Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prize Money

John Burnett

One of the men I am researching had prize money paid to his next of kin about 5 years after he was killed in action. What was "prize money" during WW1?

bounty for sinking another ship ? Navy not my strongest subject !

Hello

If you can give me a few specifics, name, ship, etc. I may be able to track this backwards. Prize money awards are noted in the NAVY LISTs.

All best

don

As Coldstreamer alluded to, Prize Money was awarded for sinking or capturing an enemy ship. There was a Prize Court that issued these awards postwar (1919/1920 or so) though some of the sinking attributions, especially for U-boats, are now regarded as suspect or even incorrect depending upon the case. It should be pretty easy to track done what te award was for if we knew what ships your man served on and when.

Best wishes,

Michael

John,

Prize money is a reward paid to a ships crew for the capture or sinking of an enemy ship. The Royal Navy formed a “Naval Prize Fund” during the great war and all the prizes (with some exceptions) where lumped together and issued at the rate of 50/- a share to eligible personnel between 1920 and 1926.

Regards Charles

This Gazette edition is worth a look if only to see the sheer quanity of enemy shipping that was seized at the outbreak of war as prizes

Chris

Typing prize court into the Gazette search engine brings up a few results (89)

Chris

Many thanks for all the information. You have given me the information I wanted.

Although Scottish, I was not checking up to ensure my man got all the prize money he was due down to the last bawbee!

However, might be worth a thought.

I think prize money was for capturing ships rather than sinking them. Ships were worth money and in earlier years the crews of the ships taking the prize got a share of the ships value. I think this practice stopped and the prize money was shared out between all eligible servicemen in WW1.

I have a copy of my ex wife's grandfather's service papers and the WW1 one (he also served in WW11) has three lines at the end of the second page which read;

1 Aug 1919 - War Gratuity paid

9-4-21 paid £1-5s-0d Naval Prize Fund

17/7/22 Final share of Naval Prize fund paid

Doug

Hello all,

Was share of prize money based on rank in WW1, or was it an equal share?

Only ask as recently visited the Victory at Portsmouth. High ranking officers approx £3000, lower ranking Seaman £6.

Regards

Peter

Peter,

During the Great War this was the distribution of shares;

First Class.-Captain in Command. 80 Shares

Second Class.-Captain not in Command, and Officers of equivalent Rank, and Commander in Command or serving as Second in Command in a Ship commanded by a Captain. 40 Shares

Third Class.- Commander not in Command, and Officers of equivalent Rank, and Lieutenant-Commander in Command, or serving as Second in Command in a Ship commanded by a Captain. 30 Shares

Fourth Class.- Lieutenant-Commander not in Command, and Officers of equivalent Rank, and Lieutenant in Command, or serving as Second in Command in a Ship commanded by a Captain. 25 Shares

Fifth Class.- Lieutenant not in Command, and Officers of equivalent Rank, and Sub-Lieutenant, Mate, or Commissioned Warrant Officer, in Command. 20 Shares

Sixth Class.-Sub-Lieutenant not. In Command, Mate, Commissioned Warrant Officer, and Officers of equivalent Rank, Warrant Officer, R.N., or R.N.R., in Command. 15 Shares

Seventh Class.-Warrant Officer, R.N., and equivalent Ranks, and Royal Marine Gunner. 12 Shares

Eighth Class – Midshipman, Clerk, Chief Petty Officer, Warrant Officer of Marines, Staff and Colour Sergeant of Marines, and equivalent Ranks and Ratings. 10 Shares

Ninth Class.-Naval Cadet, Assistant Clerk, Petty Officer, Petty Officer 1st Class (O.S.), Sergeant of Marines, and equivalent Ranks and Ratings. 8 Shares

Tenth Class.-Petty Officer 2nd Class (O.S.), Leading Seaman, Corporal and Bombardier of Marines, and equivalent Ranks and Ratings. 6 Shares

