Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History Of The South Staffordshire Regiment

Doug Lewis

Just Purchased copy,the book covers France,Flanders,Gallipoli,Egypt and Italy, 1914-18.

Willing to do lookups.

Regards Doug

• 6 months later...

Hi Doug

I would be grateful if you could look up Lt W G Fluke. He was awarded a DSO which was gazetted on 20 October 1916 whilst he was a temporary captain. Any information on where and when he won it would be interesting.

Thanks very much

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Steve.

Sorry for taking so long to reply,I have only have just seen your post.

There is no mention of him in the book,I do have the citation-

" For conspicuous gallentry during operations. He got up to the support line through a heavy barrage and reorganised the line when all the officers had become casualties. On another occasion he led a bombing attack, although his company were much exhausted and forced his way along the enemy trenches in an endeavour to reach a party of men who had been cut off. He showed utter disregard of personal safety."

Regards Doug.

Hi Doug

I wonder if you have any info on 2Lt Frank Aldridge Fawcett, killed in action on 1st July 1916 at Gommecourt serving with 5th Bn South Staffs Regt.

Regards

Jimmy

Jimmy

Sorry, the book does not refer to him.

Regards doug.

Doug

Many thanks for looking.

Regards

Jimmy

Guest Brummy

May I ask is there much mention of the 9th service Battalion during the last six months of the war. I am especialy interested in their involvment in Italy at this time.

Brum

Brummy

There are about 4 pages that refer to the 9th in Italy.

Regards Doug.

Guest Brummy

Thats great Doug. I have been looking up a Private Arthur Mason, whome I found in soldiers died He died 31 October 1918 and is buried in Genoa cemetery. I could find very little about the 9th in Italy in the books available to me I doubt wether Private Mason will be in the regimental history but was wondering if the ninth where involved in any actions near the end of the War or wether I am more likely to be looking at a death caused by accident or disease. Again thank you information on the British involvment on the Italian front has proved to be very hard to find here.

Brum

Brummy

Send me an email adress and I'll send you a copy of the pages.

Regards Doug

Hi Doug

I have PM d you my email address. and thanks ever so much for your time and effort. The only books I have found localy on the Italian front are Francis Mackay's two battle ground Europe books and although good guides they obviously can not show the details of all units involved. So your informationis very welcome.

Brum

Brummy

I have sent copy of two chapters relating to South Staffords in Italy,hope it hasn't overloaded your inbox.

Regards Doug.

Brum

Hope there were useful.

Regards Doug.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest woodyudet

Doug,

Is the involvement of 2/5 and 2/6 South Staffs in the supression of the easter rising in Dublin 1916 covered by the History at all?

many thanks,

regards,

woody

Woody

There are two pages that give a brief run down of events in Ireland,mainly referring to the 2/6th.

I have the War History of the Sixth Btn South Staffordshire Rgt which has a whole chapter,tell me what you information you would like.

Regards Doug.

Woody

Will try and get info to you some time tomorrow,can you email me with the email address you want the info to go to.

Regards Doug

Woody

Have sent the information,you should have received 8 emails,hope I haven't overloaded your inbox.

Regards Doug.

Guest woodyudet

All received and read ok - many thanks. I was actually in N King Street 3 weeks ago - although many of the buildings have changed, you get an appreciation of the narrowness of the road and the difficulty of fighting down it.

Woody

Glad to hear you got info,did you take any pictures while you were there?

Regards Doug

Guest woodyudet

Yes - a couple of hundred - although not that many of North King Street as a lot of it has been rebuilt / is a building site, and it isn't really the sort of place you want to take a camera out.

Took pics of:

Mount Street Bridge area [quite a few here]

Beggars Bush

City Hall & surrounding area

GPO

Stephens Green area

Marrowbone Lane area

collins/royal barracks

Trinity college

If you're interested in 2/6 S Staffs, the best place to go is up the old distillery chimney. This gives a good view of the area fought over and the building was actually used by the rebels during the battle of N King St.

• 6 months later...

Doug

I am interested in the 1st South Staffords in Italy - my late father was a 19 year old private in B Company - he died when I was a young child in 1954 - we just have some fading memories of stories he told us of crossing a river at night - the Piave I have since learnt - he was later given a stamp album by a gratefull Austrian prisoner which my brother still has with a dated inscription referring to an act of kindness.

If you get the time I would be gratefull for any mentions the History of the 1stBatt and B Company in particular.

Many thanks

David Fox