Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wound Stripes.

Simon R

I need no apology as far as I can see all that's happened is a simple, enlightened and interesting discussion which gives me a key into understanding wound stripes.

Digressions can be wonderful - they can show real intellectual flair and demonstrate wider general knowledge. Failing that, they show someone actually thinking about the subject even if they're completely off tangent.

The help I've had here shows: that my relative doesn't have any in the photo I have of him and (from another thread), served 2 years in the army before being invalided out.

I belong to a generation, probably two removed from the previous correspondents, that still believes in good manners. My apology whether rejected/ derided or not arose from that belief. It is extremely disappointing to find that my opinion that the present-day youth were not as unmannerly, as often declared by my contemporaries, seems to be wrong.

Jim Gordon

Note - I also sign my name to a communication.

I belong to a generation, probably two removed from the previous correspondents, that still believes in good manners.

By which we gather that you are some 40 or so years older than me? Makes you well over a hundred.

As to manners, it is the custom on this site to use either a handle like 'langleybaston1418', or a name. To use both is probably unnecessary, but, if it makes you happier, I shall append my full name below as a concession to extreme age.

Finally, if you really want a full-blown dispute, would you please have it with some-one else, and preferably on another site? I would rather stick to the central purpose of our study, rather than exchange increasingly acrimonious notes in which no other person would have the slightest interest. On that matter, might it not be better if we closed this correspondence down? How about you having the last word, preferably with a touch of humour, and then we both find something better to do?

Mr David Edward Langley

• 6 years later...

As mentioned in a previous thread on the same subject, red wounding stripes were worn by Civil Defence Services in WW2, in respect of those awarded in the earlier war.

Peter

• 5 months later...

Sorry to up this topic again but i got a wound stripe but i was wondering if some here could tell something more about it

badgewound1.jpg

badgewound2.jpg

badgewound3.jpg