Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

York and Lancaster Regt.

jay dubaya

Hi all, do any of you knowledeable forumists out there have a great interest in the York & Lancs, I'm looking for any Woodhouses' that served in the ranks, any info much appreciated, many thanks in advance, cheers, Jon :D:rolleyes:

HI,

My Grandfather served with the 7th Service Battalion Yorks and Lancs Regiment (Pioneers),I have the service history.I also have the Sheffield Pals battalion Book on the 12th Battalion also the Barnsley book on the 13th and 14th Battalions,if it is any information on these please let me know and I will find out all I can for you.

regards

Joan

Thanks Joantel,

I recentley downloaded a short copy of Alphaeus Casey's Diary 12th Y&L Steel City Battn. which contains 2 references to Lieut. Woodhouse and also The Grout & Trout Inn at Redmires which was in the Woodhouse's name for a short time. I'm looking for the following Woodhouse's, George, William, Walter, Frank, Samuel, John, Hector, David, Henry, Joseph & Thomas, (not forgetting the Bill's, Harry's & Joe's etc!) so any references to these names would be a great bonus. They were all Sheffield men and all within the catchment age for enlisting. But any references to Woodhouse's in general as we are trying to fill another void in our family tree, many thanks in advance, cheers, Jon :rolleyes::D

Jon,

Have come across the following names,

Capt. C H Woodhouse wounded on 9th April 1916.With the 12th Y&L on 1st July at the Somme.Killed in action 6th June 1918 whilst serving with the 1/4th Y&L.? Tyne Cot Mem.

Pte. C W Woodhouse 4521 B Company 12 Y&L

J Woodhouse 12th Y&L early 1915

Pte W Woodhouse 1324 A Company 12th Y&L

Pte A. Woodhouse 36454 C Company 7th Y&L (Pioneers) wounde at Arras by shell fire on 12/5/17.

Hope some of this information is of use to you.

regards

Joan

Jay,

I'm sure there were Woodhouses in the 10th Battalion York & Lancs.

I will have a look to see what their christian names are, but i don't think there will be much else.

Rob

You may be aware that Woodhouse is also a village in the Y&L area. Probably totally irrelevant. The catchment area also included the Isle of Axeholme.

Roop

Lance Corporal JOSEPH HENRY DRAKES

8598, 2nd Bn., York and Lancaster Regiment

who died age 27

on 12 September 1916

Son of Robert and Mary Drakes, of Belton, Lincs.; husband of Emily Drakes, of Rochester Terrace, Buckhurst Rd., Frimley Green, Surrey.

Remembered with honour

FLATIRON COPSE CEMETERY, MAMETZ

You may be aware that Woodhouse is also a village in the Y&L area. Probably totally irrelevant. The catchment area also included the Isle of Axeholme.

Roop

Lance Corporal JOSEPH HENRY DRAKES

8598, 2nd Bn., York and Lancaster Regiment

who died age 27

on 12 September 1916

Son of Robert and Mary Drakes, of Belton, Lincs.; husband of Emily Drakes, of Rochester Terrace, Buckhurst Rd., Frimley Green, Surrey.

Remembered with honour

FLATIRON COPSE CEMETERY, MAMETZ

Cheers Roop,

I have an Aunt on my mothers' side that once lived at Woodhouse Sheffield & then moved to Woodhouse Mill where one side of the road was Sheffield & the other Rotherham. We've never found a link with names though, the Woodhouse family appear to have Derbyshire links so the next port of call will be the Forrester's.

Isle of Axeholme between the towns of Doncaster, Scunthorpe & Gainsborough which I'm sure, apart from 'Donny' is Lincolnshire. Cheers, Jon :D

• 3 weeks later...
HI,

My Grandfather served with the 7th Service Battalion Yorks and Lancs Regiment (Pioneers),I have the service history.I also have the Sheffield Pals battalion Book on the 12th Battalion also the Barnsley book on the 13th and 14th Battalions,if it is any information on these please let me know and I will find out all I can for you.

regards

Joan

Hi Joan,

I read this article with interest as my grandfather served in the 7th Service Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment(Pioneers) is service number was 11424, what I was wondering was how do you find out what Company he was in. He also had an attachment to the Naval Division.

Cheers Roger.

Hi Joan,

I read this article with interest as my grandfather served in the 7th Service Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment(Pioneers) is service number was 11424, what I was wondering was how do you find out what Company he was in. He also had an attachment to the Naval Division.

Cheers Roger.

Roger.

I have found the following information from the History of the Regiment.

11424 Pte. Thompson,W. A Company wounded on the 24/8/18 by shell fire.

Also the following is an extract from the book which helps to place where your Grandfather was at the time he was wounded.

