Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2410 Cpl Ernest Serls, 44 Btn AIF

Michelle Young

• Admin

Thank you Andrew- I spoke to my Nan yesterday, she was very interested in all the news. She has a photo of her Auntie Polly and Uncle Joe- Ernests parents which she is going to dig out. Will be interesting to look for a family resemblance.

Can you and Tim please PM me any addresses you have for Mr Shaw and the Serls relatives please? I'd like to drop them a line to say thank you.

Many Many thanks, Michelle

Thank you Andrew- I spoke to my Nan yesterday, she was very interested in all the news. She has a photo of her Auntie Polly and Uncle Joe- Ernests parents which she is going to dig out. Will be interesting to look for a family resemblance.

Can you and Tim please PM me any addresses you have for Mr Shaw and the Serls relatives please? I'd like to drop them a line to say thank you.

Many Many thanks, Michelle

Hi Michelle

Photos have been sent as well as Mr Shaw's address.

Cheers

Andrew

Great job everyone.......

Michelle are you able to post a copy of the photo here for us all to see.

Another successful result from the combined efforts of this forum.

Tim L.

P.S. Michelle, I'll email Ernest Serls address tonight.

Hi Tim

I've tried to e-mail the 6 photos to you this morning but the e-mail bounced so I think the photos may be too large. I'll have to send them individually.

Cheers

Andrew

• Admin

Andrew and Tim

I am eternally in your debt, thank you so much for sending me the photos. Finally I know what he was like. Andrew has also scanned a photo of his original grave, there are letters from Ernests father in his service papers asking for 8 copies of photos of his grave, this is obviously one of them.

Please if I can repay your kindness in any way in getting photos, let me know.

As the photos are the property or Mr Shaw, I had better not post them here until I have permission, perhaps Andrew could ask when he returns them? I'll be writing to Mr Shaw to thank him for letting me see the photos.

Michelle

Andrew was up to speed with this before me :)

I was talking to him on the telephone about it at the weekend ... it never ceases to amaze me of what can be achieved when we all get together :)

Having said that ... if ever anyone wants any information etc from this wonderful you beaut best state in Australia :rolleyes: please dont hesitate to contact me as I only to willing to help where I can.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Thanks Andrew,

Received the photos individually. (Don't know what's happening with my email address but have had some probs with larger emails recently)

Tim L.

Congratulations Tim & Drew - you guys make a great team.

I wonder if Michelle would like a photo of the pair of you beside Ernest's grave!!

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Ernies grave on Sunday last with the wreath and photo I laid

post-230-1171570159.jpg

That's great to see Michelle. An image of the soldier alongside his headstone always makes me stop and think.

If I were given the choice, I would incorporate as many photos into the headstones wherever one is available. It's far too easy for people today to forget that each of these small white stones represents a person and a life lost.

Andrew and I will be visiting Tyne Cot later in the year and will pay a visit to Ernie as well.

Tim L.

• 1 year later...
  • Admin

Remembering today Corporal Ernest William Serls, 13 Platoon, D Company 44th Btn AIF. Killed in action delivering a message to B Company, near hill 40, Zonnebeke. Son of Joseph and Lydia Mary Serls, of Armadale, WA. Buried in Tyne Cot Cemetery.

post-230-1223109377.jpg

Good to be reminded about Ernie. Thanks Michelle.

Hard to believe that it's over a year since our visit with him.

Hope it's not too long before I can say hi again.

Will raise my glass to you tonight mate - sorry it's a day late.

Cheers

post-4363-1223188791.jpg

Ernie's far from being forgotten amongst those of us who have come to know him so well.

He'll always be remembered.

Cheers,

Tim L.

• 5 years later...

Remembering Ernie :poppy:

Michelle - this is the photo I took in July - I don't remember if I told you, but I was actually quite emotional when I told him that it may well be the last time I visit him - over the years he's become my family too!

post-4363-0-88114700-1412409403_thumb.jp

• Admin

Thank you Frev, I recall you saying that. We visited Ernie last month and I think a friend who lives locally was going to try to visit him today.

Michelle

Rest easy Cobber always remembered :poppy:

• Admin

Keith, Ernie was from your neck of the woods.

Michelle

Hi Michelle, I think you gave me Ernest's details once before but i have lost them, I read a little while ago that one of the Shire Councillors is gathering details of local lads and lassies who went of to fight from the local area in the aim of writing a book about them, if can can find out who it is i'll try to get in contact with him. Can give me his details again and i will if i have your permission pass them on to him if he doesn't have anything about Ernest, also if he is a local he should be on the Armadale War Memorial, when i get a free moment i'll pop down and have a gander and if he is on it i'll get a few photo's a send you if you'd like, Best regards Keith.

Hi Michelle back again i don't know if you have ever viewed the sit 'Mapping our Anzac's' on the web i have just had a peep in there and searched the surname Serls and there is a fair bit of info and photo's of Ernest there, Keith

• Admin

Hi Keith

It was me who put the stuff on Mapping Our Anzacs! Yes he is on the Armadale war memorial. He lived in a house called Hillside, I don't know if it still there. Thanks Barry, I'd appreciate it if you could say G'Day to him!

Michelle

• Admin

Thank you Barry, the cross already there was most likely rhe one I left a couple of weeks ago.

Michelle

This is a long shot.....

Whilst investigating the backgrounds of the men on a local war memorial at Bray, nr Maidenhead, we came across the name Pte E.W.Serle, A.I.F.

I could not find anyone who served with the AIF with that combination of initials and name.

The nearest I could find was your man L/Cpl E.W. Serls, so I put it down to a typo on the memorial ( Not unique on this particular memorial)

So the question is...does anyone know of a possible link with Bray, near Maidenhead Berkshire?

post-106731-0-61729700-1412511626_thumb.