Eleventh Class. – Able Seaman, Private Gunner and Bugler of Marines (after training), Second Head Krooman, Second Tindal, and equivalent Ranks and Ratings. 5 Share

Twelfth Class.-Ordinary Seaman, Private, Gunner and Bugler of Marines (before completion of training), and equivalent Ranks and Ratings; Native Seamen and Stokers. 3 Shares

Thirteenth Class.-Supernumeraries (except as provided in paragraph 6) and Canteen Attendants. 2 Shares

Fourteenth Class – Boys. 1 Share

Regards Charles

Hello

Just to show an example of prize bounties, for the Battle of the Heligoland Bight, the following ships were awarded

LION, INVINCIBLE, PRINCESS ROYAL, QUEEN MARY, NEW ZEALAND, SOUTHAMPTON, BIRMINGHAM, NOTTINGHAM, LOWESTOFT, FALMOUTH, LIVERPOOL, ARETHUSA, EURYALUS, BACCHANTE, CRESSY, HOGUE, ABOUKIR, AMETHYST, LURCHER, FIREDRAKE, PHOENIX, LANCE, JACKAL, DEFENDER, LANDRAIL, LAWFORD, LIZARD, BADGER, LINNET, FEARLESS, LUCIFER, LARK, LYDIARD, LYSANDER, LEGION, LAUREL, LOOKOUT, LIBERTY, LLEWELLYN, LENNOX, LAFOREY, HIND, BEAVER, LAPWING, DRUID, FORESTER, SANDFLY, FERRET, ARIEL, ATTACK, ACHERON, ARCHER, GOSHAWK, LOUIS, LAERTES, LEONIDAS, D 2, D 9, E 4, E 5, E 6, E 7, E 8, and E 9.

Date of distribution was 5 November 1917.

All best

don

Hello

Just to show an example of prize bounties, for the Battle of the Heligoland Bight, the following ships were awarded

LION, INVINCIBLE, PRINCESS ROYAL, QUEEN MARY, NEW ZEALAND, SOUTHAMPTON, BIRMINGHAM, NOTTINGHAM, LOWESTOFT, FALMOUTH, LIVERPOOL, ARETHUSA, EURYALUS, BACCHANTE, CRESSY, HOGUE, ABOUKIR, AMETHYST, LURCHER, FIREDRAKE, PHOENIX, LANCE, JACKAL, DEFENDER, LANDRAIL, LAWFORD, LIZARD, BADGER, LINNET, FEARLESS, LUCIFER, LARK, LYDIARD, LYSANDER, LEGION, LAUREL, LOOKOUT, LIBERTY, LLEWELLYN, LENNOX, LAFOREY, HIND, BEAVER, LAPWING, DRUID, FORESTER, SANDFLY, FERRET, ARIEL, ATTACK, ACHERON, ARCHER, GOSHAWK, LOUIS, LAERTES, LEONIDAS, D 2, D 9, E 4, E 5, E 6, E 7, E 8, and E 9.

Date of distribution was 5 November 1917.

All best

don

Perhaps this was a payment of Head Money rather than Prize Money.

In WW1 all Prize Money was paid into a Naval Prize Fund and distributed in bulk in 1919 (an Admiral received four thousand pounds and an AB received twenty-five pounds).

Interesting list of Jutland ships awarded bounty but apparently not an exhaustive list.

My grandfather was on HMS Blanche although she didn't fire a shot during the battle.

His records show the following:-

Paid £12-10-0 Naval Prize Fund in VictoryI

23 May 21 Paid 3/1 Jutland Prize Bounty

19 Dec 23 Paid supplementary share Naval Prize Fund.

Thought somebody might be interested as it adds to the sort of sums awarded.

Nigel

• 4 months later...

Yes, Ive seen mention in the service paper of a Q ship sailor. Wasnt much though seeing they got themselves a submarine. gareth

Yes, and on the service record cards of Royal Naval Reserve ratings the amount they received is recorded.