"It was therefore with the patient resignation cumstomarily accorded to the whims of those in red hats,that the Battalion received orders on 20th August to move to Toutencourt at half-an-hours notice:they did so in a thick mist-literal and metaphorical.Next day a trying march in great heat and dust led to bivouacs near Forceville.Close by were two six-inch Naval guns which had just passed out of range at the time of the Battalion's arrival:this circumstance was perhaps the first to indicate the trend of operations.A and C Companies worked upon the crossings of the Ancre at Beaucort and Hamel and upon the approaches to them untill 23rd August.Then about dusk,orders for "der Tag" arrived.Headquarters moved to Auchonvillers and the Companies bivouacked west of Hamel for the night.Next morning at one o'clock "der Tag" broke."

Major Warner writes:-

"It was a fine sight from the high ground by Auchonvillers,this giant firework display stretching away into the night,to right and and to left,as far as eye could see-and much further.At first the news received by Battalion Headquarters was not too encouraging,but before very long a batch of prisoners arrived,quickly followed by others,including a Regimental Commander wearing rimless pince-nez and we heard that the attack had been highly successful. A and C Coys. did excellent work all day on the road west of the river and upon the cause-way over it at Hamel."

My Grandfather Sgt. Edgar Simms was also in A Company,so they would have known each other. The World does seem to get smaller as I grow older. I hope the information will help you,also try the Museum of the Regiment in Rotherham.

regards

Joan

Roger.

I have found the following information from the History of the Regiment.

11424 Pte. Thompson,W. A Company wounded on the 24/8/18 by shell fire.

Also the following is an extract from the book which helps to place where your Grandfather was at the time he was wounded.

"It was therefore with the patient resignation cumstomarily accorded to the whims of those in red hats,that the Battalion received orders on 20th August to move to Toutencourt at half-an-hours notice:they did so in a thick mist-literal and metaphorical.Next day a trying march in great heat and dust led to bivouacs near Forceville.Close by were two six-inch Naval guns which had just passed out of range at the time of the Battalion's arrival:this circumstance was perhaps the first to indicate the trend of operations.A and C Companies worked upon the crossings of the Ancre at Beaucort and Hamel and upon the approaches to them untill 23rd August.Then about dusk,orders for "der Tag" arrived.Headquarters moved to Auchonvillers and the Companies bivouacked west of Hamel for the night.Next morning at one o'clock "der Tag" broke."

Major Warner writes:-

"It was a fine sight from the high ground by Auchonvillers,this giant firework display stretching away into the night,to right and and to left,as far as eye could see-and much further.At first the news received by Battalion Headquarters was not too encouraging,but before very long a batch of prisoners arrived,quickly followed by others,including a Regimental Commander wearing rimless pince-nez and we heard that the attack had been highly successful. A and C Coys. did excellent work all day on the road west of the river and upon the cause-way over it at Hamel."

My Grandfather Sgt. Edgar Simms was also in A Company,so they would have known each other. The World does seem to get smaller as I grow older. I hope the information will help you,also try the Museum of the Regiment in Rotherham.

regards

Joan

Dear Joan,

Thanks very much for the information, brilliant.

Just to think 12 months ago all I had was his picture, since then slowly and patiently I and my cousin have pieced together about his war time service and this is the icing on the cake.

The Regimental Museum have helped me a lot but until I found his service number I was hitting my head against a brick wall.

The incident that confirmed it all was when I was nosing about in the Naval Division when I spotted the same name and service number for him, sent off to Kew, which confirmed them to be the same person and home address.

As you can see Joan it was like getting all my Christmas's at once.

All the very best for the New Year.

Dear Joan,

Thanks very much for the information, brilliant.

Just to think 12 months ago all I had was his picture, since then slowly and patiently I and my cousin have pieced together about his war time service and this is the icing on the cake.

The Regimental Museum have helped me a lot but until I found his service number I was hitting my head against a brick wall.

The incident that confirmed it all was when I was nosing about in the Naval Division when I spotted the same name and service number for him, sent off to Kew, which confirmed them to be the same person and home address.

As you can see Joan it was like getting all my Christmas's at once.

All the very best for the New Year.

Roger,

Very pleased to have been of some help to you and your Cousin.

I have also found a 11423 Pte. H. Hinchcliffe from A Company who was wounded on 27/12/1915,I have mentioned him as the number is one before your Grandfather.If the order of numbering of people was the still the same when I joined the W.R.A.F many years ago,you stood in a line and as each one went forward you were given the next number,so H. Hinchcliffe and your Grandfather would certainly have known each other.

Wishing you all the best for the New Year.

Joan

Roger,

Very pleased to have been of some help to you and your Cousin.

I have also found a 11423 Pte. H. Hinchcliffe from A Company who was wounded on 27/12/1915,I have mentioned him as the number is one before your Grandfather.If the order of numbering of people was the still the same when I joined the W.R.A.F many years ago,you stood in a line and as each one went forward you were given the next number,so H. Hinchcliffe and your Grandfather would certainly have known each other.

Wishing you all the best for the New Year.

