1470735 Alamein Memorial - Column 280 Egypt

Podd Herbert Charles George Alamein Memorial -Grave Ref Column 37 Egypt

Taylor Robert William 521609 ALAMEIN MEMORIAL. Egypt

BISSELL FREDERICK LESLIE 4972917 ALAMEIN MEMORIAL. Column 65. Egypt

CHESTER FREDERICK THOMAS 4978087 ALAMEIN MEMORIAL. Column 66. Egypt

Harvey Samuel George 18043 ALEXANDRIA (CHATBY) MILITARY AND WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY Ref H.46 Egypt

William McHenry QX1906 Alexandria ( Hadra ) War Memorial Cemetery - 3. D. 8. Egypt

Barrow T 1493 Alexandria (Chatby) Military And War Memorial Cemetery Egypt

Gunn John Bethune Mcleod (Served As Main) 832 Alexandria (Chatby) Military And War Memorial Cemetery Egypt

Mosdell William Henry 14868 Alexandria (Chatby) Military And War Memorial Cemetery Egypt

Stevenson Charles Hampshire 4973300 Alexandria (Chatby) Military And War Memorial Cemetery

Egypt

Westlake Henry 243 Alexandria (Chatby) Military And War Memorial Cemetery - D. 216. Egypt

Haley H.G. 1346 - Australian Forces ALEXANDRIA (CHATBY) MILITARY AND WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY - H. 150. Egypt

Harris William George 75 Alexandria (Chatby) Military Cemetry - G28 Egypt

Hobbs J W 522405 Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cemetery Egypt

BRERETON Leonard Leader Cairo War Memorial Cemetry - F. 227. Egypt

Barnes Francis Arthur Edward 11123 Cairo War Memorial Cemetry - Q. 117. Egypt

SUTHERLAND JOHN 2815522 El Alamain War Cemetery. VI E. S. Egypt

Sharp Alexander 2885214 El Alamain War Cemetery. VI. H. 23. Egypt

Todd George 812729 El Alamain War Cemetery. XIX. E. 7. Egypt

Barnardo Freeman Frederick Thomas 156025 EL ALAMEIN WAR CEMETERY - Coll. grave XVII. H. 16. Egypt

Sealby Edward 891925 El Alamein War Cemetery - Iv. G. 31. Egypt

Hickey Robert George vx30438 - Australian Casualty EL ALAMEIN WAR CEMETERY -XXII. F. 4. Egypt

Newland Lawrence Frederick El Alamein War Cemetry Egypt

Edwards Louis C/275552 El-Alamain War Memorial - Xxxii.F.11 Egypt

Bryce William Fishwick S/186281 Fayid War Cemetery Egypt

Moulla H A 21379 Fayid War Cemetery - 26. D. 7. Egypt

Dorgan Richard Crellin 7612543 HALFAYA SOLLUM WAR CEMETERY - 20. D. 2. Egypt

Somerville William Robert Halfaya Sollum Cemetry Plot 8 Row B Egypt

Mawer JOSEPH LLOYD DAYKIN 2929383 Halfaya Sollum War Cemetery Egypt

Muscatelli John James 319605 HALFAYA SOLLUM WAR CEMETERY Egypt

Barrett Alfred Bert T/129447 Halfaya Sollum War Cemetery - 6. B. 8 Egypt

Logan William 7893039 Halfaya Sollum War Cemetery - 6. F. 6. Egypt

Frapple William Kantara War Memorial Egypt

Jones Enoch 1034 Kantara War Memorial Egypt

Radnell Joseph Charles Kantara War Memorial Egypt

Frapple William 202066 KANTARA WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY Egypt

Leathers James Charles 240337 Kantara War Memorial Cemetery - F. 180. Egypt

Ross F R NA/123 Kantara War Memorial Cemetery - F. 24. Egypt

WILLIAMS TJ 741128 KANTARA WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY. D. 41. Egypt

Housman Erik Frederik Moascar Cemetery Egypt

Pople LESLIE 22695653 Moascar Cemetery EGYPT

WEBSTER HAROLD EDWIN 37328 - New Zealand Forces MOASCAR CEMETERY Egypt

Webster Harold Edwin 37328 Moascar Cemetery - Ref 1.B.17 Egypt

McLeod Gorden Moascar War Cemetary Egypt

Harris Denis Lyddon Moascar War Cemetery - 4. B. 11. Egypt

Lawman Roy Noel 3321912 TEL EL KEBIR WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY Egypt

Woodhouse 13064347 TEL EL KEBIR WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY Egypt

If you wanted anything from Sollum or Alamein and sent me an email I got it.

Remind me in three months when I get home.

As for the rest of requests I have been given, Hadra and Chatby by tomorrow. So if you want anything from:

Cairo

Aswan

Port Said

Kantara

Tel El Kebir

Ismailia

Moascar (maybe if I can get the militay pass)

Fayid

Suez (two cems)

You got days to EMAIL me. I re-state:

I want LAST NAME, FIRST NAME, CEMETERY and PLOT NUMBER

I've got too many requests without plot numbers that I decided no plot numbers, no pic. I sorted that previous lot, but after this like I said if you can't at least send me correct details (cut and paste from CWGC database will do). Sorry for being a ***** but I done about 100 plus requests already.

Did you get the photos you wanted? I am in Egypt and will try and help you if I can[. Cairo is easy as I work here,but going to Alex soon and I can add these to the list.

quote name=Tonym' date='Feb 9 2007, 09:03 PM' post='618783]

Ralph

Will be most grateful

Cheers, Tony

Didn't read your instructions correctly - email, on the way

Did you get the photos you wanted? I am in Egypt and will try and help you if I can[. Cairo is easy as I work here,but going to Alex soon and I can add these to the list.

