Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BOOK

WhiteWolf

Hi Pals

Question

I/You/We need to buy just 1 book that covers The Great War.

Which would it be

Andy B)

Remember just 1

NONE ! its impossible to cover such a subject in 1 book.

NONE ! its impossible to cover such a subject in 1 book.

Yeah but if you were recommending a book for a newbie to the whole Great War experience what would it be?

come on you must have one.

Andy

the awkward one

Andy

Martin Gilbert's 1994 effort First World War is a pretty fair attempt to compress the whole conflict into one book. It has its drawbacks, and there are some aspects that various people will believe deserve greater or lesser detail, but he does get the main story across.

Cheers

Gareth

Hew Strachan is writing a series of I think 3 books. The first volume, "WWI To Arms" is the most intellectually rigorous treatment I have come across. He provides context, points out common misrepresentations (such as the action of German volunteers at Ypres in 1914), looks at why as much as what and how. Gets his facts right. The final work published as a single (fat) volume would be definitive.

My only criticism would be that the first volume gives more attention to socioeconomic aspects than purely military aspects. Yet even here I found a more considered treatment of the action of my grandfather's division (42nd) on the Suez Canal than I have found elsewhere.

Recommending just one book would be pointless, how would you get a balanced in depth view?

Mick

Recommending just one book would be pointless, how would you get a balanced in depth view?

Mick

I have many many books relating in some way to WW1 but still buy every new book thats published because its never enough. I don't even think I could give you the top 10.

Mick

Martin Middlebrook's "First Day on the Somme" gave me a most enjoyable and informative introduction to the whole subject, and fired my interest to greater depths.

Unhesitatingly recommended.

Yeah but if you were recommending a book for a newbie to the whole Great War experience what would it be?

come on you must have one.

Andy

the awkward one

For a newbie,then I would suggest The First World War by John Keegan,that should certainly start a life long interest,the problem then starts,you can never have enough knowledge,the Great War was just too big to be covered by fifty books.Ask the members of the Forum how many books they each have,and still keep on buying.

regards

Joan

For a newbie that doesn't want to be tied down with text, and would like some good and relevant photographs, plus still have a good text there to fall back on, I really don't think you can do better currently than Peter Barton's 'Battlefields of the First World War'. You can get it on Amazon and if you buy it via the Amazon links on this site, it will help support the forum.

Lyn Macdonald's "Voices and Images of the Great War" is another good, easy to read and well illustrated introduction to the war.

Dave

Andy

All you would hope to do with one book is tempt the reader into reading more. The key here is knowing the person and thinking what might tempt them.

You know this mythical person and I don't. So your call from Middlebrooke's "First Day on the Somme", MacDonald's "Voices and Images...." or Holmes' "Tommy". Pick the right one and it'll grab them.

John

1914-1918 David Stevenson. The whole war, causes, events, consequences in one volume. Exceptional.

Jon B)

The First World War by AJP Taylor. Provocative and interesting photographs and captions.

Covenants of Death................... pictures say more than words can ever do !

History is a matter of changing ideas, information and interpretation.

You cant change the realities of the pictues in this book...they stay as a testament for all time.

I'm reading Lucy's 'There's a Devil in the Drum'

I suppose it depends on what perspective you're looking for too. Not to mention the period...

Tickled to Death to Go - the memoirs of Trooper Ben Clouting, 4th Dragoon Guards and Old Contemptible, edited by Richard Van Emden.

A good intro to the early days of the war, running right through to it's end.

and

Some Desperate Glory- Edwin Campion Vaughan- a good taste of the trenches.....

For a newbie that doesn't want to be tied down with text, and would like some good and relevant photographs, plus still have a good text there to fall back on, I really don't think you can do better currently than Peter Barton's 'Battlefields of the First World War'. You can get it on Amazon and if you buy it via the Amazon links on this site, it will help support the forum.

Hi Paul

Can't find the link :(

I order loads of stuff through Amazon so if it helps the forum I'll use the link every time.

Andy B)

This is what you need:

Amazon Link - GWF

Cheers Paul

Is this the link that will benefit the site?

Andy

Yes!

It's the link Chris provided when he first flagged this up. Type 'amazon link' into the site search to check it if you wish.

No thats ok Paul

I thank you for the link, but I think my credit card will hate you for ever :lol::lol:

Andy

Andy,

I am assuming that the book must meet certain requirements:

1) provide an overview of the war from its origins pre 1914 to the conclusion in 1918;

2) cover all theatres of the war;

3) your newbie is British/Commonwealth and thus the overview has a slant towards the British effort when describing battles in a little more detail;

4) provide an overview of the political/strategic context in which major offensives were fought;

5) provide a balanced approach;

6) well written and thus easy to read; and

7) manageable by being less than 500 pages long.

Then I would have to support Joan's recommendation of John Keegan's The First World War

I haven't read Gilbert's book of the same title, but for a starter on gaining an overview of WW1 Keegan's work is an excellent history of the war, albiet for a British and Commonwealth audience. First class read.

Regards

Chris