Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

York and Lancaster Regt.

jay dubaya

I wonder if you might be able to help me with a Yorks and Lancs query as well -

My grandfather Lewis H Norris worked at Sheffield gas works before he joined up in 1914. On his marriage certificate for Feb 1915 it says he's a Pioneer with 148th Infantry Bridage, 49th Division. His Yorks and Lancs no is 2146 although he was subsequently moved to Royal Engineers (with another no)

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Di

Here's your Grandfathers' MIC you can download this for £3.50 It will show when he first entered the war, what medal entitlement and if he was wounded. He could have been in either York and Lancs 1/4th Battn. (Hallamshire) formed in Sheffield Aug. 1914 or 1/5th Battn. formed in Rotherham Aug. 1914 (both territorial units) but after these dates. They became part of 3rd West Riding Brigade, West Riding Division and on 15th May 1915 the formation became 148th Brigade, 49th (West Riding) Division.

He is also listed on CWGC which gives unit details for 2nd RE entry on his MIC

I'm sorry I can't be of much more help at the mo. but I hope this is of use to you, cheers, Jon :D

Di, just to add to the above the date of entry on the MIC may lead us to his first unit with the RE.

And here's a brief outline of Pioneers

Cheers and good luck, Jon :D

I wonder if you might be able to help me with a Yorks and Lancs query as well -

My grandfather Lewis H Norris worked at Sheffield gas works before he joined up in 1914. On his marriage certificate for Feb 1915 it says he's a Pioneer with 148th Infantry Bridage, 49th Division. His Yorks and Lancs no is 2146 although he was subsequently moved to Royal Engineers (with another no)

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Di

Hi there Di,

The listings of Battalions for the 49th Division does not list the Pioneer Battalion.

If you get in touch with the Regimental Museum, c/o Rotherham Central library, and give the curator the date of entry into the theatre of war they should be able to tell you what Battalion the Y&L landed that day.

My contact with the regimental museum, is Karl Noble he's busy but good.

Cheers Roger.

Hi Guys

thanks for the info and suggestions - I'll certainly write to the Y&L at Rotherham.

I have got my Norris Medal Card and the date of entry is 13.4.1915 And I know he was mentioned in Despatches on 30.4.1916 while he was still with Y&L

Sadly he died in March 1918 (attached to 3rd Field Survey Coy, Royal Engineers) before my mother was born so we know very little about him and I really appreciate any help I can get.

Di

Roger

I have been intouch with the National Archives and applied for the War Diaries,they informed me that it will take up to ten working days for them to send me an estimate.The document reference number is WO95/5499,if that is any help to you.

Best wishes

Joan

Roger

The reference number I gave you for the War Diaries was incorrect,I somehow mixed up the Pioneers with the R.E.,my Husband has searched again and found the correct number WO95/1955,sorry about that,I have just sent off for another estimate.

Regards

Joan

Roger

The reference number I gave you for the War Diaries was incorrect,I somehow mixed up the Pioneers with the R.E.,my Husband has searched again and found the correct number WO95/1955,sorry about that,I have just sent off for another estimate.

Regards

Joan

Hi there Joan,

Its no problem, just to let you know that I picked that copy of the History of the 7th Battalion up today and I have made a start on reading it, at first sight seems interesting and especially the 6 maps that are included in a pocket in the binding.

I have got it for a month and it is the one from Leeds University.

Cheers Roger.

• 1 year later...
Roger

The History of the 7th Service Battalion The York and Lancaster Regiment (Pioneers) was published in 1921.

It has taken us over ten years to obtain two copies,we are still searching for a third copy,we have three Grandchildren and would like each one of them to have further knowledge of their G.G.Grandfather and what he did in WW1,so the search goes on.

Some few months back we were offered a copy of the book on CD,but would rather wait and see if another book turns up,even though we will be in competition,best of luck to you in your search for a copy.

Regards

Joan

Joan

I have been searching for York and Lancaster Histories for a long time. There is a copy of the 7th Battalion history on Abe books website. Although it is £185. I managed to get my copy from ebay a few months ago. My interest is in the 10th Battalion. I hope this helps.

Regards

Dave

Hope you don't mind me taggin on to this thread, but is there any info or metnion of one of my relatives James Bowd who was posted to the York & Lancs from RGA at Newhaven in 1915 ? I do not know which battalian but do know he was sent to France and was discharged in September 1917 (badly wounded ?) He was from Egham so York & Lancs wasn't his local regt ! Any info appreciated

I will tag on as well...

Anyone know where I can find out more about the 3rd Bn Y&L between September 1915 and June 1916 - I believe during most of that time they formed part of Tyne Garrison and were based at Hylton Castle Camp Sunderland.

TIA

David