Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is selling Somme Relics legal?

hillgorilla

Hi,

Have found relics from the Somme for sale on ebay, some of which are from Mametz Wood. There is a link which takes you to the sellers site, in which it mentions metal detecting.

I have been to the Somme a number of times, and are more than aware that relics are apparent when walking long the surface of the land, but is it right to sell them?

Do you mean morally right to sell them or legally right to sell them ?

if you take something of someones land with out permission is it not just plain theft?

if you take something of someones land with out permission is it not just plain theft?

I believe that I have read in this forum that there are rules against metal detecting in France.

not sure whether this is true or not but I asked a question about 2 French detectorists on Redan Ridge and was told that detecting in the Somme Region is illegal but not in the Pas-de-Calais so they are very careful where they detect.

Mick

Metal detecting on public land is illegal, so is digging on private land (ie Mametz Wood). But, if permission is given by the owner of the (private) land then that is different.

The old subject of relics never goes away and is one of the biggest forum faves:

Metal Detectors on France

The chap selling this stuff is the subject of another on going discussion on this forum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick D

I believe that I have read in this forum that there are rules against metal detecting in France.

Is metal detectoring very productive on a WW1 battlefield anyway? The amount of "useless" metal (shell shards , etc) lying about must be so phenominal that they must be going off constantly!

Only ever detected on one battlefield (Oosterbeek) and, though a few significant finds were made, the majority was just "junk"- and that's a far less concentrated battlefield than most WW1 ones!

Dave

Metal detectng is utterly, totally and completely illegal on every battlefield in France.

Forget this nonsense about it's OK here and not there. Surprisingly, perhaps laws apply right across the country in France (and most other countries save the USA).

Anyone even caught with a detector in their car can look forward to a fine of up to 10,000 €. The court at Verdun hands down the maximum penalty several times a year.

Of course, if you don't want to pay a fine you can always dig up a nice big shell and throw it in the back of our car.

So, if I owned a piece of land in France, and a metal detector, it would be illegal for me to a, possess the metal detector and b, to use it on my own land?

Any reliable source for that information?

:blink:

Inprinciple all battlefield sites are protectd unless the Prefet, etc decide otherwise. You need a permit to start digging up even your own land in an archaeological dig.

You need a permit also in the UK.

interesting then that its so common on Redan Ridge in full view, no attempt to hide the fact during the day. some contradictory comments, illegal on every battlefield in france? the whole of France was a battle ground. Can dig on private land? I don't think anyone here really knows. best keep well from metal detectors....the first question i was asked before my car was taken apart by those nice men in boiler suits and funny hats was 'do you have a metal detector?' maybe they were just making polite conversation but i dont think so.

Mick

can't wait to start landscaping my garden, will start with a few very deep pits.

Mick

The whole thing is sketchy I have detected with and without permission over 30 odd years in the UK and F&F.

I have always done it in France in the open in daylight, and have been approached by police in Normandy on a couple of occasions. Once they wished me luck and once they asked me nicely to move on. I have not detected for about 10 years now on the western front. Field walking is almost as productive, a large ammount of ferrous metal comes up anyway. I don't do it now as I have moral issues of my own to justify it, besides I am too old to jump fences, hedges and lay flat in ditches at night now, especially without the night vision headset!

These days I only do owner permission sites in the UK and work within the law together with local archeological societies etc. There is a code to follow detecting..........

RD

Hello

It's illegal everywhere to use a detector, not only on a battlefield. Even in your private land you are not allowed to dig if there are archeological artifacts. But it's difficult to prevent such a practice. You could write a mail to the Direction Régionale des Affaires Culturelles de Picardie (drac.picardie@culture.gouv.fr) with the name of the seller but I'm not sure that it will change something...

Best regards

See the "New Shop on the Somme" thread on CHIT-CHAT section where this issue is currently being debated. SG

parked at quarry cemty, near montauban, a while ago, brit registered car there as well. Two figures on the skyline, spotted me then there were none!

I went for a mooch up a farm track, to get some pics, leaving my son in the car, when i got back he said two guys, very very muddy had just come off the field, ..........with detectors!

shame he didnt get their car reg

yes they were the days. 3am to 5am on a foggy morn.

Mick

shame he didnt get their car reg

Read this thread carefully and you may be able to get names as well Willy !

Roland. :)

I have been to the Somme a number of times, and are more than aware that relics are apparent when walking long the surface of the land, but is it right to sell them?

Just to actually answer the question that was being asked - unless it's dangerous (ie explosive) or breaks some law in the land in which it's being sold, then no, there is nothing legally wrong with selling such relics. Morally wrong is a different matter, but personally, it doesn't bother me though there are people who get quite fired up by this subject for some reason.

Dave

Be carefull though, wouldn't want any slander charges!

Mick

Can't see where?

Dave

Metal detectng is utterly, totally and completely illegal on every battlefield in France.

Forget this nonsense about it's OK here and not there. Surprisingly, perhaps laws apply right across the country in France (and most other countries save the USA).

Anyone even caught with a detector in their car can look forward to a fine of up to 10,000 €. The court at Verdun hands down the maximum penalty several times a year.

Of course, if you don't want to pay a fine you can always dig up a nice big shell and throw it in the back of our car.

Not sure if this is corect either! I also see many people useing them quite openly in France and they are always locals. I would of thought that they would know the law. The Diggers use them openly here in Belgium and my neighbour uses one on his land openly! It sounds to me, as if the law is as open to interpretation as ever! :huh: