Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Notts & Derby at Gallipoli

Jim_Grundy

Geoff,

I was very lucky to be given a copy of this booklet while visiting Gallipoli.

The full title is "North Beach, Gallipoli 1915 - Commemorating ANZAC, Australia's Centenary of Federation". The copyright belongs to the Commonwealth of Australia 2001 and the book's code is ISBN 0 642 45719 0

I believe that it was produced at the time of the change over of the commemoration venue to its new site at North Beach. The book comprises two parts produced side-by-side; the sketches of Major Hore and the text of Dr. Richard Reid, "From that day on it was called the Sphinx"

Major L. F. S. Hore, MC., of the 8th LHR (Vic) arrived on Gallipoli as a Captain with the 4th reinforcements on 26th May and he was wounded at the Nek on 7th Aug, rejoining his unit on 28th September 1915. He later transferred to the 6th Brigade as Machine Gun Officer and served in France. He was promoted Lt-Colonel, won the MC and was Mentioned-in-Despatches by Haig. After the war he served for a time as Law Officer (he was a solicitor and barrister by profession) with the Naval and Military Expedition to Rabaul, New Britain. He died on his plantation in the Kavieng district of New Ireland on 1st September 1935.

There are 44 drawings. "Hore worked on small pieces of paper measuring in the main 13 X 17 cms or 12.5 X 55 cms. He does not seem at the time to have titled individual works but he wrote notes on them in pencil. These indicate place names and explain particular features of the scene. Later, Hore seems to have added, in pen, further annotations, some titles and his own initials. These works have lain largely unseen in the Mitchell Library since c.1919."

I would not be surprised if you could get hold of this book from the AWM and I thoroughly recommend it. The drawings certainly deserve to better known.

Best regards

Michael D.R.

I hope that you find the book Geoff

It's well worth the effort

Thanks for the congrats on the rugby

It had nothing to do with me really

I was cheering from the sofa with a glass of hot toddy,

fighting off a cold and various distractions

eg: the TV commentary was in a foreign language

and my family chose that hour to bath the Golden Retriever

Still, good game and the cold's getting better

All the best