Joan

Thank you very very much Joan,

One final bit of help if possible, the History of the Regiment is it publicly available or is it something kept at Kew.

Nice bit about Pvt Hincliffe, nobody in the family seems to be holding any of his papers and thats why its taken us so long, but once us Yorkies get our teeth into something we dont let go.

Cheers again Roger.

One final bit of help if possible, the History of the Regiment is it publicly available or is it something kept at Kew.

Nice bit about Pvt Hincliffe, nobody in the family seems to be holding any of his papers and thats why its taken us so long, but once us Yorkies get our teeth into something we dont let go.

Cheers again Roger.

Roger

The History of the 7th Service Battalion The York and Lancaster Regiment (Pioneers) was published in 1921.

It has taken us over ten years to obtain two copies,we are still searching for a third copy,we have three Grandchildren and would like each one of them to have further knowledge of their G.G.Grandfather and what he did in WW1,so the search goes on.

Some few months back we were offered a copy of the book on CD,but would rather wait and see if another book turns up,even though we will be in competition,best of luck to you in your search for a copy.

Regards

Joan

Cheers again Roger.

Roger,

Have you ever come across this site,it maybe of some use to you.

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.brit...general/mb.ashx

Regards

Joan

Roger,

Have you ever come across this site,it maybe of some use to you.

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.brit...general/mb.ashx

Regards

Joan

Roger,

I forgot to mention that the 7th Service Battalion Yorks and Lancs served with the 17th (Northern) Division,this may be of some further help to you.

Regards

Joan

Hi all,

This is my first post so I'm a novice with all this War talk! Upon looking at the picture rogerpopeye posted of his grandfather further up the page could someone please shed some light on what other patches would be on the uniform of a York and Lancaster private and whereabouts they should be. Looking at the picture his left arm only looks to have a signallers badge and a cross on it. Shouldn't the divisional & regimental patches be on there or were they on the right arm??

Thank you all who reply.

Regards.

Tom.

I hope Uncle Bill will not mind me telling you about this site,it could be handy for anyone wishing to find out more about the 17th (Northern) Division,which included the 7th Service Battalion Yorks and lancs Regiment.

Joan

http://17thdivison.tripod.com/index.html

Roger,

I forgot to mention that the 7th Service Battalion Yorks and Lancs served with the 17th (Northern) Division,this may be of some further help to you.

Regards

Joan

Hi there Joan,

Sorry but in all the fun and jolly of the New Year I am only just catching up.

I was aware of the 17(Northern) Division, and also the 50th Brigade, and thanks for that reference from Old Bill about the 17th(Northern) Divisio, very interesting.

I have not yet found a copy of the history of the 7th Battalion, Although Leeds University have a copy and I an trying to borrow it, for the time being that might be the only way of seeing it.

All the best,

Roger.

Roger

I have been intouch with the National Archives and applied for the War Diaries,they informed me that it will take up to ten working days for them to send me an estimate.The document reference number is WO95/5499,if that is any help to you.

Best wishes

Joan

Roger

I have been intouch with the National Archives and applied for the War Diaries,they informed me that it will take up to ten working days for them to send me an estimate.The document reference number is WO95/5499,if that is any help to you.

Best wishes

Joan

Hi again Joan,

Please do let me know, I have read about somewhere. On a different or should I say backto the start, your g/dad and mine where in the same company,could I enquire wether your g/dad survived the war.

Sorry about thetone of the last question just entrigued.

Yours Roger.

Hi again Joan,

Please do let me know, I have read about somewhere. On a different or should I say backto the start, your g/dad and mine where in the same company,could I enquire wether your g/dad survived the war.

Sorry about thetone of the last question just entrigued.

Yours Roger.

Hello Roger,

Yes I did say your Grandfather and mine served with the same Company A. 13110 Sgt. Edgar Simms,he survived the War and like many more did not really want to talk about it,we managed to get little stories from time to time.I only have one regret in my life and that is I never tried to persuade him to tell me more about his time in the Army.

After the War he went back to work at Dinnington Colliery.

Best wishes

Joan

Hello Roger,

Yes I did say your Grandfather and mine served with the same Company A. 13110 Sgt. Edgar Simms,he survived the War and like many more did not really want to talk about it,we managed to get little stories from time to time.I only have one regret in my life and that is I never tried to persuade him to tell me more about his time in the Army.

After the War he went back to work at Dinnington Colliery.

Best wishes

Joan

Hi Joan,

Once again thank you for allowing me the privelege of an insight into your family, I am glad he suvived the bloodshed, my regret is that my grandfather died 18 months before I was born,and the rest of the family have clammed up about him, so its really been a hard slog to get where me and my cousin have got.

My grandad was a miner before the war and at one time was down Houghton Main Colliery which I think was in the Barnsley coalfield.

After the war he must have got a taste for the fresh air as he moved up to Gomersal/ Birkenshaw area where he remained until his death.

Cheers Roger.