Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wound Stripes.

Simon R

Simon....

post-23-1069621347.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd resurrect this thread as I've just seen photo's of CSM Skinner VC of 1/KOSB with eight wound stripes! Anyone seen more?

Roger.

I thought I'd resurrect this thread as I've just seen photo's of CSM Skinner VC of 1/KOSB with eight wound stripes! Anyone seen more?

Roger.

Roger.............Any chance of posting one of these photo's..............just interested to see how he managed to fit eight wound stripes on his uniform

Will,

I don't know if I'm allowed to do this or if it's a breech of copyright but the pictures are from VC's of the First World War. Passchendaele 1917 by stephen Snelling.

Here goes anyway.

post-23-1072079489.jpg

The chap on the left of the previous picture is Skinner and the one on the right with clearly visible wound stripes is, I think his mate Sgt. Bell with whom he had a bet who would get a ninth wound!

Here's another one.

post-23-1072079733.jpg

May I ask if anyone knows the significance of the No. 4 on the backing plate? All Wound Stripes I have seen seem to be No. 4. Were there Nos 1, 2 and 3 versions ?

Regards

Jim Gordon

I don't know of any significance at all. I've also got a No.2 stripe and it's identical to my No.4 illustrated. I'd assume that No's1 and 3 also existed. Maybe it's something to do with manufacturer or date?

Dave.

...and just to put more coals onto the fire, I've just had a look at the stripes that are attached to one of my tunics. They've both got totally blank backing plates. :huh:

Dave.

What was the criteria for receiving a wound stripe? Did you have to reach a RAP. or a Field Ambulance, or a CCS, or a Hospital? What about if you remained at duty?

Did it have to be recorded in your service record?

Or could you just stick one on if you felt you were sufficiently wounded. I'm not suggesting the men in the photos did this.

Puzzled Pete

Will,

I don't know if I'm allowed to do this or if it's a breech of copyright but the pictures are from VC's of the First World War. Passchendaele 1917 by stephen Snelling.

Here goes anyway.

Many thanks Roger....................... & don't worry I clearly incited you to do it :P

I thought I'd show this photo of my grandfather & a couple of his mates taken in late 1916, you can just about make out the wound stripe on his lower left arm.

(He is the one on the left with the moustache).

Kilty.

post-23-1072129174.jpg

Pete

Definitely there was no award for Wounded Remained at Duty. I have always thought (not proof I know) that the criterion was an award was made if the recipient of the wound was removed from active participation in the hostilities.

Regards

Jim Gordon

Would you get one if gassed? Are there any 'special' dress ingsignia to denote this particular affliction?

Criterion is a wounded badge for each occasion wounded [not each wound]. Gas counted as a wound. As "wounded at duty" was officially recorded, I am inclined to think that it did indeed qualify for the award. I wonder, please, Jim Gordon, how you definitely know the converse? The various AOs do not clarify this latter.

Wounds were most definitely on service record.

langleybaston 1418

You are quite correct that the AOs do not clarify this matter. I have them before meas I type and they are vague upon the whole issue etc. of Wound Stripes. How am I so certain ? Well the truth is that I am not so certain now. I cannot remember with any certainty where I read this but I have a feeling it was in a reply I got when I asked on the "original forum" a few years ago what "Wounded at Duty" referred to in a War Diary. Then again it may have been in the Scots At War Forum now a flickering ember of what it used to be. I just cannot be sure, therefore, I will retire to my customary position of head well below the parapet !

Regards

Jim Gordon

langleybaston 1418

Hold everything. I am back to peeping above the parapet. I have just uncovered my source for my statement re Wounded at Duty. It was in a letter I received from the Imperial War Museum in 1993 and I attach it to this posting. Incidentally the question of duration of service a blue chevron indicated is also dealt with in this letter.

Wound_Stripes.doc

langleybaston 1418

Hold everything. I am back to peeping above the parapet. I have just uncovered my source for my statement re Wounded at Duty. It was in a letter I received from the Imperial War Museum in 1993 and I attach it to this posting. Incidentally the question of duration of service a blue chevron indicated is also dealt with in this letter.

Regards

Jim Gordon

Wound_Stripes.doc

Hello All

My Dad was awarded two Wound Stripes in WW2. It mentions in his Service Record that he was Wounded twice in Action, as well as in the "Testimonial Reference" from his CO prior to Discharge in 1946..

Merry Christmas, Stuart

post-23-1072244729.jpg

Hold everything. I am back to peeping above the parapet. I have just uncovered my source for my statement re Wounded at Duty.

Jim, thank you: IWM quotation certainly counts as evidence. I do, however, remain a little dubious about the general applicability, and will explain why. A CO would much rather have a wounded hero 'hang on in there' under the care of the RMO just so long as he could march and fire a weapon. So we have the potential slacker, glad of a flesh wound, hurtling to the rear, and rewarded with a badge, contrasting with the hero, covered in bloody bandages, with only a scar to show for it. Now, if you were CO, which sort would you wish to reward? But you have proved your point and I thank you.

May I take the opportunity to point out that I was not indulging in point scoring but merely posting what I thought was useful comment to the thread on Wound Stripes. I appreciate that it appears to have proved to be just that.

As to whether I, as a hypothetical Battalion CO, would prefer "wounded heroes" etc. - I don't wish to make any comment as I am not qualified to make any. It is not for me to analyse or pass judgement on COs' or the conduct of the men they commanded. Such judgements can only be subjective and are probably both useless and highly presumptuous.

However, I must say that a man could not just get up and leave the Line as the whim took him. A not-so-friendly Field Court Martial awaited him and an even less friendlier appointment with the Firing Squad. That is fact not opinion.

I hope you will join with me in apologising to the originator of this thread for this digression from it.

Trusting that you and Family had, and are still enjoying, a Happy Festive Season.

Regards

Jim Gordon

I hope you will join with me in apologising to the originator of this thread for this digression from it.

Peace be with you at this Christmastide.

As for apologising to the originator of the thread, I hadn't considered it!

I and the Pals learn a great deal from such little digressions, as witness your IWM correspondence. Were there no digressions, a thread would often be:

1. Question

2. Answer

3. Thanks [if lucky].

No, I am totally unrepentant.