Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British tanks after Cambrai 1917

Cnock

C 53, Coquette II, sommanded by 2/Lt S H Dean, was abandoned at the SE corner of Bourlon Wood, almost on the Cambrai road. It had reached its objective, but had trouble with its dynamo and couldn't be restarted. As if they didn't have enough problems!

Puzzled female why were tanks male or female? Does a female not have a gun and a male carried troops?

Hello Cnock,

very nice pictures,

also thanks to all the others for the detailed info...very interesting!

@ hudson,

the 'male' tanks had 6 pounder-shipguns in its turrets,

and the 'female' tanks had 4 Vickers-machineguns.

In attachement photo 'cambrai 1917';

anyone any idea?

regards nolf

post-10532-1165684457.jpg

Nolf,

I can't say definatively but your photo is probably Cambrai railway station. I visited the station yard during a recent visit to the Cambrai battlefield and it's largely unchanged. Unfortunately, your photo is taken from the side where the distinctive good shed should be, so its hard to find a definate land mark for modern comparison.

When I was there Philippe Gorczynski was dropping us off at the railway station and he started talking to a couple of railwaymen in the yard. They showed us round the back of the old goods shed where there is still a large amount of German writing carved into the brickwork. Most dates from WW2 but some is from WW1.

I've attached a photo of the tank ramp that is still standing in the yard. The rail on the top has the date cast in it (it's 1917 I think).

Keep sending in the Cambrai tank photo's. They're fascinating and new ones keep turning up.

Regards,

Ian.

post-12148-1165690830.jpg

Hello Ian,

wow, amazing info! indeed, if you look closely at my pic i believe you see the tank ramp as shown in your photo... do you have a photo of the writing on the ramp or in the shed perhaps? i'd love to see it :)

i totally agree, it's a very nice thread Cnock started, and there are photo's i've never seen before too...

regards,

wouter

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the posting of the pics and the interesting info!

Regards,

Cnock

Hello again,

I only took one photo of the writing and that was from WW1 (see below). However, the majority was from WW2. As you can see the words are carved into the brick and should survive as long as the shed does. When I visit again I'll take some more shots.

I've also attached a picture of the Goods shed - the writing is on the other side of it. There is at least one picture of a captured tank (B8 BANSHEE) loaded onto a wagon with this shed in the background.

Thanks once again for posting the pictures, they're always interesting.

Regards,

Ian.

post-12148-1165697783.jpg

post-12148-1165697796.jpg

Thanks a lot for the photos Ian,

really astonishing...

hope the shed lasts another decade or so...

Regards,

wouter

hello again,

here i am with another cambrai caption.

here it's a mark IV named "Hyacinth" so it's one of the same battalion as Cnock posted in post 14.

photographed on 20th november '17 , at the battle of Cambrai that got stuck in a trench near Ribecourt-la-tour.

regards,

wouter

post-10532-1165775062.jpg

Thanks for those fascinating photos, Cnock, and well done on the detective front, Nolf and Ian. Another nice little place to add to the Cambrai tank trail.

Graham-McAdam,

Glad to hear You liked the pics, also thanks to Ian and Nolf.

Regards,

Cnock

• 2 months later...

Dear Cnock, I wonder if you have any photgraphs of Tank B28 in your collection? My wife's great uncle, who was called Sjt., Frederick William Bailey, served in B28 and died on 23rd Nov 1917, in Fontaine. We have seen reference to a number of photos of this tank but haven't come across one clear example ourselves yet. Apparently, the tank has been photographed in the village street with a number of German soldiers looking on. Any help (especially picutures) would be very gratefully received. Thanks. Geoff and Barbara Turner.

British destroyed 'female' tank in unknown village

Cnock, this looks like C47 in Fontaine if you're quick you can see this on ebay (tank Fontaine). This was the tank which earned a couple of tank commanders a MC each. Apparently, tank C48 rescued the crew of C47 and the whole lot (16 men) made their escape - just. Cheers, Geoff

Geoff,

I know that there are different pictures of tank B28 at Fontaine, but I haven't seen others than the ones that appeared in books and magazines.

Regards,

Cnock

hudson said:
Puzzled female why were tanks male or female? Does a female not have a gun and a male carried troops?

This thread will help - its all to do with the armament

Stephen :)

• 13 years later...
On 19/02/2007 at 21:53, glturner said:

Dear Cnock, I wonder if you have any photgraphs of Tank B28 in your collection? My wife's great uncle, who was called Sjt., Frederick William Bailey, served in B28 and died on 23rd Nov 1917, in Fontaine. We have seen reference to a number of photos of this tank but haven't come across one clear example ourselves yet. Apparently, the tank has been photographed in the village street with a number of German soldiers looking on. Any help (especially picutures) would be very gratefully received. Thanks. Geoff and Barbara Turner.

Please find here under pics of B 28 detroyed end captured in Fontaines les Cambrai ( Or Fontaines notre Dame now)

Best regards

Bernard

TAnk Black Arrow détruit à Fontaine les Cambrai 1917.jpg

Black Arrow Fontaine les Cambrai.jpg

Tank Anglais Black Arrow Détruit à Fontaine les Cambrai.jpg

Tank Anglais FOntaine notre dame.jpg

Tank Black Arrow B 28 in Fontaines les Cambrai.JPG

• 1 year later...
On 04/12/2006 at 09:40, Cnock said:

Ditched female tank, near Bourlon.

Number tank starts with I2...

post-7723-1165221647.jpg