Have received these three

ROBERTS, Margaret Staff Nurse Alexandria (Hadra) War Mem. Cem. B - 44

HAWLEY, Nellie Prob. Nurse Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cem. B -46

COOKE, E.K. Staff Nurse Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cem. B - 25

Not seen these yet

STEVENS, Lottie M. Staff Nurse Alexandria (Chatby) Mil & War Mem.Cem. Q -565

BUTLER, S. E. Sister Alexandria (Chatby) Mil. & War Mem.Cem. Q569

GROVER, Alice Jane Sister Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cem. C - 176

PARKER, Elizabeth Kelly Matron Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cem. B - 4

JOHNSTON, Margaret Staff Nurse Cairo War Memorial Cemetery, D84

PEPPER, Edith Dorothy Prob. Nurse Cairo War Memorial Cemetery, O - 145

REID, Annie Campbell Staff Nurse Cairo War Memorial Cemetery, Q - 281

TURTON, Alice Mary Staff Nurse Ismalia War Memorial Cemetery, A - 31

Cheers, Tony

Sollum, Alamein, Alex Hadra and Chatby are out. Off to Aswan tomorrow.

I see some people left requests late for pix in Hadra and Chatby. I'll do those very last ones and then I do have to leave. Cems close at 2:30 here. No more requests for Hadra or Chatby please.

A big, very public 'thank you' to Ralph for his efforts in helping meet our requests.

Thanks and have a great holiday!

Jonathan

Sollum, Alamein, Alex Hadra and Chatby are out. Off to Aswan tomorrow.

I see some people left requests late for pix in Hadra and Chatby. I'll do those very last ones and then I do have to leave. Cems close at 2:30 here. No more requests for Hadra or Chatby please.

I have mailed you but thought you deserved a

Public thanks to Ralph - above and beyond the call of duty.

Try and find time for a holiday mate :D

stevem

"A big, very public 'thank you' to Ralph for his efforts in helping meet our requests."

HEAR! HEAR!!

Kath.

Hi,

Are you going anywhere near to Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cemy? If you are would it be possible for a picture of the following -

Albe Seaman John Throup. Royal Navy. Died 09/01/1942. Grave 1.a.12.

I know that he is not a WW1 casualty, he is my mother-in-laws uncle and would dearly love a picture of his grave.

Thanks for reading this,

Nick

Hi,

Are you going anywhere near to Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cemy? If you are would it be possible for a picture of the following -

Albe Seaman John Throup. Royal Navy. Died 09/01/1942. Grave 1.a.12.

I know that he is not a WW1 casualty, he is my mother-in-laws uncle and would dearly love a picture of his grave.

Thanks for reading this,

Nick

If Ralph cant do it for you I will -just let me know

"A big, very public 'thank you' to Ralph for his efforts in helping meet our requests."

I think the best way we could show our appreciation to Ralph is to look at the outstanding requirements on the SAWGP website and if they are within reasonable distance, offer to to get the photos for him.

Ralph,

Just emailed you but just in-case anyone reading this already has this chap...

Name: OSTLER, WILLIAM CLIFFORD Cairo War Cemetery K131

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=2274329

If you still need this, I can do it for you. I was there today but didnt see your post till now!

Could I also jump on the bandwagon having seen this thread?

If so I would be very grateful for a picture of these men :

Cairo War Memorial Cemetery

Cpl Edward George Hollins Died 1-Feb-1917 plot F190

Pte Harry Thomas Died 26-May-1917 plot F250

And if anyone is visiting Alexandria (Chatby) Military Cemetery

Pte Francis Douglas Tuck Died 5-Oct-1915 plot D.76

Best Wishes

Richard

Could I also jump on the bandwagon having seen this thread?

If so I would be very grateful for a picture of these men :

Cairo War Memorial Cemetery

Cpl Edward George Hollins Died 1-Feb-1917 plot F190

Pte Harry Thomas Died 26-May-1917 plot F250

And if anyone is visiting Alexandria (Chatby) Military Cemetery

Pte Francis Douglas Tuck Died 5-Oct-1915 plot D.76

Best Wishes

Richard

Willingly, but you missed out yesterday as I just read this.Send me your email address and I will get them for you, when I next go.

Can I publicly say what a wonderful job the guys do at Cairo War Memorial CWGC . They will find the graves for you, make phone calls if they struugle to find them and having spent an hour with you they wont accept a tip (and that is very unusual here, as even the Police expect a tip when your car parks outside).Thanks Simon to your team.

Kirkes Lamb

I am supposed be hooking up with Mike Booker who works in Cairo. Maybe we can all get together for a bunch of beer. I'll be in Cairo only for a few days then off to Suez area cems. Still trying with much difficulty to get the Moascar cem pass.

I'm in Aswan which is shockingly expensive (I travel on the cheap) and will be staying in the talat Harb area in one of the backpacker flops when I get back. I'll be leaving on night train tonight and get into Cairo tomorrow morning.

emailme if you want to get together

ralph@southafricawargraves.org

Kirkes Lamb

I am supposed be hooking up with Mike Booker who works in Cairo. Maybe we can all get together for a bunch of beer. I'll be in Cairo only for a few days then off to Suez area cems. Still trying with much difficulty to get the Moascar cem pass.

I'm in Aswan which is shockingly expensive (I travel on the cheap) and will be staying in the talat Harb area in one of the backpacker flops when I get back. I'll be leaving on night train tonight and get into Cairo tomorrow morning.

emailme if you want to get together

ralph@southafricawargraves.org

He should have booked his travel through my company!! I'll buy him a beer and let him use my office email as compensation