Cnock

Ditched female tank, near Bourlon.

Number tank starts with I2...

post-7723-1165221647.jpg

British destroyed 'female' tank in unknown village

post-7723-1165222076.jpg

Near Cambrai,

Germans inspecting captured tanks.

20 British Mark IV tanks were re-utilized by the Germans.

They formed Stukas ((Sturmpanzer Kraftwagen Abteilung) nrs.4,5,6 and 7

post-7723-1165222266.jpg

Captured British tanks were sent to Charleroi (Belgium) to be rearmed and repaired.

Othere were repaiered directly behind the front, for example at Fontaine.

The British tanks were re-equipped with 5,7 cm Sokol guns and Maxim 08.

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1165222462.jpg

Sorry to disagree but I believe that your second post is actually a Mark II knocked at Arras

Sorry to disagree but I believe that your second post is actually a Mark II knocked at Arras

Indeed, it's a tank knocked out at Bullecourt on 11th April 1917.

Paul and Delta,

You are right, the second tank was knocked out at Arras.

This tank has been photohraphed alot, I have even seen a caption 'Kemmel 1918'.

I blame the original German maker of his photo album, who put all the pics of tanks under 'Cambrai'.

Thanks,

Cnock

My picture says tank no 799 (not that i can tell who who crewed it)

F13 was abandoned here at the SE edge of Bourlon village. Just behind her was F4 - Flirt II - the tank which eventually returned to Bovington and was then renovated in Lincoln, and can still be seen in the Museum of Lincolnshire Life.

The scene "near Fontaine" shows H46 Hyaena, C53 Coquette II and H48 Hypathia. All knocked out on23rd November.

Could 349 be H47, also destroyed in Fontaine?

F30's name was "Flaming Fire II". The other tank with it is probably F27 "Fighting Mac II"

Over to you for the others

Graham -McAdam,

Thanks for the additional info.

post-7723-1165229761.jpg

My picture says tank no 799 (not that i can tell who who crewed it)

Pretty sure this the tank commanded by 2/Lt Davies, sections of which are now on display in Jean Letaille's museum in Bullecourt.

Name: DAVIES, HAROLD PERCIVAL

Initials: H P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

Secondary Unit Text: attd. "D" Bn. Tanks.

Date of Death: 11/04/1917

Additional information: Son of David and Sarah Davies, of 100, College St., Ammanford, Carmarthenshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 10.

Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Paul

Thanx for the info

Stephen

PS I love this site - it's the best arounf and that because of the membership

Graham Keech's book on Bullecourt provide some useful info on No 799; it compates the war diary of 11 Company of D Battalion (who provides the tanks) with that of Bean. Both agree that the tank was "taken out" by artillery fire; Bean states that 799 veered to the east from its intentded couirse and crosse dthe german wire in fornt of Balcony trench about half a mile NW of Quent. It passed ver the first German trench but way put out of actionas it is made its way frtowards the second. A diagram from the war diary appears to show that its reached its final objective at Headecourt before returning towards its own lines.

Stating the obvious but the tank in Post #5 carries the Ace of Spades, and was therefore probably one allocated to the 12th (Eastern) Division in the south.

Steve.

Interesting to see the traction engine in post 16 - by the lack of a belly tank, and the large amount of unused space there, I suspect that she is a requisitioned Fowler ploughing engine with the cable drum removed.

Back to WW1 proper - anyone any photos of tanks H21-H32 at Cambrai? Now they I would be REALLY (as opposed to only very) interested in!

Adrian

This is a well-documented situation - The tank is FW1 - unnamed - commanded by 2/Lt C W Carles. After a long day's action on November 20th around Rumilly, they ended up bursting into flames against Caron Farm (on the west side of the main road). Carles and his men captured three Germans in the stables, but were by now surrounded and had to surrender. He received the MC

Captured British tanks were sometimes armed with German anti-tank rifles as well, located in the position of the forward firing Lewis gun.

Robert